Viking Ancient Adriatic Treasures

Arizona340

Just booked this trip for June 2021, Venice to Instanbul.  Booked a DV4 to be near another couple that will be on their first Viking cruise. Has anyone been on this cruise and how was it?  Looking forward to another Viking cruise.  

20 minutes ago, Arizona340 said:

Just booked this trip for June 2021, Venice to Instanbul.  Booked a DV4 to be near another couple that will be on their first Viking cruise. Has anyone been on this cruise and how was it?  Looking forward to another Viking cruise.  

The first sailing of this itinerary is scheduled for April 2021. The itinerary for the first half of your cruise (Venice - Athens) is similar to the much loved 'Empires of the Med' cruise. We did Empires of the Med last year in June and it was excellent. Great weather, interesting ports, fabulous on-board experience.

Unfortunately we haven't been to the ports in the second half of the itinerary - but they do also look very interesting.

As I understand Viking is returning to Istanbul after several years away (similar to many cruise lines, who have been concerned about public disorder and other threats) so you may not pick up many 'Viking' specific tips here - although the CC Ports of Call section may be helpful in your planning.

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/ports/

Best wishes for your cruise.

LM

Following up on what Little Monty said, Viking had just one season in Istanbul before pulling the plug in early 2016. I believe that she was due to return to the area in the 2020 season, which will now be the 2021 season --and can't remember if there were any sailings in the area in 2019.

I would normally suggest going back to the oldest of threads in this forum (Viking Oceans) and the Viking Star roll calls to see what you might find, but 5 years makes for some mighty stale information. Too much has changed in the intervening 5 years to make any information that you might find helpful or even correct.

I agree with LM, that there might be information in the Ports of Call section of these boards, but with the same caveat -- old information is unreliable, don't go back more than a year or two.

Finally, the way Viking plans things, itineraries with different names may stop in the same ports. So, go back to the website and check out which of the itineraries are going to your ports of call. While you may limit your posts to just your roll call, at least "follow" all of the other roll calls that go to the ports you are planning on visiting; you never know where helpful bits of information are lurking. 

If on the threads you follow, you set the notification to one e-mail daily, you will get an e-mail that shows you everything that has been posted that day in the threads you are following; you don't even have to log into CC to find out what is new.

To follow a thread, click on the follow button at the top pf the thread: image.png.55b5b3775b09c7e152404f36dd32510e.png.  A preference box will pop up so that you set your preference for that thread and then hit follow.

• Like 1

We are taking this same itinerary in late April early May 2021.  We wanted to visit Turkey, but hate the thought of a bus tour, packing and moving every day or two.  We then looked into a cruise and found this one.  We didn't like having to wait until 2021, but with Covid, we are fortunate that we couldn't take it until 2021.

A girlfriend and I just booked Ancient Adriatic Treasures for October 3-17 thinking the weather might not be so hot. Our husbands can no longer do the long flights and we wanted to try as many ports as possible while we still can. We booked a DV5 but it is in the very back of the ship but was all that was available. I have been offered better cabins on other lines if they become available and I wonder if Viking will do the same. It is a long time away and surely there will be some cancellations before the cruise.

1 hour ago, RockyMountainMoma said:

A girlfriend and I just booked Ancient Adriatic Treasures for October 3-17 thinking the weather might not be so hot. Our husbands can no longer do the long flights and we wanted to try as many ports as possible while we still can. We booked a DV5 but it is in the very back of the ship but was all that was available. I have been offered better cabins on other lines if they become available and I wonder if Viking will do the same. It is a long time away and surely there will be some cancellations before the cruise.

We were in a DV5 near the back of the ship on  Med. cruise in Dec. 2018 and found it very comfortable.  It was very quiet and had very little motion.

1 hour ago, RockyMountainMoma said:

Honestly, DV5 is not a bad place to be. It is not as if you were on one of the megaships and have to walk forever to the nearest elevator/stairwell.

My wife and I did the eastern Med + Greek islands with Celebrity in 2014, I believe. This was the last cruise of the season for Celebrity in that area.  Everything in the island tourist shops was on sale. "Make an offer" prices.

The weather can be unpredictable late in October.  Usually cool and wonderful. "Medicanes" might happen every year or two, with gale like winds and rough seas.