Delta offers no change fees for all international flights...

VermeulT

Here's the full info with details highlighted below.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/other-alerts/coronavirus-situation

• Affected Customers: All international tickets (not including travel within the U.S. 50) issued between March 1, 2020 - March 31, 2020
  • Impacted Travel Date(s): March 1, 2020 - February 25, 2021
  • Ticket Must Be Issued On/Before: February 28, 2021
  • Rebooked Travel Must Begin No Later Than: February 28, 2021

Options include - Remain on current flight, change to a different flight, cancel current flights and get a credit with Delta that needs to be used within one year of original booking date.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Read that closely.  It is for tickets PURCHASED between March 1 and March 31.  If you have a previously issued ticket, you are not covered.

Also note that while change fees are waived, there may be a change in fare and that is NOT waived.  In other words, usually you are charged a fee just for the privilege of changing the flight.  This is a set amount.   If the flight you then book when you make the change costs more or less than the flight you were previously booked on, that is a difference in fare.  If it's more, you pay the difference; if it's less, you get the difference refunded.

The link includes slightly different parameters for transatlantic travel to Italy, and transpacific travel to select cities in Asis. 

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Also note that while change fees are waived, there may be a change in fare and that is NOT waived.  In other words, usually you are charged a fee just for the privilege of changing the flight.  This is a set amount.   If the flight you then book when you make the change costs more or less than the flight you were previously booked on, that is a difference in fare.  If it's more, you pay the difference; if it's less, you get the difference refunded.

The link includes slightly different parameters for transatlantic travel to Italy, and transpacific travel to select cities in Asis. 

It's the change fee for "the privilege of changing the flight" that usually hurts most.  I think it can be as much as $150.  Yes - you then pay the fare at the time of re-booking... may go up...may go down.  At least you're not out the $150.

I think they are hoping to convince people to go ahead and purchase.  Many people, myself included, are hesitant to book not knowing what might happen and not wanting to take that $100-150 hit.  Maybe they'll go ahead and purchase and then change should conditions warrant.

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Read that closely.  It is for tickets PURCHASED between March 1 and March 31.  If you have a previously issued ticket, you are not covered.

Not by what I quoted - but I HAVE seen several airlines allowing people to make changes for existing ticketed flights in a certain window for no change fee.

17 hours ago, VermeulT said:

It's the change fee for "the privilege of changing the flight" that usually hurts most.  I think it can be as much as $150. 

For international it's often more than that.  As for whether the change fee or difference in fare is more, it all depends on the ticket, travel date, and the change you're making.  If you're changing to a different destination and making the change relatively last minute, one could easily find the fare difference to be astronomical.  Granted, those taking advantage of the waiver you posted are more likely just canceling and getting a credit to use in the future. 

17 hours ago, VermeulT said:

Not by what I quoted - but I HAVE seen several airlines allowing people to make changes for existing ticketed flights in a certain window for no change fee.

Yes- what you actually posted said it was for tickets issued between Mar 1 and Mar 31, 2020.  That would mean it doesn't apply to tickets purchased, say, 3 months ago.

Just as an FYI, the original Delta link no longer works.

I am looking to purchase tickets to HNL and would prefer to fly Delta.  “Unfortunately” it looks like United is going to win out since they offer the waiver to all flights; not just international.  Oh well.

22 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Just as an FYI, the original Delta link no longer works.

I am looking to purchase tickets to HNL and would prefer to fly Delta.  “Unfortunately” it looks like United is going to win out since they offer the waiver to all flights; not just international.  Oh well.

My guess is that since the virus situation is constantly evolving, Delta is changing/expanding the waiver and know it might continue to do so.  Therefore they may not want to post it.  At least give them a call and see what the deal is and if domestic flights are now included. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

My guess is that since the virus situation is constantly evolving, Delta is changing/expanding the waiver and know it might continue to do so.  Therefore they may not want to post it.  At least give them a call and see what the deal is and if domestic flights are now included. 

Thanks Waterbug.  That is a good suggestion and I will keep it in mind.  With the situation picking up speed in the US my inclination is to take a wait-and-see approach for now.  That is a lot of money to be tied up with so many unknowns.