Help needed to decide: Gain Corfu, Kefalonia & Patmos OR lose all 3 for Istanbul and longer port days?

vanchelle

Tips/Opinions appreciated to determine which itinerary:)🙃

Hey all-diving in to booking our 1st Med cruise: Greek Isles. Of course, as we've never been I am sure we will be in love with either itinerary but I am a planner and have always suffered from FOMO. We've decided it will be a NCL 7 day (June 2022) our of Athens for a few scheduling reasons, so that is narrowed down. 

the ship is the same for either itinerary....

• Option 1) The itineray I like a little bit more 6/19-6/26 = 1/2 days in Kusadasi and Patmos on same day, Full days in Rhodes, Mykonos, Kefalonia (which looks very appealing to me) Corfu and a later arrival to Santorini (12:30-9:30pm) . This itinerary brings us to more places that I want, but is probably feelign a bit more rushed w/ that split day #2 and a few less hours in other ports.
  • Option 2) The 2nd itinerary 6/26-7/3- is pretty similar but it is 1 fewer port and includes Istanbul-which also is so appealing...but I lose Kefalonia and Gain Volos and an extra hour or 2 in remainin ports (Rhodes/Mykonos/Santorini) ?
  • I have NO idea if the trade is worth that...I know nothing about Volos and if maybe I go with option 1?

I'm researching all of the ports to help in decision making but would appreciate your experience-insight on things I've not considered above/your experience with either itinerary.

Thanks!

The reason for the stop in Volos is to go to Meteora. Look it up. Istanbul and extra time at each port are best.

For me option 2 is the winner.

Also, for option 1, going to Patmos and Ephesus (Kusdasi) in one day is crazy. Not enough time for either one. 

Edited by marazul

The second itinerary looks great to me, much better than the first -- but then again I am not really one for beaches/natural beauty, at least not on a first cruise. Each of the ports on the second is a real gem. Although it will be a very busy itinerary, and you still only have half a day in Kusadasi (but it should be enough to get to Ephesus).

We went to Meteora in 2019 and it is spectacular but it is quite a distance from Volos.  Four hours round trip,  so after too much time in a van we would avoid this.  We love Istanbul but it has been an iffy port for the last several years due to the political  climate.  So anyone’s guess if it will actually stop there.   

I have been wanting to visit Patmos,  and have looked at this cruise but it is a  short stay.   It is harder to get to so for that reason alone I would grab it. 

We have spent several days on Kefalonia and really enjoyed that island.   We also have enjoyed Corfu.   So overall,  for us we would choose the first,  a quick visit to Ephesus in the morning followed by a visit to Patmos sounds wonderful.  

I am sure you’ll be happy either way.   Depends on your interests.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Thanks 1

I don't often disagree with bennybear, but I will on this one.  Don't miss a chance to go to Meteora even if it is two hours to get there.  That is, unless you are planning to do a land vacation in Greece in the future.  It is one of the most spectacular places you will ever see.  Check out the James Bond movie For Your Eyes Only.  There may be clips of the scenes in the monasteries in youtube.

I checked out your Option 2 cruise and it is excellent.  As cruisemom said, each port is a real gem. Volos is well timed (12 - 9pm) so you will get to the monasteries by the time they open for the afternoon hours and sunset in June is around 8:30 pm.  For Ephesus you do have 6 hours which is good for a visit to the ruins since they are only 30 minutes from the port.  At all other ports you will be just by the attractions.  The long port days are great.  You will have time to see a lot and even include beach time in the islands. 

Option 1 seems to rush the port stops.  Kefalonia is very pretty, but you already have three other islands in either itinerary.  Corfu is nice, but there is no comparison with Istanbul. 

• Like 1

@marazul love to discuss anything travel💕.  I agree that Meteora is spectacular but will admit my experience is coloured by our visit on an extremely long van trip that overnighted in Meteora.  I felt that that trip was very rushed and I am thinking with the late docking,  and the probable heat I wouldn’t do it that way.    For me it resulted in some major knee swelling and necessitated missing several port excursions and incurring large costs to get an ultrasound.  Others younger on the trip were also exhausted and cancelled their next day’s excursions.  So just something to consider.