Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

Cabin question regarding NP 4000 - 4010 range. From the deck plan and 360 tour, these cabins appear to be on the primary access path to the Explorer’s Lounge main level. 

I would value any observations from those with experience as to the noise levels from passersby, or from the doors into the lounge. Thanks in advance. 🍺🥌

13 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Cabin question regarding NP 4000 - 4010 range. From the deck plan and 360 tour, these cabins appear to be on the primary access path to the Explorer’s Lounge main level. 

I would value any observations from those with experience as to the noise levels from passersby, or from the doors into the lounge. Thanks in advance. 🍺🥌

On board presently. Just not going to be an issue. The lounge has very little participation , due from lengthy days of activities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The internet is ok but do not support Netflix, Disney plus. You can watch you tube though. I think it is almost most cruise line standard internet even with the premium plan.  Today captain announce we have to return to Ushuaia day earlier to avoid the bad weather. Now they will try to arrange extra land tour in Ushuaia. It is disappointing but necessary for safety and comfort. We do have good weather for almost 10 days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, puffy said:

The internet is ok but do not support Netflix, Disney plus. You can watch you tube though. I think it is almost most cruise line standard internet even with the premium plan.  Today captain announce we have to return to Ushuaia day earlier to avoid the bad weather. Now they will try to arrange extra land tour in Ushuaia. It is disappointing but necessary for safety and comfort. We do have good weather for almost 10 days.

The extra land tour was awesome. 6 hour bus ride (though lunch and a few stops were included) with fire roasted lamb and effectively all you can drink beer, wine, soda, and water. It was probably one of the best tours I've done on any line, and absolutely the best meal I've had on any tour. I'd go as far to say it's better than a lot of ship food. Though, the lamb did have a lot of bone on it still, so it was not pure meat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

The extra land tour was awesome. 6 hour bus ride (though lunch and a few stops were included) with fire roasted lamb and effectively all you can drink beer, wine, soda, and water. It was probably one of the best tours I've done on any line, and absolutely the best meal I've had on any tour. I'd go as far to say it's better than a lot of ship food. Though, the lamb did have a lot of bone on it still, so it was not pure meat.

When we took the Chilean Fjords expedition cruise in October, we were informed that barbecue in Patagonia means a whole animal. This was lunch for one of the excursions:IMG_4998.thumb.jpeg.807cee6c922af8f6ed8732fc62c9eac3.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

Today I can feel the ship rocking passing the drake, but it is not as bad yet. Hopefully it stays the same. I am looking forward land tour. Yesterday we only do zodiac and S.O.B tour. It is awesome to see humpback whale next to us and those excellent penguin diver. It is trip of life time. We went to Alaska and Hawaii and pay for whale watching but it has never been that up-close. They are right next to you within 15 feet. Every team member from excursion team to room steward, they are not only provide excellent service and genuinely happy to serve. It is the best cruise I have been . I book the China tour to take advantage 800 off plus on board 200 credit. 50 deposit and no payment till May. Even I cancel the cruise, I still have 150 ahead. What a deal.

• Like 3

Last night the wave starts to rolling. We went to hide and see wave pounding  the window. The whole night  we can feel the ship rock left and right . This am I go to have my coffee, due to strong wave, it knocks down plate, coffee pot and staff says it is the worst they have experience. I feel very bad for the server, they still have to clean, cook and serve. Head up to them and greatly appreciate all their hard work. The excursion on land will be sightseeing. Additional tours is expensive to start from 249. We decide to do the free tour. Overall it is wonderful tour and see so many wildlife. Especially the orcas attacked the humpback whale calf and group kill. The biologist on board say it is once in life time to observe the event even it is sad.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why Viking put us through all these steps.

- Our neighbor is using anpther expedition ship, Antarctica, two weeks after ours (Jan 2024).   The Seabourn Pursuit, same size and class of ship, has no medical or evacuation papers to sign at all.  No medical testing when you board in Ushuaia, etc.

- The Viking documents wouldn't pass a HIPPA test or probably the EU privacy either.   Doctors from medical systems in California can't just log into a random domain with .EU and enter patient information.  2nd, Our travel friends got an email back from Viking that the Viking system doesn't work with the Kaiser Permanente system - Kaiser being the largest single medical provider (HMO) in the US.  

- Spend 20 minutes searching high-end travel credit cards.  For $550 annually, we get a $300 credit on any travel related charges, entrance to many airport lounges, $25,000 trip insurance included, $25,000 evacuation insurance, foreign car rental insurance, free Doordash and Instacart, and 5% cash on all travel charges. No international charges.

- BTW - nobody is going to be able to evacuate from a ship near the Antarctica Peninsula.   Too far for helicopters, no place to land airplanes.   Be healthy before you go and trust the quality of the doctors on-board.

- By paying for the cruise with the credit card, I saved more than if I had paid cash from checking debit transaction.

Respecting this forum's rules, no names, but at least three of the five cards I investigated were this good.  

On 12/4/2023 at 6:05 AM, OnTheJourney said:

I agree with this policy. 250k should be more than enough, at least based on what I'm reading. I'd never go down there without medical evac coverage. For that matter, I never cruise without trip insurance coverage that includes it.

On 12/3/2023 at 12:01 PM, CurlerRob said:

From Viking's FAQ: In order to participate in a Viking Expeditions journey to the Arctic or Antarctica, each guest must have Medical Evacuation Insurance coverage for a minimum of $250,000. 

For a trip of this nature, I would not be ignoring a condition set by the cruise line. It might work out fine - conversely it might be embarrassing to wind up waving to the ship from the pier in Ushuaia if you were denied boarding.

I don't think "but I read it was OK on CC" would be an acceptable excuse. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

On 12/26/2023 at 7:00 PM, JayJayG said:

I'm not sure why Viking put us through all these steps.

I agree with the sentiment of the post, but it's the age and the demographics of who will be on the Viking trip.

When you're younger and in better physical shape than most of the "expedition crew", it adds more salt to the wound. I'm fortunate that one of my best friend's is a physician and laughed at Viking's documents.

Edited by Mike07

On 12/23/2023 at 3:21 PM, CurlerRob said:

We were either in 4002 or 4004 last December 2022 (I can't remember the exact room number). We never heard anything and in my opinion, it was a great location as we were right next to the Explorer's Lounge. We were able to grab a drink and take it to the room while we were getting ready. 🥂 🍻 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, wp bob said:

do we submit sizes for expedition jackets (Antarctica) ahead of time or on board? I know pants and boots are done onboard.

We received an email 60 days in advance of our trip requesting sizes for jackets and pants.  The staff was very helpful in exchanging things once on board to ensure we had the best fit.  

• Like 1

Hi everyone, we're booked on the Feb 21 Antarctica Explorer on the Polaris. 

We are late to the game and the kayaking activities are all sold out.  I understand that guests are allowed only one kayaking and one special operation boat cruise per cruise, but multiple Zodiac cruises and landings, and all subject to weather and sea conditions. 

For those who have done the Antarctica cruise on either ship, can you please shed some light on your actual experiences related to the availability of these excursions and how many of these did you end up getting.  Thank you in advance for your info.

Wallace

15 minutes ago, wpklee said:

We are late to the game and the kayaking activities are all sold out.  I understand that guests are allowed only one kayaking and one special operation boat cruise per cruise, but multiple Zodiac cruises and landings, and all subject to weather and sea conditions. 

For those who have done the Antarctica cruise on either ship, can you please shed some light on your actual experiences related to the availability of these excursions and how many of these did you end up getting.  Thank you in advance for your info.

Wallace

Hi Wallace, we did the Antarctic Explorer on Octantis in February 2023.  Prior to sailing, we were asked to indicate our interest in the various activities - kayaking, sub, zodiacs, and special ops.  We didn’t actually pre-book any specific activities. Once on board we were able to sign up for everything we wanted to do.  We did at least one activity at each landing site (some days more than one).  There were also lists where you could sign up to be called if there were cancellations.  

The expedition cruises are different than ocean cruises.  Everything is weather dependent.  The expedition ships are beautiful, mini versions of the ocean ships with the addition of all the scientific equipment and “toys”.  We had a terrific time and would do it again in a heartbeat!  

33 minutes ago, wpklee said:

Wallace

Hi, @wpklee .  We did the same as you and booked the Feb. 17th Octanis trip about 60 days out.  There is a fantastic FB group that has lots of information about the Viking Expedition Antarctica Cruises.  I’ve been lurking there for over a year, but I’ve been able to quickly get lots of information and ask a few questions.  Current cruisers are posting regularly, too.

2 hours ago, Ktwofish said:

Hi, @wpklee .  We did the same as you and booked the Feb. 17th Octanis trip about 60 days out.  There is a fantastic FB group that has lots of information about the Viking Expedition Antarctica Cruises.  I’ve been lurking there for over a year, but I’ve been able to quickly get lots of information and ask a few questions.  Current cruisers are posting regularly, too.

Thanks for the info.

I created a thread about Expedition flights from Florida.

Living in SWFL I have a few choices of Gateways.

1. What is the itinerary that Viking created for you.

2. Which Buenos Aires hotel did you stay at.

3. What time were the Return flight from Ushuaia.

4. What is the Temperature on board.

Thank You to all

51 minutes ago, kchand said:

Thanks for the info.

I created a thread about Expedition flights from Florida.

Living in SWFL I have a few choices of Gateways.

1. What is the itinerary that Viking created for you.

2. Which Buenos Aires hotel did you stay at.

3. What time were the Return flight from Ushuaia.

4. What is the Temperature on board.

Thank You to all

Hello @kchand   We live in SWFL, too, and we have decided to fly out of Miami and be assured of a nonstop flight.  We had to use Viking Air Plus guarantee this.  Right now, we are assigned to the Buenos Aires Hilton, but we were originally assigned to the Intercontinental.  We’ll wait for our final documents for the final word on our hotel.  Our flight to leave Ushuaia is at 1:00 pm, and our Buenos Aires to MIA flight is at 11:35 pm.  Can’t help with the temperature on board since we haven’t sailed yet.  We did Viking’s In Search of the Northern Lights cruise in very cold weather (larger ship than the expedition ships.) The temperature on board was always very comfortable with no extra jacket needed (unless you wanted to go outside.)

1 hour ago, Ktwofish said:

Hello @kchand   We live in SWFL, too, and we have decided to fly out of Miami and be assured of a nonstop flight.  We had to use Viking Air Plus guarantee this.  Right now, we are assigned to the Buenos Aires Hilton, but we were originally assigned to the Intercontinental.  We’ll wait for our final documents for the final word on our hotel.  Our flight to leave Ushuaia is at 1:00 pm, and our Buenos Aires to MIA flight is at 11:35 pm.  Can’t help with the temperature on board since we haven’t sailed yet.  We did Viking’s In Search of the Northern Lights cruise in very cold weather (larger ship than the expedition ships.) The temperature on board was always very comfortable with no extra jacket needed (unless you wanted to go outside.)

Thank You for the quick reply.

I was thinking the same with Miami, I don't want to fly north and west to go south.

Let me know how your trip goes.

1 hour ago, kchand said:

I was thinking the same with Miami, I don't want to fly north and west to go south.

Hi Kchand, based on my conversations with Viking Air recently for a couple of cruises, it gave me comfort that Viking Air's flight booking system would not route you with more than 1 connection from anywhere in the mainland to EZE, nor backtracking. Miami is a big hub for South America bound flights and I bet that's what Viking Air would assign. 

That said, going for the Air Plus may be an overkill, imho.  If you want to arrive in BA early for a pre-cruise, then by all mean use Air Deviation.  I don't need a pre-cruise, but flying out from Toronto in the winter is always risky and susceptible to airport closure and flight cancellation caused by snowstorm.  Air Deviation assigned us YYZ / DFW / EZE with arrival one day earlier.

It seems that Viking uses both the Hilton and Intercontinental interchangeably for Antarctica cruises.     

11 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

Hi Wallace, we did the Antarctic Explorer on Octantis in February 2023.  Prior to sailing, we were asked to indicate our interest in the various activities - kayaking, sub, zodiacs, and special ops.  We didn’t actually pre-book any specific activities. Once on board we were able to sign up for everything we wanted to do.  We did at least one activity at each landing site (some days more than one).  There were also lists where you could sign up to be called if there were cancellations.  

The expedition cruises are different than ocean cruises.  Everything is weather dependent.  The expedition ships are beautiful, mini versions of the ocean ships with the addition of all the scientific equipment and “toys”.  We had a terrific time and would do it again in a heartbeat!  

I believe when you sailed in February 2023, the submersible ride was free or included in the fare.  I can imagine the demand must have outstripped the supply of seats, with lots of disappointed guests.  Viking changed the rule in June and for our sailing, they charge $499 a ride, most likely to mitigate the issue and complaint. 

I've watched a couple of You Tube videos of the sub ride.  I'll be honest, what you can see on the Antarctica sea floor is really underwhelming to me.  Maybe my expectation is skewed by the colourful coral and fishes that you frequently see on those brilliant National Geographic TV programs.

Did you get a chance to ride the sub yourself?  Would you have done that if you had known that's what you'll get, and had to pay $1K for 2 for the "been there, done that" bragging right.  I know $1K is nothing compared to the cruise fare in the grand scheme of things.  I suppose this is all personal too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kchand said:

@kchand I have read comments on the FB group where Viking scheduled people to fly as you said—“north and west to go south.”  Several mentioned a connection in South America before arriving in Buenos Aires.  We are from your area, and we would typically fly from Tampa, but this time we opted for a 3-3.5 hour drive to Miami. It’s a late flight, so we have plenty of time to get to MIA.  (We’d love to fly out of Sarasota, but the options are better out of Tampa.)

In our opinion, it was worth the Viking Air Plus fee ($150 each) to talk to an agent about the exact flights we were getting.  In fact, we had to pay an additional $110 each to get the requested nonstop flights from Miami (called air differential.). We also paid $100 each for air deviation to fly into Buenos Aires one day early.  Also, we upgraded our free airfare to premium economy ($1499 each.)  In total, we paid an extra $360 x 2 (on top of premium economy) to get the American Airlines nonstop flights we wanted.  Still, the total airfare cost to us was $1600+ less ($800+ x 2) than what we would have paid booking directly with American Airlines.

Edited by Ktwofish

11 hours ago, wpklee said:

I believe when you sailed in February 2023, the submersible ride was free or included in the fare.  I can imagine the demand must have outstripped the supply of seats, with lots of disappointed guests.  Viking changed the rule in June and for our sailing, they charge $499 a ride, most likely to mitigate the issue and complaint. 

I've watched a couple of You Tube videos of the sub ride.  I'll be honest, what you can see on the Antarctica sea floor is really underwhelming to me.  Maybe my expectation is skewed by the colourful coral and fishes that you frequently see on those brilliant National Geographic TV programs.

Did you get a chance to ride the sub yourself?  Would you have done that if you had known that's what you'll get, and had to pay $1K for 2 for the "been there, done that" bragging right.  I know $1K is nothing compared to the cruise fare in the grand scheme of things.  I suppose this is all personal too.

You're correct. The sub excursion was included in the fare when we sailed.  We didn't do it but looking back, sort of wish we did (I'm a bit claustrophobic...).  There was a special line for the subs where they weighed each person and provided more info.  We talked to a couple who did the sub excursion and they showed us some nice photos.  I honestly didn't see any disappointed guests or problems with signing up for anything.  We were busy every day and thoroughly enjoyed this "once in a lifetime, hard to top" trip!