Tipping for Room Service

DSJ28

1 hour ago, phillibl said:

Like it or not money is the universal language.  If I want the service people to know that I am appreciative I will tip as well as give a sincere thankyou.  

I hope you realize that offering money / to give a tip is considered an insult in some cultures.

By talking your "universal language" you may offend and insult people.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, carlmm said:

I hope you realize that offering money / to give a tip is considered an insult in some cultures.

Very true, it is a serious insult in Japan.

Live and learn.

That's the purpose of traveling to countries other than my own, to expose myself to those kinds of cultural differences.

That doesn't mean I'm going to just abandon my culture because I'm not sure.

If it's really important, the cruise line will tell you.  For example "shorts and exposed shoulders are not appropriate on this excursion."

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

Good point, I should have qualified what I was saying with referring to US/Caribbean area.

9 hours ago, carlmm said:

It is the responsibility of any traveler going to a country whose culture is different than their own to learn what is and what is not appropriate.  

54 minutes ago, crazyank said:

And where did you get that idea??

Having lived in Japan for 5 years and visiting many times since then all I can say is NOPE.  Tipping in Japan is not necessary or expected. However, it is NOT a serious insult but is consider a "foreign habit"

Sorry but that is wrong, They are also a very polite people and would probably not tell you that you have been rude by tipping, if you could understand them of course, did you learn Japanese? I have family there who speak Japanese.

It's considered rude because of culture, a Japanese worker will always give their best service and see a tip an a suggestion they need to be bribed to do a good job which simply does not compute in their minds

At best it's rude to tip in, at worst it's insulting, certainly an advance tip is insulting as it suggests they need it to do a good job and would otherwise give bad service.

image.png.1f68f3f1d05bd85897dd7d63008b496e.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, crazyank said:

And where did you get that idea??

Having lived in Japan for 5 years and visiting many times since then all I can say is NOPE.  Tipping in Japan is not necessary or expected. However, it is NOT a serious insult but is consider a "foreign habit"

Just gooogle "tipping slavery" if.you want to know more.about the origins of tipping particularly in the usa.

2 hours ago, nyk24 said:

Just gooogle "tipping slavery" if.you want to know more.about the origins of tipping particularly in the usa.

If this is true (and the only thing that can be true is the origin of the custom, not whether it continues to be a racist thing to offer wait staff), then the onus is on corporations and franchises in the food and entertainment service industry to start paying the full, and liveable wage.  Acting as though people are behaving like southern confederate plantation owners because they want to tip a waitress is just stupid.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Sorry but that is wrong, They are also a very polite people and would probably not tell you that you have been rude by tipping, if you could understand them of course, did you learn Japanese? I have family there who speak Japanese.

It's considered rude because of culture, a Japanese worker will always give their best service and see a tip an a suggestion they need to be bribed to do a good job which simply does not compute in their minds

At best it's rude to tip in, at worst it's insulting, certainly an advance tip is insulting as it suggests they need it to do a good job and would otherwise give bad service.

image.png.1f68f3f1d05bd85897dd7d63008b496e.png

I'm not going to debate this with you. You have your opinion, I have mine.  Yes, I speak Japanese.