Ship Officers and other white collar staff

voljeep

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While there is significant crew onboard, yes, the medical staff will likely remain.  Doctor's certification (and I believe the CDC is still holding cruise ship crew to this unnecessary requirement) could be obtained by a doctor brought onboard to examine those ready to disembark.  That will be until either the CDC sees reason, or the cruise lines sue the CDC for discriminatory practices against their crew.

Guess that won’t happen if they want to sail to/from USA again 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Julia’s Journey’s said:

Guess that won’t happen if they want to sail to/from USA again 😂😂😂

Why?  The government is found guilty of wrongdoing and discrimination all the time, and adverse judgments don't result in the businesses, industries, or individuals from operating in the US in the future.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Oh, and just to clarify, I have never considered myself to be a "white collar" job.  Seafaring is definitely a blue collar profession.

Agreed, my dad was a chief mate for Texaco for many years back in the day. I was privileged, due to my job, to follow him around on board when he would port in the Houston area. I never saw a man work so hard to this day. BTW, he's 93, fishing guide on Lake Sam Rayburn, and still cruises. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Crews are required to have a drill of some description (fire, abandon ship, collision, pollution, enclosed space entry, etc) at least once a  week.  There must be a fire drill and an abandon ship drill at least monthly.

I couldn't recall the weekly interval...it's only been 28-32 years since I did that work.  I helped run them on the floating rig, and those can get interesting...could be a simulated fire in the galley up to an uncontrolled kick on the rig floor. In those drills often the lifeboats were even launched....nothing better than seeing how small you look in a lifeboat bobbing in the GOM driving away from the rig. Rig looks small from a helicopter...at least we had neighbors about 10-12 miles away. 

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I know that at the Texas/Louisiana border the Texas state troopers were stopping anyone with LA plates and getting their name, phone number, home address, and the address in Texas where they would be quarantining, and they showed up at these locations a week later to see if the people were really there.

Just out of curiosity, where did you cross the Tx-LA border, on I-10,  between Newton & Merryville or further north at Shreveport?

Tom

5 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Just out of curiosity, where did you cross the Tx-LA border, on I-10,  between Newton & Merryville or further north at Shreveport?

Tom

I didn't, but I know of people who did at the I-10.