Hawaiian Holiday Cruise Inquiry

gkthorn

43 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

I'm "late to the party", but wanted to share my two cents worth.  Our first Hawaiian experience was a "fly to Honolulu, board a ship and visit a different island each day".  After that we spent many 2-week periods in January, flying over and spending a week each on two islands, renting an apt and car on each. Those are my best Hawaiian memories!

Glad you had a great time visiting the islands.  Most do not have the luxury of a month of island hoping.  Which islands did you visit on your extended stays?  

I agree that NCL provides a really good itinerary with overnight ports.  I just didn't care for her service or lack of cultural experiences on board and service.

BTW:  Pride of America has sat at Aloha Towers every day since the halt of cruising.  This must cost her a fortune plus some.    

On 2/16/2021 at 1:48 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Glad you had a great time visiting the islands.  Most do not have the luxury of a month of island hoping.  Which islands did you visit on your extended stays?  

. . .

It wasn't a month, but two weeks in January for some years.  We started doing these visits after my late DH retired in 2001.  So if you're not retired yet, it's something you could look forward to.  Each time we would do one week on each of two islands and thus visited four islands multiple times (never stayed on Oahu on these extended stays--we preferred the other 4 islands).

Edited by BarbinMich

10 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

It wasn't a month, but two weeks in January for some years.  We started doing these visits after my late DH retired in 2001.  So if you're not retired yet, it's something you could look forward to.  Each time we would do one week on each of two islands and thus visited four islands multiple times (never stayed on Oahu on these extended stays--we preferred the other 4 islands).

I should learn to read more carefully.  Oops....NCL once, then one week per island X2.  Takes me a while to digest.  4 outer islands (Hawaii Island, Maui, Kauai, and ?).  So glad you enjoy visiting Hawaii.  It isn't so easy to get there anymore (many restrictions).   More direct flights from Long Beach and Orange County are opening up.  Sure beats LAX.  I get back as often as I can for 5-6 weeks at a time.  

DH and I are booked for the Holiday Cruise this December.  I so miss cruising and crossing fingers this one is a go.  If it matters I had m7y vaccine.

Do you think we will be able to book private excusions on the islands.?

The Volcano National Park is our stop of xmas day, do you think it will be open?

I know airfare can be high this time of year.  Delta and American came out with their nonstops I booked for $212 pp round trip from  JFK to LAX on Delta. 

Anyone know of a decent place to room wanted to do QM for 3 nights but that is questionable now.

Pam and Steve, NYC

Edited by pamrose228
names

1 hour ago, pamrose228 said:

DH and I are booked for the Holiday Cruise this December.  I so miss cruising and crossing fingers this one is a go.  If it matters I had my vaccine.

If all goes as planned the earliest appointment we could get to receive the vaccine was March 3rd. Hopefully will get the 1st shot then.

Do you think we will be able to book private excusions on the islands.?

Unknown at this time.

The Volcano National Park is our stop of xmas day, do you think it will be open?

See this site: https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

I know airfare can be high this time of year.  Delta and American came out with their nonstops I booked for $212 pp round trip from  JFK to LAX on Delta. 

Anyone know of a decent place to room wanted to do QM for 3 nights but that is questionable now.

We stay right in San Pedro.

Crown Plaza, within walking distance to restaurants and the harbor.

Double Tree, nice hotel at the marina. Some restaurants nearby. Hotel provides shuttle to downtown.

Both of these hotels provided free shuttle to the pier.

Some people stay in Long Beach. A number of hotel chain options there right downtown.

I have toured the QM. I wouldn't stay there. Very small rooms. Ship wasn't in good condition when we toured. Your cabin on the Grand will be much nicer.

Pam and Steve, NYC

See above

Edited by skynight

Aloha, we are booked on Ruby for Christmas 2021. We have done this cruise before and loved it. Sea days are wonderful. Like others have mentioned the Aloha ambassadors make the trip so much fun with ukulele lessons, hula and talk of the islands. We leave out of SF since we are in the bay area. Last couple of times the Aloha ambassadors have been Brian and Rowena Vasquez, they really know how to share the  Aloha spirit. If you have Facebook you can watch them live at Brian and Rowena Promotions thursdays 6pm PST. He plays uke and she hula. He also has a uke class on fb. Their show thursdays will get you in the mood for Hawaii.   From what I  understand so far excursions will have to be done through Princess. We have always rented a car and did our own thing on each island, don't think it will happen this year. The ship is decorated beautifully for the holidays. New years eve is a blast, you can pick the venue to bring in the new year or walk around from area to area. You'll learn to say Mele Kalikimaka really fast lol. Let's cross our fingers we will be sailing in Dec.