What is X doing to sanitize affected ships ?

hcat

9 hours ago, greykitty said:

My question would be how will cruise lines modify cleaning of personal and public spaces between cruises going forward.  It seems to me from reading here that every cruise line basically practices minimal cleaning between cruises; people get off at 9:00 am and people get on around noon same day, a schedule like that?  

If that's true, obviously there is minimal sanitizing cleaning being done - possibly even less than the local Comfort Inn between guest arrivals. 

Should cruise lines be mandated to allow for actual sanitizing of spaces between cruises?  Even if that means taking an entire day, or two, between cruises?  And, yes, of course fares would go up to reflect this loss of 'days'.  Fair trade?

I've wondered about this myself.  With so little time between passengers getting out of the cabins and back into the cabins, how thorough can the cleaning actually be?   I know they change the linens, and vacuum, and give the bathroom a good wipe down (I doubt they do any actual sanitizing) … but they certainly don't clean (and by clean, I mean wash) out the drawers or shelves or safes … or clean the remotes or the phone ...

This is now a real concern for many of us … and I certainly don't "have" to get on the ship by lunchtime or "have" to get in my cabin by 1 pm!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Sorry, but it is a fact! The "traces" found in the article mentioned by the OP are dead!

The virus itself is not present any more in a reproductive shape.
Simply look at the recent studies of virologists and you will understand. Markeb explained it well in post #6 and TeeRick in post #14.

Again, I have no intention to downplay the danger of the virus. I am simply trying to stick to facts.
This post is about cleaning the ships - which is of course it is a good idea! But after sitting idle for weeks without any virus present there is no danger of getting infected by touching anything on one of the ships.

Miaminice is trying to relay the information as reported in the scientific literature and also the scientific opinions about the longevity of active, infectious virus on surfaces.  On the ship surfaces in the report, the "Traces" of the virus is actually confusing nomenclature.  They are not likely "traces" of whole virus but "fragments" of the viral genome as detected by the PCR test because of its' high sensitivity.  However the PCR test would also detect whole virus and active virus and it is being used right now to analyze COVID-19 positive people in the US and elsewhere.  So the only way to know for sure would be to do an actual test to culture live virus from these surfaces.  I agree that it is not likely at all to be present after months on surfaces, but so little is known about this particular virus that it still remains to be proven.  What to do?  1) Extensive cleaning. 2) PCR test for whole viral genome or viral fragments. 3) Any positive areas for whole viral genome then examined for live virus culture.    This will probably be done (and is being done) extensively in hospitals and areas near infected patients and then we will all understand a lot more about the longevity of live infectious virus on surfaces.  And the cleaning procedures to remove them.  This will help guide the cruise industry to the proper cleaning methods.