Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
duquephart

Charges Against Credit

Recommended Posts

Hypothetical:  A couple has shipboard/onboard (is there a difference?) credit of "$200 each" for a total of $400. How are charges against this credit account handled? Is a purchase just subtracted from the total for the cabin or divided between the two occupants? If one occupant buys an artical of clothing, for instance, is it charged to his/her portion of the total or half to both? What I'm getting at is what if one person goes over "their" total? Is the excess then put on a credit card or deducted form the other persons total? Might seem silly but I'm leery of why Viking doesn't just grant credit to the cabin rather than to each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All "Shipboard Credits" from Viking, as outlined in your contract at time of booking, are applied to your account at time of boarding the vessel. They also add any other credits from TA's, etc.

 

They start with a single credit total and each purchase is debited from that total, regardless of who makes the purchase. In our experience, when you have both non-refundable and refundable credits, the debits are deducted from the non-refundable credits first, until they are cleared. When you also have Shore-ex credits, spa credits and shop credits, it doesn't matter who or where you spend the money.

 

Throughout our almost 4 months on board the Viking staff were exceptional in their handling of our accounts, especially as many of us had many thousands of dollars of credits, especially when all the pre-paid tours were cancelled.

 

We noted a single posting error and a quick trip to the Customer Service Desk and it was fixed immediately. By the time I returned to the cabin and checked the telly, it was fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

All "Shipboard Credits" from Viking, as outlined in your contract at time of booking, are applied to your account at time of boarding the vessel. They also add any other credits from TA's, etc.

 

They start with a single credit total and each purchase is debited from that total, regardless of who makes the purchase. In our experience, when you have both non-refundable and refundable credits, the debits are deducted from the non-refundable credits first, until they are cleared. When you also have Shore-ex credits, spa credits and shop credits, it doesn't matter who or where you spend the money.

 

Throughout our almost 4 months on board the Viking staff were exceptional in their handling of our accounts, especially as many of us had many thousands of dollars of credits, especially when all the pre-paid tours were cancelled.

 

We noted a single posting error and a quick trip to the Customer Service Desk and it was fixed immediately. By the time I returned to the cabin and checked the telly, it was fixed.

 

"Shore-ex credits, spa credits and shop credits" What are these? All I need is for Viking to throw a few more terms my way Are there limits/restrictions as to where shipboard/onboard credit may be spent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our first TA, all our OBC was credited to hubby’s account and none to mine. At the end of the cruise, he had a credit and I had a balance due.  As Heidi13 noted, a quick call to customer service and it was all straightened out so that we both had a zero balance at disembarkation.  Since then, even though the charges show up in individually, the joint account has always been correct. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

All "Shipboard Credits" from Viking, as outlined in your contract at time of booking, are applied to your account at time of boarding the vessel. They also add any other credits from TA's, etc.

 

They start with a single credit total and each purchase is debited from that total, regardless of who makes the purchase. In our experience, when you have both non-refundable and refundable credits, the debits are deducted from the non-refundable credits first, until they are cleared. When you also have Shore-ex credits, spa credits and shop credits, it doesn't matter who or where you spend the money.

 

Throughout our almost 4 months on board the Viking staff were exceptional in their handling of our accounts, especially as many of us had many thousands of dollars of credits, especially when all the pre-paid tours were cancelled.

 

We noted a single posting error and a quick trip to the Customer Service Desk and it was fixed immediately. By the time I returned to the cabin and checked the telly, it was fixed.

 

Can you point to where the shipboard language appears? It would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, duquephart said:

 

Can you point to where the shipboard language appears? It would be appreciated.

 

On our invoice/booking form, the Shipboard Credits were listed after the cancellation terms on page 2. The additional credits were on page 5, after the itinerary.

 

If you cruise doesn't include SBC, then these areas are blank. Also on shorter cruises, with shorter itinerary the page numbers will be different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

 

On our invoice/booking form, the Shipboard Credits were listed after the cancellation terms on page 2. The additional credits were on page 5, after the itinerary.

 

If you cruise doesn't include SBC, then these areas are blank. Also on shorter cruises, with shorter itinerary the page numbers will be different.

 

Yes. Those granted just recently have now appeared as you say. What I'm looking for is a definition of terms, specifically what the credits may, and may not, be used for. There should be some language somewhere. Any idea? Asking Viking reps has only led to multiple, conflicting and confusing answers although a policy must exist. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, my Viking agent told me shipboard credit (SBC) is Viking’s term for what other cruise lines call on board credit (OBC).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duquephart said:

 

Yes. Those granted just recently have now appeared as you say. What I'm looking for is a definition of terms, specifically what the credits may, and may not, be used for. There should be some language somewhere. Any idea? Asking Viking reps has only led to multiple, conflicting and confusing answers although a policy must exist. Thanks.

 

Not aware of any explanations, we just figured it out based on the names and confirmed once aboard. These were what we had, noting that shorter cruises can be different

  • Shore-ex - this is the industry term for Shore Excursions, which in the Viking world applies to the optional excursions. our Shore-Ex credits were available in MVJ to purchase optional excursions. With the credits we simply booked them and once credits were exhausted, we had to input a credit card to complete the booking
  • Spa Credits - simply an accounting process, as they can be spent anywhere
  • Shop Credits - another accounting process, as they can be spent anywhere

Once aboard our folio listed them all by category and person, with the TA credits and others we had. On the World cruise our credits were further assigned to refundable and refundable, with separate tally at the bottom of the report. Basically everything provided by Viking is non-refundable, while all others are refundable.

 

When pre-paid excursions are cancelled, the money is refunded to your account - non refundable if credits were used to purchase it and refundable, if purchased with a credit card.

 

The onboard account lists the total credit remaining or balance due. In our case we never got the credits anywhere close to zero, so no idea how they handle a balance due. Every time we made a purchase the outstanding balance was deducted. They did not track amounts to each category - example:

  • Shore-ex credit - $1,000 pp
  • Spa credit - $500 pp
  • Shop credit - $500 pp

 

The folio on board would have shown a total available of $4,000. Every purchase reduced the balance, regardless of the type of purchase. If we spent $1,200 in the spa, the total balance was reduced by $1,200 rather than only $1,000 (per spa credits) plus we owed the extra $200.

 

Also, if you have both refundable and non-refundable credits, Viking reduces the non-refundable ones first, so all non-refundable credits are exhausted before starting to reduce the refundable credits.

 

This is how it worked on the Sun during the World Cruise, so imagine it will be similar on shorter cruises.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Long story short I'm insisting Viking provide me a document stating what the credit they are granting is. We don't care what they call it so long as we have it on paper where and under what circumstances it can be used. Anything other than "anywhere" will be unacceptable. We already have plenty of voucher credit for excursions, bev package, "gratuities" and the like so we want this other credit to be for use in the spa, jewelry store, etc. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, duquephart said:

Thanks. Long story short I'm insisting Viking provide me a document stating what the credit they are granting is. We don't care what they call it so long as we have it on paper where and under what circumstances it can be used. Anything other than "anywhere" will be unacceptable. We already have plenty of voucher credit for excursions, bev package, "gratuities" and the like so we want this other credit to be for use in the spa, jewelry store, etc. Thanks again!

 

Your "Guest Statement" aka booking confirmation specifies all Shipboard Credits that are provided by Viking, so that is the definitive document, or contract. Additional credits from other sources are not included in the Viking contract. Our TA credits were included on our TA contract, but did not show with Viking until we boarded.

 

Viking have no control over when the TA actually sends the funds to the cruise line.

 

You may have issues with Viking shoreside, but once aboard the ships, the officers & crew ensure everything is done to ensure you are satisfied.

 

Hopefully others can confirm, especially from shorter cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

 

Your "Guest Statement" aka booking confirmation specifies all Shipboard Credits that are provided by Viking, so that is the definitive document, or contract. Additional credits from other sources are not included in the Viking contract. Our TA credits were included on our TA contract, but did not show with Viking until we boarded.

 

Viking have no control over when the TA actually sends the funds to the cruise line.

 

You may have issues with Viking shoreside, but once aboard the ships, the officers & crew ensure everything is done to ensure you are satisfied.

 

Hopefully others can confirm, especially from shorter cruises.

 

The issue isn't where "Shipboard Credits" are to be found or how they got there. The issue, for me, is what "Shipboard Credits" are and what they can be used for. Maybe I'm missing something but I am unable to find where the term is defined, explained, etc. Asking a Viking rep is the same as talking to your foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, duquephart said:

 

The issue isn't where "Shipboard Credits" are to be found or how they got there. The issue, for me, is what "Shipboard Credits" are and what they can be used for. Maybe I'm missing something but I am unable to find where the term is defined, explained, etc. Asking a Viking rep is the same as talking to your foot.

 

I researched it extensively before our cruise since we had serious SBC $$$ ($8.75K), but found nothing in writing how it was handled. However, reading reports from these Boards, from many former & future pax, who I learned to trust, I gained a level of comfort that everything would be handled on board.

 

I printed a paper copy of the contract and took it with us, but it wasn't required, as the ship's crew really do make it right. They explained the process, I outlined in previous posts. Although we were aboard for 4 months and got to know the crew well, we asked these questions on the first few days, when we were just any new pax.

 

Another option is sending an email to the great people at Tellus, who are way better than the regular operators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea to see in writing exactly what amount and type of credit is on your account.  Also, recheck once you embark.  On a Viking river our travel agent told is that we had $600 obc.  Once onboard, Viking claimed we had only $100.   Showed them the cruise invoice.  They still insisted it was $100.   Sent email to my agent who found the error and sent us a check for the other $500.  Viking does not fix these kind of errors onboard.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...