Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

1 hour ago, cmason said:

The average age aboard the Viking is 60s-70s, with the more expensive itineraries trending higher age. I have no data of course, but I would expect health issues to be more prevalent among Viking than say Carnival on a caribbean itinerary.

You are exactly correct regarding the Viking average age, and the higher priced expedition itinerary attracted the higher end of the age range.  On our cruise, there were many passengers over the age of 70, and I am guessing a number were over 80. Of course age and fitness vary. There were plenty in their 60s and 70s that were perfectly fit for the trip.)  But, there were a number of passengers that did NOT appear to be “fit” enough for the Antarctic expedition cruise.  I witnessed one woman (about 80-ish) who tried to make the first landing (wet landing in water walking on stones, climbing cutout ice steps, walking about 200-300+ feet through snow on a path made by the expedition team.) The woman walked about 20 feet with the help of 2 people, and turned around and got back on the zodiac.  At least she realized her limitations and didn’t hurt herself trying to do something that was not safe for her.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ktwofish said:

You are exactly correct regarding the Viking average age, and the higher priced expedition itinerary attracted the higher end of the age range.  On our cruise, there were many passengers over the age of 70, and I am guessing a number were over 80. Of course age and fitness vary. There were plenty in their 60s and 70s that were perfectly fit for the trip.)  But, there were a number of passengers that did NOT appear to be “fit” enough for the Antarctic expedition cruise.  I witnessed one woman (about 80-ish) who tried to make the first landing (wet landing in water walking on stones, climbing cutout ice steps, walking about 200-300+ feet through snow on a path made by the expedition team.) The woman walked about 20 feet with the help of 2 people, and turned around and got back on the zodiac.  At least she realized her limitations and didn’t hurt herself trying to do something that was not safe for her.

For me, the medical questionnaire was a complete waste of time, and a buddy signed off on it. Though, I understand the integrity of the process such that people don't bamboozle Viking into taking them to Antarctica and then negatively affecting the rest of the passengers onboard.

You go to your average Costco on a weekend and you realize how inconsiderate people are about others around them.

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

For me, the medical questionnaire was a complete waste of time, and a buddy signed off on it. Though, I understand the integrity of the process such that people don't bamboozle Viking into taking them to Antarctica and then negatively affecting the rest of the passengers onboard.

You go to your average Costco on a weekend and you realize how inconsiderate people are about others around them.

I was concerned about the medical evaluation form, but it was no big deal once our doctors signed the form. Viking’s service approved within hours.  I think Viking just wants a doctor to sign off for liability reasons.

Interesting comments from all.   I was thinking the average may have been a bit lower, because of the location or at least only the fit would get off the ship!  Guess we need to roll the dice! 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Interesting comments from all.   I was thinking the average may have been a bit lower, because of the location or at least only the fit would get off the ship!  Guess we need to roll the dice! 

The trip is definitely a roll of the dice.  Weather and medical emergencies can affect where you go, what you can do, and how long your trip in Antarctica will last.  The positives from our Feb. 18 - Feb. 29 trip:  We had great weather.  The trip across the Drake was smooth (so they say, but the ship still rolls and you will hold onto walls and rails.) We had sunshine for 3 of 4 days in Antarctica, which means beautiful photos. The ship and crew are fabulous and so is the food.  The negatives from our trip:  We lost 3 full days in Antarctica due to the medical emergency (and the fact we had to return to Ushuaia and not King George Island where evacuation was not an option due to weather prohibiting flights in or out.)  Our 3 days was substituted with 2 sea days (getting to and from Port Stanley, Falklands) and 1 day in Port Stanley.  Port Stanley was nothing special and due to Viking’s pre-scheduling of zodiac cruises, we did not have much to see or do.  FYI…we did not get a continental landing in Antarctica (that was to happen the morning the medical emergency was announced.)  It was definitely a long journey for 4 days in Antarctica.  Despite Viking doing all they could to make our trip amazing, I’m still disappointed at missing those 3 days.  

Just know what you are getting into and what could happen.  Medical evacuations occurred 4 times this 2023-2024 season, and weather has affected other trips this year, too.  Oh well…enough of my complaining LOL

Edited by Ktwofish
  • Like 2

If there's fudging going on with the medical release, Viking needs to put in place better roadblocks to keep people who aren't fit for this kind of travel away.

Do not be selfish and put a whole ship at risk of ruining their holiday just because you want to cross something off your bucket list.

• Like 3

Napkin math

3 lost days, 300 people, $1,000 per person

$900,000 lost.

Granted, if it were us or our Loved one, we'd feel differently. But, lost time for an itinerary most would not have chosen if given the choice or compensated for it thru a lower fare. Yes, Viking, and all the ships, reserve the right to alter any itinerary, but then it becomes a matter of why not just do surprise trips?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 12:29 PM, Ktwofish said:

We are currently on the Viking Octantis.  Just as everyone was getting ready for the morning landings, the captain announced there was an emergency and the ship would be loaded back up and headed for King George Island.  About an hour later, the expedition leader announce that we could not go to King George Island due to weather conditions preventing a plane from landing there (presumably to pick up the medical emergency.)  We are now headed back to Ushuaia cutting our time in Antarctica by 3 days.  It will be a 36+ hour trip back to Ushuaia.  We are disappointed but hopefully whomever is experiencing the medical emergency will be OK.  I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had to return early to Ushuaia.

We were on the Viking Polaris at the same time...I swear that I saw you (the Octantis) crossing / coming back, not too far off our starboard side (which would also have been your starboard side), the cruise sales guy was like "no, that can't be, they're scheduled to be xxxx" (I couldn't remember where he said y'all where).

2 hours ago, BradDFWTX said:

We were on the Viking Polaris at the same time...I swear that I saw you (the Octantis) crossing / coming back, not too far off our starboard side (which would also have been your starboard side), the cruise sales guy was like "no, that can't be, they're scheduled to be xxxx" (I couldn't remember where he said y'all where).

That could have been the Octantis.  I used CruiseMapper app to see our journey and to see the other ships in our area.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 2:15 PM, Mike07 said:

Napkin math

3 lost days, 300 people, $1,000 per person

$900,000 lost.

Granted, if it were us or our Loved one, we'd feel differently. But, lost time for an itinerary most would not have chosen if given the choice or compensated for it thru a lower fare. Yes, Viking, and all the ships, reserve the right to alter any itinerary, but then it becomes a matter of why not just do surprise trips?

Viking gave everyone on our trip 25 percent of cruise fare paid as a future cruise voucher.  We must book within one year, but we can sail any time in the future.  An interesting fact…. When I received the voucher (by email) it was slightly less than the cruise fare indicated on my invoice.  I called Viking and they said they deducted $500 for the hotel night in Buenos Aires from the cruise fare on the invoice.  The rep stated the hotel night was not technically cruise fare.  I was surprised that Viking did this without any explanation.  I had to call to determine the discrepancy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kchand said:

Did anyone have trouble bringing wine bought in Buenos Aires onto the ship?

Viking has no issue with pax bringing alcohol on board from shoreside. There is no corkage and you are welcome to bring your bottle to a lounge or dinner. They are the most civilized of all the cruise lines in this regard. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 5:31 PM, kchand said:

Did anyone have trouble bringing wine bought in Buenos Aires onto the ship?

I never brought spirits into Argentina because on like five different sites, I found five different answers on total wine that could be brought in by a single person for personal consumption.

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2024 at 12:06 AM, anthonyy7 said:

'm trying to figure out if I should pay extra $$ to move up a category and be closer midship.  Cabin 3020 or 3042.  Would there be a big difference if there were rough seas between the two?

3020 is pretty far forward, so greater experience of motion during pitching. I don't consider that cabin to be midship. 3040 would be better. 3042 or 3043 better yet, but if you're really concerned about it and are sensitive to motion sickness, I'd advise deck 2 for lower center of gravity. 2036 and 2037 might likely experience the least amount of motion out of any room on the ship. Or, exact midships on deck 4 with a jr. suite would probably work well also. That's the category I'm hoping to get for a Great Lakes cruise. I assume you're doing Antarctica? With any luck you'll get the "lake" instead of the "rake".

Take along wrist ("sea") bands along with some ginger pills and you'll be fine. I'm a believer in the wrist bands and would never be without them on a ship.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, anthonyy7 said:

We don't sail until Jan 2026

Yeah we probably won't do the GL until '26 also. There is an early October date I like that is offered. 3042 looks to be a good choice. 

Edited by OnTheJourney