Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We’re getting off the NCL cruise on the 11th to spend the night in Venice. We will have the 11th and part of the 12th in Venice and then take the train to Rome.

According to the NCL website your cruise disembarks on the 12th.  You might want to double check that.

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What type of room did you book?  I see they have balcony rooms. What do they overlook?  They also have Parione and Junior suites.

We booked a Family Suite Town House.  I have no idea what their balconies overlook, but we're happy to just go up to the rooftop bar to enjoy the view.

By the way, I believe you can book Hotel Smeraldo now for next July on their website.  You'll get the best pricing there also.

5 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

According to the NCL website your cruise disembarks on the 12th.  You might want to double check that.

it does, but we have a full day in port there on the 11th. We plan on disembarking then instead.   

We booked a Family Suite Town House.  I have no idea what their balconies overlook, but we're happy to just go up to the rooftop bar to enjoy the view.

That will be nice!!  Will you be traveling with your family?

By the way, I believe you can book Hotel Smeraldo now for next July on their website.  You'll get the best pricing there also.

You’re correct. We booked a junior suite with terrace. 

51 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

it does, but we have a full day in port there on the 11th. We plan on disembarking then instead.   

Excellent idea...much more convenient for you also.

49 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That will be nice!!  Will you be traveling with your family?

Just the two of us.  Selection was a bit limited when we booked.  The extra space will be welcome, especially after the tiny room we had last fall at Albergo del Senato.

10 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Excellent idea...much more convenient for you also.

Just the two of us.  Selection was a bit limited when we booked.  The extra space will be welcome, especially after the tiny room we had last fall at Albergo del Senato.

Yes, we agree!  I can't take credit for the idea though, someone on here suggested it.  I'm just waiting to hear from our PCC to make sure we can do so.  

I'm sure you will love all that space!  What room did you have at Albergo that was so tiny?

32 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What room did you have at Albergo that was so tiny?

It was the one pictured below.  I should mention that @mahdnc was in a room a few doors down and was perfectly happy with the size.

There is a discussion of room sizes beginning with post 700 if you're interested.

image.thumb.jpeg.6b90c919574198b921a02f0e3141c55d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2023 at 2:13 PM, marazul said:

We stayed in 605 last year and it was small, but certainly not cramped.  It does seem to be the same size as 603, so I don't get the difference in size.  The view was wonderful.  The rooftop terrace was even better. This was the view from there last June 2.

AJFCJaXao-VJo_S5VFOEqJPvkMiYFgGOWrbQBoejcOjCE9KpZ5R16rl1MEC0zej1dNAA6Uakr73zbWvctU86hmZlURIy5oWYrC4EvMb8ZpVEPithyfm_efYDqgzMIQRsPvskJOx5tWYE3wKQZM0xN0h6rMMvgmyWcTSe9ew4aSLsjBvg-B2CK6GQCC_ZIupLChEmX4IQggwIscwh9pXb8J1DrTDOo3PdnQS0MEjo8uG9NUyjcX1zsdOJ0fQZWBviadoORaO9eKieY0xE9Tk657i3ry-6Req1DTiiWc77kaKKRsVnICSIDQNq36KB015BBM9k79oxpmpwWEz68d_LyilSOj-PiR2pFel4Mmf0NMgK_Ep-dP5tGUy3Gwxb6KJ_0CCSqmlr1YBuyI5sFQwp9a--tyQGGudqA3G5x7z6Wm-qxEygIblkjADJ17HpkF5B4IBalkNpVFjufjmtXv2pbG49uSvdUaVFM23vuySFFaaAI7Z0WQo9ez7TUpoXIF_KXqeE3fY5dsSEWFTX5Y4xvz5-s0PiYjQ1Fd7xUQlwC2tvRVaXpSQJfe8pu66o-tQRwB7UUssxPG-XNDzzFYG6X-QUqweREOl6cKQ9OqltIwLtweYIrb-gVSA7Y7Hc4rDazu2nfbL-Gnujn4WdkmNtPrWyXNnzWfwzAhj_wHdcfwGV4y5SIK6xONaQ02NHFu_zGuAgXCURtsQx3Fr2LCJzYSPbp7gqyzW_EPY_R_sJbdtntF_KUNO7XIxpAwzx1efkb_RdyV8yefmXuAc9dHB3zYMzu1ODjnPVa5IPEAxxAwkmMS9YxXznIIDe5Yc1C4pE-xutpCb5tU_XS8ghVBPw6IRqtIm4XocBSfm_uy-bIqTDvlT3XUucRBHVv9FVL5u3wMkdmPrNr7CZkczX7EnK5u1bPuAEYlbzbSIF3Srvahjet3MmyEOAFKKbakvD0nXUTJCf=w1217-h913-s-no?authuser=0

I can’t see the picture. 

17 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

It was the one pictured below.  I should mention that @mahdnc was in a room a few doors down and was perfectly happy with the size.

There is a discussion of room sizes beginning with post 700 if you're interested.

image.thumb.jpeg.6b90c919574198b921a02f0e3141c55d.jpeg

Thanks!  I do recall seeing that now that you mention it. 

On 6/5/2023 at 9:52 AM, mahdnc said:

Thank you for the details.  Yes, of course with nothing to compare it to, my wife and I could not experience the discontent that you felt with the same room.  For your first stay, It looks like you were quite lucky to get the only other balcony room with a Pantheon view that was not on that floor (Room 204, which is the first photo in your post). 

The last two photos in your post were exactly like the room that we had--which by the way is actually located on the 6th floor.  Now that I understand from you the size variation with the Superior Doubles, I think the only way to guarantee that you will get a large room with a Pantheon view is to book one of the view suites (e.g. the Penthouse Suites also on the 6th floor, Senior Suite on the 4th floor).  Of course that is even more money.   

Still, I wouldn't hesitate to book the Superior Double again there although if we were to ever return my wife and I might be tempted to try a different location only for the sake of variety.

image.thumb.png.8cf615e558a677929ee46de4db852e75.png

image.thumb.png.d6163a2cb183b2861794216d94b0a019.png

IMG_3052.jpeg

Room 605 (Superior Double with small balcony)

I don't even see superior double with small balcony as an option.  Was balcony listed in the description when you booked the room?

On 6/5/2023 at 6:51 AM, -Lew- said:

I can understand you being satisfied with your room since it was you first and only stay at the hotel and you had no prior experience in a much nicer room for the same cost.  As I mentioned, this was our third stay...the first was in the one balcony room facing the Pantheon.  Below is a photo of the room interior found on Tripadvisor.

image.png.271e3d4adfd1f56c4a1c200a6aeb5ae5.png

For our second stay our room was comparable to the one pictured above, but without the balcony.  The two photos below show a room like ours on our most recent stay...same cost as the one pictured above, but hardly the same value.

I want this room!!

35 minutes ago, marazul said:

Don't know what the problem is.  It shows up on all my devices.

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem seeing them.

I even tried on my computer and can't see them.

23 minutes ago, marazul said:

Another view ftom the rooftop.

20220601_205146.jpg

I can see the two you just posted.  Do you have a picture of the interior of your room?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I don't even see superior double with small balcony as an option.  Was balcony listed in the description when you booked the room?

I want this room!!

I even tried on my computer and can't see them.

I can see the two you just posted.  Do you have a picture of the interior of your room?

When you book a superior double, you cannot make any other specifications. In other words there's no way to book a balcony. There are four of them.

Here was our room (603)

IMG_3065.thumb.jpeg.041ccda8a34bedfa1fac76fc0a21f9dc.jpeg

IMG_3052.thumb.jpeg.ff6db349b963ad0b2743498a85f88ed3.jpeg

IMG_3044.thumb.jpeg.985ca59637b6026fbaba6c9dea5c1451.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3

Do you have a picture of the interior of your room?

I couldn't find one. Here are a couple of pictures of the balcony rail. As you can see, it is on the same floor as Lew's. Actually, it was 605, two windows to the right of his. The size was fine. It was small by US standards, but not cramped.

It looked like the one mahdnc just posted.

20220603_143526.jpg

20220603_213103.jpg

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

Here are the four superior doubles with a balcony:

IMG_3028.thumb.jpeg.fbc606002c7b720f60bd4f32d449afad.jpeg

That's useful. Judging by the design of the balconies, the one that Lew liked was the one on the lower floor with the stone balcony.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, marazul said:

That's useful. Judging by the design of the balconies, the one that Lew liked was the one on the lower floor with the stone balcony.

That is the best of the bunch in terms of bigger balcony and perhaps bigger room. I like the high vantage point of our balcony

Edited by mahdnc

A superior double without a balcony is just fine as far as I'm concerned. The windows of a balcony-less superior double open. And I would book the hotel even if I couldn't get a superior single because of its superior location and superior service. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mahdnc said:

When you book a superior double, you cannot make any other specifications. In other words there's no way to book a balcony. There are four of them.

Here was our room (603)

IMG_3065.thumb.jpeg.041ccda8a34bedfa1fac76fc0a21f9dc.jpeg

IMG_3052.thumb.jpeg.ff6db349b963ad0b2743498a85f88ed3.jpeg

IMG_3044.thumb.jpeg.985ca59637b6026fbaba6c9dea5c1451.jpeg

We are waiting reservations to open up in June of 2024, will attempt to book for 4 nights 

Edited by Ditch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ditch said:

We are waiting reservations to open up in June of 2024, will attempt to book for 4 nights 

Correction, we stayed in 605.  If you can get the superior double, I think it is worth the price.  To me, getting assigned one at check-in with a balcony was a bonus, but apparently that meant you were likely to get a much smaller room.  @-Lew- very much disliked this smaller room and preferred being assigned one without a balcony in order to get a a larger room (link)--so that tells you something.  The superior doubles without a balcony have a window that opens.  If you look at Tripadvisor (link), you will see a lot of positive reviews about the view rooms with windows.  However, I also mentioned that I would be fine with a room without a view--if that is all I could get--because it is awesome to step out of the hotel and be a step away from the Pantheon.  To be able to do this in the mid to late evening after the crowds leave was awesome.

image.thumb.jpeg.391c5547ecbe688fabf2fcab691ed29e.jpeg

Pantheon view from Room 605 (Albergo del Senato), Oct 17 2022, 10:05 am

image.thumb.jpeg.a03cb1131231702c44b0c5ceb96a33f6.jpeg

View of balcony for Room 603 (furthest way) and 604 (center).

image.thumb.jpeg.164564f2c6b74d8e66132efc818bb916.jpeg

Oct 19, 2022 at 12:10am.  Albergo del Senato is partly visible all the way to the left in the photo.

image.png.e2227db386e27b67ec0ff32459ee0c96.png

Edited by mahdnc

On 6/28/2023 at 12:28 PM, -Lew- said:

If it were me, I'd head back to Rome.  There's so much more to do...even for just a day...in Rome.

Check back on this thread for highly recommended hotels.  We book in an area roughly bordered by the Pantheon and Piazza Navona for proximity to interesting sites and great restaurants.

Lew, can you recommend a couple of restaurants n the Pantheon area.  Tried for Armando's but couldn't get a reservation.  Thanks for any help, first time in Rome.

7 hours ago, Sugarlandsooner said:

Lew, can you recommend a couple of restaurants n the Pantheon area.  Tried for Armando's but couldn't get a reservation.  Thanks for any help, first time in Rome.

Are you aware bookings at Armando al Pantheon open at midnight Rome time (and go quickly) on the same day of the month you want to book in the previous month?  To state it more clearly, bookings for August 8 will open at midnight tonight Rome time.

As for restaurants we enjoy...

Virginiae, Via di Parione, 41 / IMHO just as good as Armando al Pantheon / Book up to 90 days in advance on their website or on The Fork

Osteria Da Francesco, Piazza del Fico, 29 / Full service, but we go for pizza / Book up to 90 days in advance on their website or on The Fork

Rimessa Roscioli, Via del Conservatorio 58 / We're doing the Wine & Food Tasting Dinner for the first time...looks interesting / Reserve on their website

Ristorante Maccheroni, Piazza delle Coppelle, 44 / Always an excellent meal / You need to call or email for a booking

I suggest you check the Italy: all things food and wine-related thread just below this one...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Are you aware bookings at Armando al Pantheon open at midnight Rome time (and go quickly) on the same day of the month you want to book in the previous month?  To state it more clearly, bookings for August 8 will open at midnight tonight Rome time.

As for restaurants we enjoy...

Virginiae, Via di Parione, 41 / IMHO just as good as Armando al Pantheon / Book up to 90 days in advance on their website or on The Fork

Osteria Da Francesco, Piazza del Fico, 29 / Full service, but we go for pizza / Book up to 90 days in advance on their website or on The Fork

Rimessa Roscioli, Via del Conservatorio 58 / We're doing the Wine & Food Tasting Dinner for the first time...looks interesting / Reserve on their website

Ristorante Maccheroni, Piazza delle Coppelle, 44 / Always an excellent meal / You need to call or email for a booking

I suggest you check the Italy: all things food and wine-related thread just below this one...

I need to keep this info!  Do all the good restaurants require reservations?  I keep seeing Osteria da Francesco recommended on TicTok.  There’s another they highly recommend there is in Trastevere, Tonnarello. Have you been there?  I was planning on trying it. 

I need to keep this info!  Do all the good restaurants require reservations?  I keep seeing Osteria da Francesco recommended on TicTok.  There’s another they highly recommend there is in Trastevere, Tonnarello. Have you been there?  I was planning on trying it. 

Although it's best to have a reservation for a restaurant you really want to visit, we've been to many without one.  Armando al Pantheon was accepting some without a reservation at opening last time we dined there.  Personally I wouldn't want to chance it, but it's worth a try if you were not able to get a reservation.  If you don't get in, there are plenty of other options. 

We've walked up to many without a recommendation and I can't say we've ever been disappointed.  There are so many on side streets in the area of the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.

I've heard of Tonnarello, but have never been there.

• Thanks 1