Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

On 5/13/2023 at 11:53 PM, EN_L2Cruise said:

Hi All,  Big Fans of Viking Ocean and have a question for anyone who has stayed in a Nordic Jr Suite.  It looks like most of the (NS) cabins are either under the World Cafe, Mamsens or Right next to the Explorers Lounge.  Oh and also under the jogging track on deck 5   Has there been any issues with Noise coming from either above or for those next to the lounge through the wall.  I am hoping the answer is no and it is well insulated, but wanted to hear from someone who has actually stayed in the cabins.  

Thanks 

We were in room 4002 and never heard anything. The location was perfect as it was 2 doors away from the Explorers Lounge. 🥂😃

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For people on expeditions that leave from Argentina, you might be interested in a PBS program called "Great Performances". This season there is a show called NOW HEAR THIS that explores the life and  music of Argentina's greatest composer, Astor Piazzolla, and the music behind the Tango. Well worth watching and can help one appreciate Buenos Aires even more so.

This program can be streamed for those who have PBS Passport. If you don't have this marvelous app that gives you access to decades of programming, you can get a one-year subscription by donating at least $60 to your local PBS station.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/now-hear-this-piazzollas-history-with-tango-about/14573/

Edited by emileg
  • Thanks 2

Was simply lucky to stumble onto the newest itinerary for Octantis to come out....the 26 night NW passage out of Toronto in July 2025.    

Even being out just 3 days, the ship is booking up quickly.  Happy I found it when I did.  🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Was simply lucky to stumble onto the newest itinerary for Octantis to come out....the 26 night NW passage out of Toronto in July 2025.    

Even being out just 3 days, the ship is booking up quickly.  Happy I found it when I did.  🙂 

We booked that a few days after it first appeared on the VE site - 2 wks ago. I've set up a roll  call for the July 15, 2025 sailing that you might find useful including a link to the planning materials I've prepared and posted to Dropbox to share. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2940205-viking-octantis-15-july-to-10-august-2025-canada-the-northwest-passage/

Is anybody booked for Viking Polaris Expedition on the Great Lakes for June 10th, 2023. I have not hear anything about what they are doing about the fires in Canada. Toronto is supposed to have very dangerous air to breath right now.

6 hours ago, be_a_cruiser said:

Is anybody booked for Viking Polaris Expedition on the Great Lakes for June 10th, 2023. I have not hear anything about what they are doing about the fires in Canada. Toronto is supposed to have very dangerous air to breath right now.

Today (Thursday) was supposed to have been the worst day in Toronto, however, it was not as bad as anticipated due to increased cloud cover in Ontario and Quebec - which restricted the smoke dispersion.

Air quality is projected to improve markedly by the weekend (June 10th). FWIW, the air in Toronto did not look nearly as bad as what I saw on TV from NYC and other US cities. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, be_a_cruiser said:

Thanks CurlerRob. We are prating for rain to clear the fires and disipate the smoke. I hate to think about all the wildlife that is affected with this situation.

Significant rain coming Monday - although it may dampen your time in Niagara Falls 😠. The forecast below is for Toronto, but will be close for your first few days.

image.png.f3d8398605bf1dffbaa8a49d83d75055.png

If you have not experienced the Great Lakes before, you are in for a great experience! Enjoy your trip 🍺🥌.

Yes, much much better. They're very good quality and fairly compact so easy to carry or use from your balcony. We are looking into buying a pair since our trip two months ago. They are much smaller than regular size binoculars. We took our large expensive binoculars and the quality was about the same as the ones on board which cost about $450. On the Octantis they offered a workshop on using them correctly.. The binoculars on the ocean ships are terrible, more like opera classes.

I'm pretty sure these are the ones on board:  https://www.amazon.com/Meopta-Optika-8x42-Anti-Scratch-Hyrdophobic/dp/B07RY2TRSD?th=1

Edited by Insanityx4
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the TV's have AV connections available (AV or an extra HDMI)? We'd like to be able to review the pictures we take on a bigger screen and don't really want to haul our laptop along with us. I'd also be interested in other ideas for photo viewing without bringing extra equipment along.

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, disudds said:

Does anyone know if the TV's have AV connections available (AV or an extra HDMI)? We'd like to be able to review the pictures we take on a bigger screen and don't really want to haul our laptop along with us. I'd also be interested in other ideas for photo viewing without bringing extra equipment along.

Thanks!

As far as I know the AV connectors are not exposed on any Viking TVs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disudds said:

Thanks!

Not accessible, unfortunately.  Every TV that I've looked at on multiple cruise lines has been mounted such that I can't get at the ports - it's deliberate on the part of the lines as they don't want any external connections potentially accessing their networks. In addition, the remotes have always had the input select disabled, so even if you could plug in you can't get at your connection.  

We are apple users and have a SD card to lightning connector that allows us to pull the SD card from our camera and download our pics to an iPad. Not as big as a TV obviously, but better than a phone and lighter than a laptop. If you are shooting with your phone, you should be able to drop to your tablet without the connector. 🍺🥌

• Like 3

For people who have sailed on both the Expedition ships (especially for Antarctica sailings) and Ocean ships, could you comment on the food quality between the two types of ships for the same venues? 

I understand that the menus are the same on Ocean and Expedition but I wonder if the quality and the offerings (for the buffets) is the same as well.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ShopperfiendTO
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

For people who have sailed on both the Expedition ships (especially for Antarctica sailings) and Ocean ships, could you comment on the food quality between the two types of ships for the same venues? 

I understand that the menus are the same on Ocean and Expedition but I wonder if the quality and the offerings (for the buffets) is the same as well.

Thanks in advance!

After traveling with Viking 15 times, the Antartica sailing on the Octantis Dec 2022/Jan2023 was hands down the best food we've ever had on any Viking Ocean or Viking River boat. I think we ate at the World Cafe every night except for Mamsen's a few times. The choices were endless, as always. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We were just recently on the Octantis and the food was delicious. We especially liked the inside grill where steak and lobster are always available in the evening. The sushi bar is pretty much the same on both categories of ship. The choices are limited on the buffet unlike the ocean ships, but very good. We dined at Manfredi's twice and the service was very slow and the food were not as good as ocean ships, in our opinion. The Expedition ships do not have afternoon tea or a Chef's Table. We did not eat in the Restaurant since the choices were limited to three entree choices plus the three choices always available. We were happy with the food on the Octantis but prefer more choices available on the ocean ships. I doubt if we will do another expedition cruise, not because of the food but because there are so many more activities and things to do on the ocean ships. 

Edited by Insanityx4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We sailed to Antarctica on Octantis in February.  We do not normally eat dinner in the World Cafe on Viking Ocean ships but as mentioned above, the WC has been greatly expanded on the Expedition ships.  We loved the steaks and burgers at the Grill, everything was made to order and perfectly cooked.  The salads, bread and bakery items were all exceptional (best chocolate cake ever).  Nice variety of buffet items.  Many tables and lots of room to spread out.

We ate at Manfredi’s a few times and thought it was very good.  After seven cruises I figured out how to order half portions, plenty of food for me and I can try different things.  Dinners at the Restaurant and lunches at Mamsens were all very good (great pea soup).  We thought the food was excellent on Expedition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We sailed on Octantis in March to Antartica.  World Cafe was great and if you’re looking for a bit more intimacy dine further towards the stern which has bit different atmosphere. Enjoyed Sushi area as well. Entire dining experience was very good and yet different in view of being a smaller ship than the Ocean ships. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Anyone try room service or have a copy of the menu?

We had room service on our last night on Octantis.  We docked in Ushuaia and jumped off to get a few last-minute souvenirs.  Canceled our reservations at the Restaurant and ordered cheeseburgers when we returned to the ship.  Perfect!  The menu was pretty much the same as room service on Ocean.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Insanityx4 said:

We were just recently on the Octantis and the food was delicious. We especially liked the inside grill where steak and lobster are always available in the evening. The sushi bar is pretty much the same on both categories of ship. The choices are limited on the buffet unlike the ocean ships, but very good. We dined at Manfredi's twice and the service was very slow and the food were not as good as ocean ships, in our opinion. The Expedition ships do not have afternoon tea or a Chef's Table. We did not eat in the Restaurant since the choices were limited to three entree choices plus the three choices always available. We were happy with the food on the Octantis but prefer more choices available on the ocean ships. I doubt if we will do another expedition cruise, not because of the food but because there are so many more activities and things to do on the ocean ships. 

Yes! The steak and lobster every single night option was amazing!!! 🤤

• Like 1