Some sort of announcement pending with respect to Magnifica

Stockjock

As you may know, Magnifica UK sailings have been cancelled and the ship replaced with Virtuosa.  As I posted earlier, all Magnifica sailings have disappeared from MSC's search option from late May 2021 through late November 2021.

I currently have 2 cruises booked on Magnifica during this period.  One in October 2021 and one in November 2021.  The October booking had the photo and description removed and the description changed to NAR, whatever that means.  The November Magnifica booking still looks normal, although again it's not on the search engine.  If it can be booked, it would only be as a GUAR, but I don't even think that can be done, but possibly.

I was told by MSC that an announcement on Magnifica is pending and to keep an eye on the orange stripe at the top of their site for changes, announcements or cancellations.  I suspect that one of the following will occur.

1. The previously announced stretch and refurbishment of Magnifica will occur after all.  The ship would be out of service for months.  This is the most likely scenario.  I suspect that my October booking shows as NAR because they are sure it won't sail but haven't announced it yet.  I think my November booking looks normal because they feel that one has a pretty good chance at sailing.

2. The ship will be sold.  As previously mentioned, Magnifica was listed for sale and while the name of the ship was not shown, it was clearly identifiable as Magnifica in one or more photos.  Shortly after we discussed that, the listing and photos were removed and I was told that the listing was "a mistake".  Still, cruise ships don't just magically list themselves as being for sale.

Option 1 is definitely far and away the most likely scenario, especially given the fact that the booking engine will allow one to view and book cruises on Magnifica from late November 2021 going forward.

If you have an impacted sailing during this period on Magnifica, monitor that orange stripe and I probably wouldn't book flights and such at this time.  I do have my flights in place, but fortunately, everything I've done can be cancelled or changed.  Could be that the new flights are more expensive, if required, but at least I have that flexibility.

Edited by Stockjock

This photo shows the difference between my October Magnifica booking and my November Magnifica booking.This photo shows the difference between my October Magnifica booking and my November Magnifica booking.

0CC72CE9-3274-4FEF-B5C7-4DDB367E27D9.jpeg

I had this NAR on my cancelled cruise departing 16th May. I hope they are taking her to dry dock to revamp as she was starting to look a bit tired when we last sailed on her. I'm waiting for my ffc to transfer on to the same cruise 1st May 22 which at the moment is showing it will be on the Magnifica.

Hi Stockjock. What a small world!  We also have this cruise booked.  I was hoping it would automatically transfer to Virtuosa.  I haven't had any information, whatsover, about this sailing.  Am assuming will hear more after the Easter holidays.  

Like you suggested, will keep an eye out but on Cruise Critic, as I tend to find out first what is happening that way!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, panamapd said:

Hi Stockjock. What a small world!  We also have this cruise booked.  I was hoping it would automatically transfer to Virtuosa.  I haven't had any information, whatsover, about this sailing.  Am assuming will hear more after the Easter holidays.  

Like you suggested, will keep an eye out but on Cruise Critic, as I tend to find out first what is happening that way!

Just out of curiosity, based upon your name, are you a police officer? I am former San Diego PD.

As a sidenote, my plan was to go on the November cruise and I don’t think I would make the October cruise, so I’m not sure which one you are referring to. In terms of the November cruise, many of the stops are at the Greek islands and I don’t know if all of the stops can accommodate a big ship like virtuosa, but maybe.

Edited by Stockjock

36 minutes ago, Cruisernat said:

Hi, Those of you that mentioned your MSC bookings showing "NAR", did you ever figure out what  NAR means?

Thanks

Not 100%, but I think it means it's being changed or cancelled.  Probably cancelled.

• Like 1

As mentioned, I had two cruises booked on Magnifica.  One 10 might in late October 2021 and the other 11 night in November 2021.

The October 2021 sailing first changed to NAR but stayed at 10 nights.  Now it shows as NAR but only 2 nights but sailing 5 months sooner in May 2021.

The November 2021 sailing first moved up the date by 2-3 weeks without telling me.  I've now booked my flights and such.  Now, it shows as moving back 5 days and changing ships from Magnifica to Poesia.  However, MSC's website does not show this itinerary on this date from this starting point with Poesia.

I previously wrote a post called MSC Comedy of Errors.  Seems like it's one thing after the other.

For those unfamiliar, the worst of the errors was changing a 4 night out of Barcelona to a 20 night out of Brazil, and changing the sailing date, with no notification.

Edited by Stockjock