Any extension on FCC (fixed amount or % discount)?

Serengeti228

No. Attempted booking a fall 2021 cruise with a 25% discount we had from NCL (from an aborted sailing) that expires in February 2021. They informed us the discount expires in Feb, and we have to sail by that date to use the discount. Went back and forth with guest services... but it was a total fail in getting them to extend it. 

14 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

No. Attempted booking a fall 2021 cruise with a 25% discount we had from NCL (from an aborted sailing) that expires in February 2021. They informed us the discount expires in Feb, and we have to sail by that date to use the discount. Went back and forth with guest services... but it was a total fail in getting them to extend it. 

And what if they are not sailing by Feb 2021?

20 hours ago, electro said:

And what if they are not sailing by Feb 2021?

Exactly. Apply the 25% discount by February or loose it. They were so oddly dismissive to my request that it really seems more like a kick in the teeth compared to proactive customer service. 

9 hours ago, casofilia said:

We have had both applied to cruises in December 2022.

Can you explain how you managed this? In my emails back and forth with guest services, they were very direct in the stance of "if we did this for you, we'd have to do this for everyone who was on the aborted sailing and we can't do that because it wouldn't be fair to other guests who haven't asked for this."

It made no sense, so if they have done this for other guests, I'd appreciate details. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 12:40 AM, Serengeti228 said:

Can FCC, in both fixed amount (e.g. $500) and in discount % (e.g. 25%) formats, be applied before its expiry for sailing AFTER its expiry date?

Read the terms of your FCC.  Each is different.  Some have a set expiration date and it has to be used by that date.  Some has two different dates, a book by and a sail by date.

15 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Exactly. Apply the 25% discount by February or loose it. They were so oddly dismissive to my request that it really seems more like a kick in the teeth compared to proactive customer service. 

Can you explain how you managed this? In my emails back and forth with guest services, they were very direct in the stance of "if we did this for you, we'd have to do this for everyone who was on the aborted sailing and we can't do that because it wouldn't be fair to other guests who haven't asked for this."

It made no sense, so if they have done this for other guests, I'd appreciate details. 

I don't think it gets any looser or tighter depending on when you use it! :) :) :)   You might lose it though! HE HE HE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Read the terms of your FCC.  Each is different.  Some have a set expiration date and it has to be used by that date.  Some has two different dates, a book by and a sail by date.

I have both types of FCC. The expiry date refers to both use by and sail by.

18 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Exactly. Apply the 25% discount by February or loose it. 

In my emails back and forth with guest services, they were very direct in the stance of "if we did this for you, we'd have to do this for everyone who was on the aborted sailing and we can't do that because it wouldn't be fair to other guests who haven't asked for this."

Possible you got that FCC from the Jade Asia sailing in Feb 2020. 

Had you already booked before you asked NCL to apply the FCC discount or were you asking them without a booking on hand? 

5 hours ago, Serengeti228 said:

Possible you got that FCC from the Jade Asia sailing in Feb 2020. 

Had you already booked before you asked NCL to apply the FCC discount or were you asking them without a booking on hand? 

I covered this in another thread, but we got a 25% discount from the aborted Jade sailing in February. Originally, NCL told us the discount was valid as long as we booked by February 2021. 

When I called to make a new booking for Nov 2021, NCL said the discount was only good for sailings THROUGH the start of February 2021... not bookings made by. 

NCL guest services on the phone suggested that I make the booking, and then ask NCL (using the form on their website) to extend the discount to use on that specific booked sailing in November, which I did. 

NCL guest services then wrote back with their  "oh, that definitely isn't something we could do for you" response. 

I tried arguing that we've been given a discount that we're unable to use because of suspended sailings, and they were clear that it wouldn't be fair to everyone else on the sailing if the discount was extended, which is a logical (and customer service) argument that I still can't figure out. 

12 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I don't think it gets any looser or tighter depending on when you use it! 🙂 🙂 🙂 You might lose it though! HE HE HE

As a former college newspaper copy editor, this is a new level of public shame 🙂

12 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Your point here is well-noted. The 25% discount provided by NCL after the Jade sailing never came as a document with terms and conditions, and also doesn't show up in our accounts on the website.

When we asked, guest services just told to call them to book, because only the NCL reps on the phone could see it. This is how the whole "book by February" thing got started, as every rep I talked to said we just needed to book by February 2021... but when we went to use it, they were unable to apply to anything later in 2021 because the discount has a sail-by date of Feb 2021.

14 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

The 25% discount provided by NCL after the Jade sailing never came as a document with terms and conditions, and also doesn't show up in our accounts on the website.

When we asked, guest services just told to call them to book, because only the NCL reps on the phone could see it. This is how the whole "book by February" thing got started, as every rep I talked to said we just needed to book by February 2021... but when we went to use it, they were unable to apply to anything later in 2021 because the discount has a sail-by date of Feb 2021.

I believe we have the same type of FCC 25% discount, receiving likely from one of those aborted Jade voyages in Feb 2020. In the formal letter, it states that "this credit can be used for up to one year from today's date". I called NCL subsequently and was told that the FCC carries the same end date for booking and sailing, i.e. XX Feb 2021.

The same end date concept also applies to another FCC that I received about 3 years ago, stating "this FCC is valid for X years....". Though NCL uses different expressions, it only has one intention in mind. However, the latest FCC that I received differentiates two different dates for booking and sailing respectively.

Yesterday, I booked direct in NCL website for sailing in Nov 2021. Afterwards, I called NCL, requesting that I want to apply all the FCCs and the expiring CNDs. The NCL agent said that approving process is required. I am waiting for their reply.

On 9/3/2020 at 5:16 AM, Serengeti228 said:

Yesterday, I booked direct in NCL website for sailing in Nov 2021. Afterwards, I called NCL, requesting that I want to apply all the FCCs and the expiring CNDs. The NCL agent said that approving process is required. I am waiting for their reply.

Please keep us updated if you get the extension. If I know other passengers are able to use the discount after they've told me no, I'd love to go back to them and yell 😉

On 8/31/2020 at 12:40 PM, Serengeti228 said:

Can FCC, in both fixed amount (e.g. $500) and in discount % (e.g. 25%) formats, be applied before its expiry for sailing AFTER its expiry date?

I started this thread and have found the answer to my own question. It is a Yes!

No one knows for sure what is going to happen, but the odds are that NCL has to extend the deadlines on those FCCs. Some of them may expire before they even sail again and not honoring them and not giving a reasonable amount of time to use them after they begin sailing again is an invitation to a class action lawsuit.