Fleet Reduction?

rolloman

1 hour ago, DryCreek said:

I've been thinking - while a lot of people think that the smaller Fantasy Class ships may be sold off at bargain basement process, I think that maybe they may be the first ones Carnival thinks about leading the return to cruising with.  Start out small to assess the demand, and then slowly start filling the larger ships as the smaller ones sell out.

Your thinking makes sense, but there are a few issues. First off, the entire Fantasy class has been for sale for years. Eight identical ships, all showing their age.  Cruises on them go for bargain basement prices already and they get a lot of scathing reviews. Many people think they should have been scrapped long ago. When asked for recommendations between Fantasy class ships and any other Carnival ships, few commenters will recommend Fantasy class.  Now don't get me wrong. There are plenty of people who like them, but probably not enough to keep them all full going forward. 

I would expect the opposite strategy. Offer good deals on all the Vista and Dream class ships, the biggest and newest, because loyal Carnival cruisers may be enticed by a newer ship they haven't tried yet for a good deal.  People who consider Carnival a bargain basement brand would be more likely to try one of their newer ships than an old one.  If the ship doesn't sail full, this gives the line a chance to try out some level of distancing between passengers rather than the normal crowded conditions. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

If the ship doesn't sail full, this gives the line a chance to try out some level of distancing between passengers rather than the normal crowded conditions. 

If the ship doesn't sail full, the cruise line loses money.  Why staff and sail a ship booked to say only 50 to 75% capacity?

If you can offer bargain-basement prices with new itineraries, and sail with 90 to 100% capacity, that may be the best option.  When the isolation ends and everyone is aching to just get away, three and four day cruises should be in high demand.  I think the cautious approach makes the best business sense - test the waters and see what the true demand is before you commit to restaffing and sailing larger vessels at a loss.