Dinner with Captain

We have been on a number of cruises and we are sailing in 2 weeks on Voyager. We would love to have dinner one evening with the captain. Most of the RC captain's are Norwegian and I used to work for a major Norwegian company and would love to chat with them about 'home'.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do this? I have heard sending a note to the captain, speaking to the matre d in your dining room etc. Also, does the captain usually have early or late seating? Appreciate any help anyone can provide!

Well here's my story.....A few weeks before our cruise in September as a surprise for my husband I sent a letter to the Dining Coordinator of the Voyager . She actually called me and said that my letter would be passed onto the captain and we would get a note to our cabin if we were choosen. Well upon arrival no note so I went to guest relations to ask. They looked at me like I had 3 heads. So I told my story to the concierge (josephine- we were in a grand suite) within 5 minutes she had me on the phone with the Matre'd of the dining room and he assured me that we would be getting a invitation on the day before the 2nd captains night (2nd formal). And we did. It was the most amazing experience. just walking in and everyone staring at you. And you don't sit with you spouse the captain placed us boy / girl not necessarily sitting with your spouse. I just happened to be sitting right next to Captain Tangleson. Plus you also get a tour of the bridge on the next sea day. My husband was in heaven. Enjoyed every bit of it. So my suggestion is as soon as you board the ship go to the concierge (if your in a suite) or find the Matre'd.

Good luck!

On my first cruise (back in 96) we got to eat at the Captain's Table the first formal night. It was our whole table (3 couples, my friend and I). We did not know each other and came from different parts of the country. They said we were chosen because we were having so much fun. There could have been more to it than that.

It was very nice since we did not have to pay for wine or drinks all night. Don't think I will get that lucky again.

That was the same night that we had to stop to pick up a raft of Cuban refugees. Nothing like coming to a complete stop in the middle of the sea.

Oh the memories.........and stories from that cruise.

I was recently reading in a Fodor's guide that your chances of getting an invite to the captains table are increaed if:

- you are a repeat cruiser on that line

- you are occupying the owner's suite

- you are a minor celebrity, sports figure, etc.

- you are single, attractive, and female

My chances of an invite are slim to none:D:D

Sometimes it is sheer luck or being in the right place at the right time.....as we were boarding Celebrity's Millennium for an 11 day cruise (2002) a young lady stopped to chat with us as the agent was checking us in. This was our 3rd cruise with Celebrity (6th cruise overall) so I just talked excitedly about being glad to be back and how much we loved cruising.....as it turned out she was the hostess of the ship.

Later that evening during dinner she came by the table to chat again - by the time we returned to our cabin later that night, there was an invitation on our bed for dinner with the Captain the first formal night. There were two other couples invited plus 2 executives with Celebrity on board along with Chef Roux and his daughter. A once in a lifetime opportunity I am sure - that was the one and only time for us.

Another great part was also being invited later that week for a tour of the bridge along with other couples who had dined with him during the cruise.

Hope it works out for you!

Linda

I was recently reading in a Fodor's guide that your chances of getting an invite to the captains table are increaed if:

I'm a repeat cruiser and I'm female (and, in my opinion, somewhat attractive). Think I have a hope?? ;)

Not sure about the last one. I thought that they normally picked couples

The best way is to write the Captain, requesting an invitation, and the reason why. As brand loyalty is becoming an issue, the more that you have traveled with a line, the better your chance of being invited. I belive that on RCCL, after 24 cruise points, if the length of cruise is long enough, you will be invited to a senior officers table.

Rick

I had the Royal Suite on the Mariner (Sept 05) and we were told before booking that it was an automatic invite to dine with the captain - not so.

I even told the Conceirge, maitre de and guest relations that we would like to dine at his table.

Not sure what the deal is on getting an invite, but if the Royal Suite is not invited ...... something wrong IMHO.

We were on our very first cruise and when we went up to the desk to find out what table we were at they said we're at the Captain's table. I have no idea why we were picked. All of our tablemates were planning on what we would discuss with the captain over dinner. Anyway, the Captain never showed up at our table to have dinner with us the whole cruise?!

Have dined with the Captain on 2 different cruises. One was Crystal and they had only been on one other Crystal Cruise, so weren't sure how they were picked...but funny thing is, this Captain was ordering shots for the table during the dinner. Funny to think of my 65 yr.old parents doing shots. But, I will say they are fun 65 year olds.

And another time they were on Seabourne and that was thier first cruise with them and were invited. But, my parents cruise about 2 times a year anywhere (maybe 25 cruises total so far). So I wonder if even not a "loyal" cruiser to that line if they see you've cruised a lot if maybe they invite you so maybe once you had that experience you might cruise more often with them...I dunno.

And someone mentioned a Hostess walking around on Celebrity chatting...yep that's exactly what she does to find tablemates. We were at a table with a couple and the guy had played guitar for Barry Mannilow for many years, so she was talking to him chatting it up about that, and bamm the next day they had the invite for the table.

So I guess there are many different ways people "make it" to "the table".

On our Splendour cruise this last December we were at the bazaar in the Centrum the first day and mentioned to the Loyalty Ambassador that we would be seeing her later to book another cruise and that we were Diamond. She asked our names and that night after dinner there was an invite for the next night for the Captain's table in the room. I later asked her about the invite and she said she did put us in.:)

we were on the radiance 2 years ago and were asked to join the captain for dinner on the 2nd formal night. it was me and my husband, my mother in law and sister in law. we had gotten to chat with the maitre d'hotel every evening; introduced ourselves the first evening, then he came to our table every evening to chat...i think he asked us because he saw we liked to have fun, were well dressed and liked to socialize. it was exciting the way they made us walk down the grand staircase in a certain order...noone got to sit next to their spouses...it was boy/girl/boy/girl but with other people next to you to promote conversation. boy was i surprised when i saw that i was seated next to the captain. he was wonderful. he got up at the end of dinner and sang happy birthday to my mother in law in a loud booming voice. the entire dining room applauded..boy did she feel good! all in all, i was a wonderful experience!!

nancy

Rick,

How often have you been invited to dine with the Captain when you were occupying the Royal Suite?

Oppgaard,

So far, everytime. But I know many that have stayed in the RS that have not been invited. And, when you mention Royal Suite, on RCCL the Royal Suite is the top of the line. We normally have an Owners Suite. We stay, as we will be once again in a few hours, in a Royal Suite on Celebrity. The Penthouse on X is the best cabin. My DW and I have been fortunate in being able to dine with the Captain, and get to know some of them.

Rick

I would assume that families with younger kids (mine are 7 and 9) are never invited to dine with the captain...would that be a correct assumption? Has anyone ever heard or experienced that?

My brother and sister-in-law got invited while sailing with their 3 daughters (11, 9 and 7 at the time). The invite was only for the two of them, not the kids. Luckily for them other family members were on the cruise and could watch them.

My experience on the Rhapsody... I have shared dinner with the Chief Engineer twice and he even remembered us. The first time my sister and I traveling without our husbands I may add. We were seated at a small table. Being alone we asked if we could switch to a large table. They asked us if we could "dress appropriate" on formal nights. Of course we said we had long gowns. He then told us we would be at the VIP table. It was a wonderful experience. The chief took us out that evening for champagne! Our next cruise the next year we asked if we could sit with the Chief that we had dinner with him on our last cruise. They said yes.. We had another great time. He remembered us and took us out again after dinner. It was wonderful... I wish I new were to find him... we would sail on his ship again but I heard that he is not on the Rhapsody anymore. I only know his first name was Par.....and that he was 40ish and very handsome!

Archived