Odyssey Inaugural - What Ship(s) Will They Substitute?

55 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I bet a D drink that will not happen.

Holding onto Odyssey bookings may be an important step in avoiding bankruptcy.  

If they cancel those Odyssey bookings, thousands will ask for refunds.  

If they sub in another ship with only an FCC option they hold onto all that money.  Guests will mass revolt and begrudgingly take the FCC to another ship but Royal still has the money.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

One ships' bookings are very unlikely to make a diff in any bankruptcy chances.

If I was on an early Odyssey sailing, I'd be more worried about capacity controls (and potentially being bumped), rather than COVID issues, ship construction delays, mask wearing, switched to another ship or a host of other potential issues.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If I was on an early Odyssey sailing, I'd be more worried about capacity controls (and potentially being bumped), rather than COVID issues, ship construction delays, mask wearing, switched to another ship or a host of other potential issues.

Correct there will be no ships sailing full that soon in November, not a great chance anyway that any ships will be sailing that soon as it , full or empty for that matter.

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

If they cancel those Odyssey bookings, thousands will ask for refunds.  

If they sub in another ship with only an FCC option they hold onto all that money.  Guests will mass revolt and begrudgingly take the FCC to another ship but Royal still has the money.  

Unless Odyssey is different than the rest of the fleet the majority of reservations now are non refundable deposits. Yes there will be refunds but not a majority. 

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Correct there will be no ships sailing full that soon in November, not a great chance anyway that any ships will be sailing that soon as it , full or empty for that matter.

The capacity control issue may not be so acute with other ships based on my assumption that the first few sailings have sold well for RCI on Odyssey compared to other ships for that time of the year.

• Like 1

Meyer Werft is currently planing a longer shut down of the yard in summer in addition to the current short time work. As this is not required due to Corona anymore it is obvious that Royal does not want the ship asap. I trust she will not come in winter for a Caribbean season.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Unless Odyssey is different than the rest of the fleet the majority of reservations now are non refundable deposits. Yes there will be refunds but not a majority. 

If they outright cancel a cruise a refund has up until now been an option regardless of the deposit type.  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

If they outright cancel a cruise a refund has up until now been an option regardless of the deposit type.  

You made the point of trying to compare this sailing to What they did on the Allure.  Receiving a refund on Allure wasn’t an option.

Good thing everything has changed with Allure and we can get away from all this unnecessary speculation. 

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

By itself one ship's bookings won't avoid the inevitable bankruptcy.  Combined with Allure in Galveston several months of bookings on two ships starts to appear on a list somewhere of things they can control to keep several million in the bank.   

Make no mistake, sooner or later they will leverage bankruptcy to negotiate with creditors.  

Bankruptcy isn't the end of the world.  It shouldn't impact many cruisers.  It will have ripple effects for the company and investors but most cruisers won't feel it..

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Good thing everything has changed with Allure and we can get away from all this unnecessary speculation. 

I've seen rumors but nothing confirmed about Allure.  

None the less, Royal has shown their hand.  I do believe they will try something similar with Odyssey and I expect it will go over just as well as Allure has.

Just now, twangster said:

I've seen rumors but nothing confirmed about Allure.  

None the less, Royal has shown their hand.  I do believe they will try something similar with Odyssey and I expect it will go over just as well as Allure has.

Internet wiz posted her actual experience in having her reservation moved. 

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You sound like someone else who was rooting for the BK.

Rooting for it?  No.  But I did dump my stock.  

Lots of big companies use bankruptcy.  Most of our airlines have done it, Hertz just did it.  CV-19 is going to fill the courts with loads of BK activity.  There is no shame in it, it's a tool in the CFO's toolbox.  

• Like 1