Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

First post so sorry if I’m not doing it correctly. I just want to give everyone a heads up if you are planning on booking an expedition cruise with @VikingCruises don’t book too early!!  Just lost $4000 pp on a cruise booked too soon. Was offered  $100 OBC as compensation. Can you say Nat Geo for my next cruise?  Poor customer retention.  This is my 6th cruise with Viking and they did the same thing on the Canada expedition cruise.  Huge price differences!  I love the Viking experience, but I’ll be looking elsewhere 

24 minutes ago, Curx94 said:

First post so sorry if I’m not doing it correctly. I just want to give everyone a heads up if you are planning on booking an expedition cruise with @VikingCruises don’t book too early!!  Just lost $4000 pp on a cruise booked too soon. Was offered  $100 OBC as compensation. Can you say Nat Geo for my next cruise?  Poor customer retention.  This is my 6th cruise with Viking and they did the same thing on the Canada expedition cruise.  Huge price differences!  I love the Viking experience, but I’ll be looking elsewhere 

I understand how you feel, but I understand that Viking is just trying to fill their ships, too.  We booked last month (about 60 days out) and got $6000 pp off on our cruise price plus free air.  We did not have any choice of cabins.  We have a “guaranteed” cabin in our category or higher.  Also, we did not have much choice of dates.  I agree with you.  If you can wait and monitor deals and can sail with little notice, you can get some great deals.  If you want to plan to go at a certain time and get a certain cabin/location, you will have to pay closer to full price.

• Thanks 1

Thank you!  There are times when I want a specific cabin and sail date and am willing to accept that I might pay more for that choice.  I was just quite surprised at the huge price differences with the expedition voyages.  If you booked a year in advance vs 2 to 2.5 months before you could save $7000 pp with the same airfare offers. I would be willing to accept whatever room on an expedition ship in that situation.  All the rooms are nice on the expedition ships. It’s just a much bigger price difference than their river and ocean cruises and I thought that the information was worth posting. 

Indeed was told by booking rep at Viking that the EX ships sell out fast.  We are currently on RCI World Cruise, having spent some time in Paradise Bay here in Antarctica.  Longingly looking at both Polaris and Octantis as we sail by them inside the bay with us.  Polaris had her Hangar door open with several rubber boats running around outside along the shoreline.  Such pretty little ships!  Really looking forward to our B2B on Octantis next year.  🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Curx94 said:

Thank you!  There are times when I want a specific cabin and sail date and am willing to accept that I might pay more for that choice.  I was just quite surprised at the huge price differences with the expedition voyages.  If you booked a year in advance vs 2 to 2.5 months before you could save $7000 pp with the same airfare offers. I would be willing to accept whatever room on an expedition ship in that situation.  All the rooms are nice on the expedition ships. It’s just a much bigger price difference than their river and ocean cruises and I thought that the information was worth posting. 

Definitely worth posting!  I had no idea Viking would drop the price so much on the expedition cruise, and fortunately we were able to take advantage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed was told by booking rep at Viking that the EX ships sell out fast.  We are currently on RCI World Cruise, having spent some time in Paradise Bay here in Antarctica.  Longingly looking at both Polaris and Octantis as we sail by them inside the bay with us.  Polaris had her Hangar door open with several rubber boats running around outside along the shoreline.  Such pretty little ships!  Really looking forward to our B2B on Octantis next year.  🥰

There is no doubt you will have a wonderful time on a Viking expedition ship. They are beautiful ships and rooms. We went on the Canada expedition and will be leaving for Antarctica in a few weeks. If you don’t need a specific room or date it can be worth waiting.  Good luck and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

9 minutes ago, Curx94 said:

There is no doubt you will have a wonderful time on a Viking expedition ship. They are beautiful ships and rooms. We went on the Canada expedition and will be leaving for Antarctica in a few weeks. If you don’t need a specific room or date it can be worth waiting.  Good luck and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Thanks!  I am booked for 2025 on Octantis...B2B starting in Milwaukee, overnight Toronto, ending in Nuuk.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ktwofish said:

Definitely worth posting!  I had no idea Viking would drop the price so much on the expedition cruise, and fortunately we were able to take advantage.

You will have an amazing time!  I am glad you got a great deal on the cruise, if not a little jealous 🤣

• Like 1

11 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed was told by booking rep at Viking that the EX ships sell out fast. 

Following you (and the others) on y'alls awesome RCI World Cruise. 🙂 I don't think the itineraries sell out nearly as fast as you think they would or implied.

I was on a Viking River Cruise and the Program Director thought my then future Antarctica cruise with Viking that I must have signed up a year plus in advance. I definitely did not. I'll be on a future Chilean Fjords expedition withe Viking Expedition and I didn't sign up years in advance either.

As with all of these cruise line itineraries... some sell out quickly.. others linger.

• Thanks 2

As we all know, Viking does things differently from other cruise lines. One thing they do that can work in our favor is post availability of various categories. This helps us watch for potential sell-outs, of either the category we want or the entire ship.

Another thing I consider courteous is changing promos on the 1st of a month and keeping them until the last day of the month. This allows a last-day booking, to hold with deposit due on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd of the month. Then check the promo/cruise fare on the 1st to see if it behooves us to put down the deposit or wait for the end of the next month.

The $25 pp deposit is quite nice as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

As we all know, Viking does things differently from other cruise lines. One thing they do that can work in our favor is post availability of various categories. This helps us watch for potential sell-outs, of either the category we want or the entire ship.

Another thing I consider courteous is changing promos on the 1st of a month and keeping them until the last day of the month. This allows a last-day booking, to hold with deposit due on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd of the month. Then check the promo/cruise fare on the 1st to see if it behooves us to put down the deposit or wait for the end of the next month.

The $25 pp deposit is quite nice as well.

Thank you. Great thought on the first of the month promotions and timing. Yes, it is nice to see cabins remaining.  It definitely helps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Following you (and the others) on y'alls awesome RCI World Cruise. 🙂 I don't think the itineraries sell out nearly as fast as you think they would or implied.

I was on a Viking River Cruise and the Program Director thought my then future Antarctica cruise with Viking that I must have signed up a year plus in advance. I definitely did not. I'll be on a future Chilean Fjords expedition withe Viking Expedition and I didn't sign up years in advance either.

As with all of these cruise line itineraries... some sell out quickly.. others linger.

The Chilean Fjords is on my list too.  I’ll probably try to book later than earlier though 🤣.  I might get burned but I am flexible enough with dates so hopefully it will work out with the next booking. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Curx94 said:

The Chilean Fjords is on my list too.  I’ll probably try to book later than earlier though 🤣.  I might get burned but I am flexible enough with dates so hopefully it will work out with the next booking. 

We recently returned from the Chilean Fjords expedition and it was one of most memorable cruises 

Here is my writeup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 5:40 AM, island lady said:

Really looking forward to our B2B on Octantis next year. 

Is this what you're referring to? Which cruises did you put together?  I don't see a separate 33-night cruise on the website.

VIKING OCTANTIS  7/16/2025   33 night Great Lakes/Northwest Passage/St. Lawrence Seaway/Greenland/Canada 07/16/2025   

Ah...I think I see it...this one? https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/cruise-destinations/great-lakes-canada/canada-and-the-northwest-passage/index.html#itineraryday/8

Edited by OnTheJourney

58 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Is this what you're referring to? Which cruises did you put together?  I don't see a separate 33-night cruise on the website.

VIKING OCTANTIS  7/16/2025   33 night Great Lakes/Northwest Passage/St. Lawrence Seaway/Greenland/Canada 07/16/2025   

Ah...I think I see it...this one? https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/cruise-destinations/great-lakes-canada/canada-and-the-northwest-passage/index.html#itineraryday/8

Yes, plus add in we are hopping on Octantis in Milwaukee before we get to Toronto, where we do the overnight.  Viking rep put both legs together as one journey.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, island lady said:

Yes, plus add in we are hopping on Octantis in Milwaukee before we get to Toronto, where we do the overnight.  Viking rep put both legs together as one journey.  

Looks like a great itinerary, though would admittedly be way too long for me. 3 weeks total is about as long as I care to be away on any trip, and doubt any will be that long anymore with DW's health issues. Quebec is a lovely stop if you've never been there before. One of our favorites on Canada / New England cruises.  So you added this one as a B2B:  https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/cruise-destinations/great-lakes-canada/niagara-and-the-great-lakes/index.html  ? 

We'll probably decide on the 15-day Great Lakes at some point. Have to use a voucher from the recent northbound Mississippi cruise.

Looks like you'll be new to sailing Viking ocean?

Edited by OnTheJourney

9 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Looks like a great itinerary, though would admittedly be way too long for me. 3 weeks total is about as long as I care to be away on any trip, and doubt any will be that long anymore with DW's health issues. Quebec is a lovely stop if you've never been there before. One of our favorites on Canada / New England cruises.  So you added this one as a B2B:  https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/cruise-destinations/great-lakes-canada/niagara-and-the-great-lakes/index.html  ? 

We'll probably decide on the 15-day Great Lakes at some point. Have to use a voucher from the recent northbound Mississippi cruise.

Looks like you'll be new to sailing Viking ocean?

Yes, that's the one.  Viking rep combined that with the Toronto to Nuuk cruise as one itinerary, one reservation.

33 nights is not long for us at all.   Currently on the first quarter of the RCI World Cruise (which is 274 total) but we are doing just the first quarter which is 63 nights.  Having left Antarctica, we are cruising the Chilean Fiords.  Then we re-board in Barcelona for the last quarter, also 63 nights.  

We are doing these longer trips... while we still can.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

We are doing these longer trips... while we still can.  

I get it, but I'd simply not be comfortable being away from home that long,  let alone having a pet in a kennel for that long either. With the property and pool, etc. just so much to take care of at my place. We've done about 3-4 weeks, but I find myself counting the days till we head for home. In general, judging from your list, you travel way more often than I'd be comfortable with, but, hey, go for it. YOLO. As I get older I'm increasingly enjoying just being at home.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Having left Antarctica,

Did you like it there? We were down there in '17 on the Celebrity Infinity. Amazing trip since we had never been to South America before. We had smooth sailing in the Drake also which made things enjoyable.

17 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I get it, but I'd simply not be comfortable being away from home that long,  let alone having a pet in a kennel for that long either. With the property and pool, etc. just so much to take care of at my place. We've done about 3-4 weeks, but I find myself counting the days till we head for home. In general, judging from your list, you travel way more often than I'd be comfortable with, but, hey, go for it. YOLO. As I get older I'm increasingly enjoying just being at home.

I find myself getting kind of bored after 3 weeks on a ship. I can't remember the last time I've wanted to stay on a cruise ship at the end of the itinerary. This would include the Viking Expedition ships. I think 10 days is about as short of a cruise I can do as I have to fly everywhere to embark.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I can't remember the last time I've wanted to stay on a cruise ship at the end of the itinerary.

LOL....not sure I can go quite that far! I've always enjoyed every day of our trips - land and cruise - but, I agree, 3 weeks is plenty long enough. Our recent Viking trips were that long and most interesting. Lots of ports we've not been to so glad we went. Agreed on doing more than 10 days if you have to fly. Car trips is still our favorite over cruising. Keeps things more interesting cause I'm 'steering the ship' lol.

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

We lost our two fur babies 5 years ago to the demon cancer.  I still grieve for them, but this is now the timing for our dreamed of world travel.  8 years ago we sold the big house on the water with pool and large yard for a smaller home in protected gated community with minimal upkeep.  

There will still be a time coming up for us to settle back in...which we figure will be at least 3 years from now, more or less.... then we will give up the long distance....longer time travel.  

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Did you like it there? We were down there in '17 on the Celebrity Infinity. Amazing trip since we had never been to South America before. We had smooth sailing in the Drake also which made things enjoyable.

Our Drake passage was ill timed as the seas were way too rough.  Had to skip the Falklands, but the cruising through the straits in Antarctica was amazing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Our Drake passage was ill timed

Yeah, it's luck of the draw. We had fantastically smooth sailing BOTH ways - which was really lucky. The day we were at Port Stanley - which was an amazingly warm day (only needed a sweatshirt) - they told us that had we been there the day before we wouldn't have been able to come in to port and likely not visit at all.

We lost our two fur babies 5 years ago to the demon cancer. 

Aww...most sorry to hear this. It's so hard to lose them.

8 years ago we sold the big house on the water with pool and large yard for a smaller home in protected gated community with minimal upkeep.  

Yes...that's the way (and time) to do the more extensive travel for sure.  We talk about downsizing, but there's so much about our place that I'd hate to lose: additions we've put on the house designed to our specifications; the pool - fully renovated several years ago and so in great shape; some really sentimental trees and shrubs that came from our parents and grandparents' properties decades ago; plus an incredible view up on top of our hill. So, yeah, I'd absolutely hate to leave but the flipside is all the work that goes with it. I've started to bring in a grounds maintenance crew to do some of it - and have to keep moving in that direction. I can PRETEND I'm 40 years old again and able to work outside 7-8 hours a day during summer, but I'm also kidding myself 😉 

The thing I've been wondering about really long travel is - how do manage Rx prescriptions? Since generally it's only possible to get a 90-day supply. Almost need someone to live in or keep regular check on things. The smaller community such as you speak of - with preferably no plants or pets (I have a HUGE plant collection - one of my biggest hobbies) - is the way for the type of travel you're doing. Close the door and go. I need someone to water plants every 7-9 days. Oh well,  moot anyway since I really have little interest in anything over 3 weeks. By then I'm admittedly a tad homesick. Plus, DW has little interest in real long flights anymore, so my dream trip of AUS / NZ will probably never happen. Plus, her health issues have crept into the picture. I'd love Viking's trip down there and then I'd add the 6-day extension into the interior. No interest in only circling around the continent.