Now for something completely different

I would be pretty choked if someone plunked that plate down and expected to pay $19.00. For that price there better be 2 snags, 2 bacon, a slice of ham and don't forget the grilled mushrooms and tomato. There seems to be an awful lot of plate where the hash browns should be too.

Something more like this

B52Brekkie.thumb.jpg.64d99a65f07b0733eb71e2d1a9c0b061.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 11:11 AM, Blackduck59 said:

20240105_165830.thumb.jpg.45b6d6eb209e3e3fe4dca86b787adaf1.jpg

We had snags for supper. The plate fillers are beetroot, a jacket potato and some pickled cauliflower. 

I'll come to your house any time for diner.  Is that a potato cut horizontally? Did you cook beetroot?  How do you pickle cauliflower?   I love fresh cooked beetroot.  My last beetroot from market was a pale colour and was delicious.  I'll probably never see it again.  "What do you mean a pale purple beetroot?"

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I'll come to your house any time for diner.  Is that a potato cut horizontally? Did you cook beetroot?  How do you pickle cauliflower?   I love fresh cooked beetroot.  My last beetroot from market was a pale colour and was delicious.  I'll probably never see it again.  "What do you mean a pale purple beetroot?"

See my post 7670 above for a quick, tasty pickle method.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I would be pretty choked if someone plunked that plate down and expected to pay $19.00. For that price there better be 2 snags, 2 bacon, a slice of ham and don't forget the grilled mushrooms and tomato. There seems to be an awful lot of plate where the hash browns should be too.

Something more like this

Ham and bacon together? I would just have all bacon.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes the potato is baked, then cut horizontally and the flesh removed from the jacket. Then you mix in some butter, sour cream, chives (green onions are often used), bacon bits if you like and these ones had cheddar cheese too. Put everything back in the jacket and bake again. The beetroot is cooked (probably too much) to be quite soft. They started out deep red with paler rings. There is a huge variety of beets available depending on the time of year. The cauliflower comes in a jar of sweet mixed pickles.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The picture is of a B52 breakfast from Spitfire Grill, it's about $19.00. Very similar to a "Full English" but no beans or black pudding.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Something more like this

Yes, for that price I would want a FULL English breakfast with orange juice and a bottomless cup of coffee at the very least.

2 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Leigh, how is Rob faring?

Thanks for asking Linda. He is recovering slowly but quite well. He saw the surgeon just before Christmas who was very pleased with his progress. Rob hasn't had to use the negative pressure machine since that visit to the surgeon but has his dressing changed Monday, Wednesday and Friday by a nurse from the Hospital in The Home Service. He is walking well now and nearly ready to use a stick after using crutches. The wound is getting smaller and is looking much better. It has been a long haul and still a way to go. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Sunday, We went to Eaton's Hotel for a birthday celebration,  It was packed with happy eaters.  This hotel is just outside the NW ? of Brisbane.  I was amazed that they were able to charge such high prices "in the sticks" as it used be called.  It reminded me of the old Breakfast Creek Hotel in its prime and ours.  It is all about the cut and high quality of the steak. 

Just to tempt you, we had -

oysters

raw tuna

2 small round steaks

1 marbled oblong steak

1 curry (last butter chicken)

3 deserts (plum pudding for me)

wine

cocktails

coffee 

bottled sparkling water 

I only paid for the two birthday girls who share the same birthday, so hate to think what the total bill was.  A good time was had by all 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The picture is of a B52 breakfast from Spitfire Grill, it's about $19.00. Very similar to a "Full English" but no beans or black pudding.

The price of a full English breakfast is around $27-$28 if not dearer. At Les' favourite City Extra at Circular Quay, the cost of a big breakfast - the Australian equivalent of a full English, also without baked beans and black pudding which I have never found served here, the cost is $28.

The Big Breakfast

$28.00
  • GF Optional
The lot – you’d better be hungry! 2 eggs, a sausage, rasher of bacon, grilled tomato, hashbrown potatoes and a toasted roll
image.thumb.png.b39d74e65835eed288f8b2317a426a74.png
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the update on Bob's condition Leigh. Hopefully he will have a full recovery and won't need the walking stick for long.

Take Care, Lyle & Lynn

Thank you. It is quite amazing how much progress he has made and hopefully will continue to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The price of a full English breakfast is around $27-$28 if not dearer. At Les' favourite City Extra at Circular Quay, the cost of a big breakfast - the Australian equivalent of a full English, also without baked beans and black pudding which I have never found served here, the cost is $28.

The Big Breakfast

$28.00
  • GF Optional
The lot – you’d better be hungry! 2 eggs, a sausage, rasher of bacon, grilled tomato, hashbrown potatoes and a toasted roll

Admittedly, I haven't been out to breakfast for a while but last time it was around the $20 mark for a big brekky at our local cafe. Mind you, for a plate like that $28 is not bad. You certainly wouldn't need lunch after it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The Big Breakfast

$28.00
  • GF Optional

Wow $28.00, I'm looking at the B52 as a bargain now. I think we will have to get rooms with kitchenettes when we go down under and make our own breakfast.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Admittedly, I haven't been out to breakfast for a while but last time it was around the $20 mark for a big brekky at our local cafe. Mind you, for a plate like that $28 is not bad. You certainly wouldn't need lunch after it!

I never eat a big breakfast, I struggle with just two eggs on toast. I think since the return to eating out regularly after Covid that the costs of eating out have gone up along with the general cost of living. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Wow $28.00, I'm looking at the B52 as a bargain now. I think we will have to get rooms with kitchenettes when we go down under and make our own breakfast.

Or book a hotel where breakfast is included. Our son and his family will be in Sydney in a couple of weeks staying at Darling Harbour where their hotel has included buffet breakfast. But booking an apartment with a kitchen is a good idea particularly if there is a laundry included.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes the potato is baked, then cut horizontally and the flesh removed from the jacket. Then you mix in some butter, sour cream, chives (green onions are often used), bacon bits if you like and these ones had cheddar cheese too. Put everything back in the jacket and bake again. The beetroot is cooked (probably too much) to be quite soft. They started out deep red with paler rings. There is a huge variety of beets available depending on the time of year. The cauliflower comes in a jar of sweet mixed pickles.

Interesting  I've only seen baked potatoes here standing up, with the top third cut off, with everything put back in. Every pickle in US gets picked of plate in US by my girls.  Is pickles a European thing?

W

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Interesting  I've only seen baked potatoes here standing up, with the top third cut off, with everything put back in. Every pickle in US gets picked of plate in US by my girls.  Is pickles a European thing?

W

We only had home made mustard pickles (made with cauliflower) with corned silverside. 

Eating out in NZ has become very expensive too. I grit my teeth at cafe prices, even just for a small slice of cake (and they've definitely shrunk of late) or a muffin - daylight robbery!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

We often do that when travelling. As well as being cheaper it's more relaxing. I'm not really civilised until I've had breakfast with a pot of strong English Breakfast tea.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

W

I've never been fond of pickles, except for Japanese ones as they use less vinegar. But my mother used to like them with cold meats, as does Rolf. I hate the American pickles (gherkins) but oddly enough I quite like the tiny French versions (cornichons) in very small quantities. I'm just starting to enjoy mustard pickles with corned beef.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've never been fond of pickles, except for Japanese ones as they use less vinegar. But my mother used to like them with cold meats, as does Rolf. I hate the American pickles (gherkins) but oddly enough I quite like the tiny French versions (cornichons) in very small quantities. I'm just starting to enjoy mustard pickles with corned beef.

I have just cooked some corned beef for dinner tonight and for sandwiches for a couple of days.  Mustard pickles will be served with it.

• Like 1

I go out for breakfast/brunch  reasonably often and $20 - $25 for big breakfast is fairly standard.

what you get varies but something like sausages, 2 eggs, toast, bacon, tomato, hash browns, mushrooms

I have sometimes seen baked beans i n there too.

On 1/3/2024 at 9:20 AM, JohnGc said:

Thanks Les, That was terrible for your sister & brother. It was bad enough for us let alone having visitors. Only bought a few essentials as we need confidence that the power is going to stay on. The wife said the supermarket shelves were fairly bare. The disaster fund pay out for the  the food that was perished will be a big help, it does not cover for what we lost but I am grateful for what we got. You having no power for 2 weeks during the bushfire was a long time we found 6 days was bad enough. We feel lucky though after seeing the houses on Mount Tamborine that got smashed and I am not sure if they have power yet as it is going to take a long time to renew all the power equip wment. They were talking about getting them on generators. 

Cheers John.

My heart goes out to the peopIe of Mt Tamborine.  I didn't realise just how much the loss of power and internet effected me. As you say, we lost confidence that we may loose power again.  We lost power for the least amount of time and didn't loose any food, because we put two bags of ice in the old style ice box fridge which lasted longer than a week.  However, I have no BBQ, no non electric cooking choices, no cups of tea. When the TV went off unexpectedly, I automatically jumped up and started cooking so I would have something to eat.  I started planning ahead, eg plum pudding must be cooked 40 mins, then you can reheat it.  I ate a whole plum pudding over the period.  I kept boiled water in a 24 hr flask so I could have a cup of tea.  I kept bottles of cold boiled water.  I remembered things i'd learnt at Water Resources during the Brisbane's big flood.  Like fill the bathtub before water gets contaminated. Fill a basin, so you can wash your dirty feet.  Use disinfectant.  Someone should write a book. 

PS Lots of workmen still in our area.  Major problems apart from electricity is damage from roots of big trees lifting.  Lots have lifted huge blocks of concrete in our area.  A man couldnt lift it to fix so dangerous to walk around, eg no fences 

• Like 1