Possible solo cruise for the first time in a long time!

gailellen12

I am hoping to use up my FCC from a cancelled HAL cruise for another cruise  later this summer or fall, if things are settled by then.   My friends who were supposed to join me are unable to come and I am not sure when we can vacation together again.  Our schedules are pretty tight for the next year.  It looks like I will be cruising solo.  I have done it before but it has been awhile.  I remember last time my biggest issue was the dining experience.  I need advice on how you handle mealtime.  As I remember before I did free style (pick your own time) but I was thinking this go round I might do assigned time.  I think it would be easier to get to know the same people.  If that doesn't work out; there is always the Lido deck!  Thanks for any advice and words of encouragement.

First of all, read some of the old threads here and get the stories from us who really enjoy our solo cruises. It should allay any doubts you have about having a truly great time. Many people find dining the toughest adjustment and we all adapt to our own desires (remember, when cruising solo, it is all about you and doing what you want). I've been on HAL solo a few times and personally prefer to have Anytime dining and eat alone. I'm not anti-social, but really enjoy the 1on1 service I get and a meal paced for me. There is also a lot to be said for having the same tablemates at the end of the day, so a fixed seating would be fine. If the chemistry isn't there, you can request another table or change to Anytime dining - It's all up to you. Plus Lido and the specialty restaurants (I'm not sure which ship you will be on, but I have always had stellar solo meals at Tamarind).

Enjoy your cruise!

Good morning,  many, many years ago I always chose traditional dining. Eating at the same table every night, etc....

I found it good for me at that time and part of it was I enjoyed eating late as well as sitting with folks every night.

As the years have gone by,  I have changed and so my views have changed as well. I prefer eating

at my choice of times and who I sit with and my choices of cruise lines have changed as well. I am now able to

cruise on smaller, more intimate ships.  It is very easy to meet others on a much smaller vessel and the timing

works better for me now.

So, there is not one right answer for everyone.   I hope you have a good cruise (whenever anyone is able to sail

again):classic_smile:

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  many, many years ago I always chose traditional dining. Eating at the same table every night, etc....

I found it good for me at that time and part of it was I enjoyed eating late as well as sitting with folks every night.

As the years have gone by,  I have changed and so my views have changed as well. I prefer eating

at my choice of times and who I sit with and my choices of cruise lines have changed as well. I am now able to

cruise on smaller, more intimate ships.  It is very easy to meet others on a much smaller vessel and the timing

works better for me now.

So, there is not one right answer for everyone.   I hope you have a good cruise (whenever anyone is able to sail

again):classic_smile:

What Lois said!! 🙂  And OMG, kennystwin, you really really do look like him!! 😀

9 hours ago, kennystwin said:

That actually is a picture of him, but I do look just like him (before the bad eye job).

LOL......well, you are a good looking man:classic_biggrin:

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 7:41 AM, gailellen12 said:

As I remember before I did free style (pick your own time) but I was thinking this go round I might do assigned time.  I think it would be easier to get to know the same people. 

I have been cruising solo or with my son (age 10 up to 18).  What I have found:

1. Assigned Time Dining:  The first day when I get on the ship I go to the maitre d' and discuss my seating assignment.  I try to get on a larger table so if there is someone I do not like there are other people to buffer.  I also check to see how many kids are on the table.  I have always found the maitre d' very helpful in changing my seating to one I am configurable with.  There was one occasion that after the first dinner I had them change me and my son to a different table because we were with a divorced dad and daughter that spent the night complaining about the ex.  The next night we were at a table of 10 very nice people.
  2. Any time dining:  I almost always ask for a large table and not all couples.  They always seem to match me with a large table of families or friends traveling together.  After the first or second night the people seating us knows what I am looking for.
  3. NCL Solo Dinning:  On most of the NCL cruises they have reserved dinning for people traveling Solo.  Always someone to talk to and enjoy their company.