Wall Street: CDC to blame for cruises not resuming sooner

Oxo

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

RCI had about $2B+ in cash last month with the latest round of debt offerings and are going through about $250M/month in fleet upkeep - payments on the short term debt start in Dec.

That money will have to support them even after sailing resumes.  A soft open using fewer ships and reduced passenger loads will likely keep cash flow negative for a while.  Plus they won't be receiving any cash from passengers booking with fcc's.  Bet Fain wishes he had done stock offering along with that last round of bonds.  Price then was in low $70's.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Yet this thread remains about the CDC.

In 2018 54.5% of all cruise ship passengers came from the Americas.  Without U.S. passengers and the CDC's blessing for them to cruise there is no cruise industry as we have known it.  If the CDC takes too long to allow U.S. guests to board ships the effect will be profound.   

Looking beyond the Americas for a moment, name one other equivalent health organization to the CDC that can single handedly all but wipe out the cruise industry.    

What you’ve forgotten is 99% of people who staff the ship come from 100 other countries from around the world.  I honestly don’t think too many would want to sign up a 9 month contract & hope the virus doesn’t surface on their ship.

Also, CC is biased in my opinion, at least half the people on here have a vested interest in cruise lines, work for them or are in the industry, & those people most likely represent less than 0.1% of the cruising market.  Hence, why they’d die to go cruising tomorrow.  It makes no sense to me.  

I’m sure that most of the families of the 123,000 Americans that have died from the virus to date, would’ve wanted to spend the last few days with their loved ones, not looking on from behind a window.  16,000 Americans are currently in a critical condition & most of them without their loved ones by their side.  This virus is novel & deadly!

The approach taken by the CDC is the only sensible way to go.  As for cruising........ it ain’t going to happen any time soon unless the silver bullet arrives.  However, the cruise lines still need die hard cruisers money from final payments at 90 days to finance their refunds.  Simply, if the cruise lines were serious about their customers they would make the final payment due 7 days before cruising.  Free loans from die hard cruisers will keep them afloat for another 6 months at best before Chapter 11.

Honestly, who really wants to be a guinea pig on the first dozen or so cruises?  Anxiety plus, don’t forget to pack the Xanax.

Who wants to wear a mask on a cruise? Die hard cruisers.

Who wants to social distance on a cruise? Die hard cruisers.

To me a cruise is a holiday either relaxing & or full of site seeing, & most of all enjoying peoples company & having a good time & participating in activities.  I can’t see that happening on a cruise ship for a long time.

• Like 3

The CDC may be getting all of the blame.  However, name one other major cruise country that is allowing large ocean going ships to cruise out of their ports.  Canada - No, Australia - No, Japan - No, U.K. - No, EU - no, Argentina - No, Peru - No.  If anyone was allowing it you would probably see someone trying to sail, but nope the cruise ports are closed.

There is a reason no large ocean going ships are cruising anywhere.  That is because all of the places they might cruise have basically done the same thing as the CDC.  In most cases the restrictions are even tighter than those put in place by the CDC.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, npcl said:

Peru - No.

Very few would consider Peru being a major cruise country and even fewer would consider going there given they are #7 in the world (and climbing) in the COVID tally race.

Biker, who likes geography.

10 hours ago, RKHOOKER said:

What you’ve forgotten is 99% of people who staff the ship come from 100 other countries from around the world.  I honestly don’t think too many would want to sign up a 9 month contract & hope the virus doesn’t surface on their ship.

Also, CC is biased in my opinion, at least half the people on here have a vested interest in cruise lines, work for them or are in the industry, & those people most likely represent less than 0.1% of the cruising market.  Hence, why they’d die to go cruising tomorrow.  It makes no sense to me.  

I’m sure that most of the families of the 123,000 Americans that have died from the virus to date, would’ve wanted to spend the last few days with their loved ones, not looking on from behind a window.  16,000 Americans are currently in a critical condition & most of them without their loved ones by their side.  This virus is novel & deadly!

The approach taken by the CDC is the only sensible way to go.  As for cruising........ it ain’t going to happen any time soon unless the silver bullet arrives.  However, the cruise lines still need die hard cruisers money from final payments at 90 days to finance their refunds.  Simply, if the cruise lines were serious about their customers they would make the final payment due 7 days before cruising.  Free loans from die hard cruisers will keep them afloat for another 6 months at best before Chapter 11.

Honestly, who really wants to be a guinea pig on the first dozen or so cruises?  Anxiety plus, don’t forget to pack the Xanax.

Who wants to wear a mask on a cruise? Die hard cruisers.

Who wants to social distance on a cruise? Die hard cruisers.

To me a cruise is a holiday either relaxing & or full of site seeing, & most of all enjoying peoples company & having a good time & participating in activities.  I can’t see that happening on a cruise ship for a long time.

This could not be further from the truth.  Based on your post count it appears that you may be new to CC, but most cruise lines are criticized on a regular basis on CC.  I doubt that people connected with the cruise industry would complain as much about the cruise lines as the people on CC.