Obstructed View cabins on Zuiderdam

js cruisers

We have done over 30 cruises but none of them on Holland America.  We are looking at the Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam and are wondering about partially obstructed ocean view cabins.  We have booked this type of cabin on Princess and have found certain cabins that had very little obstruction. Are there also certain cabins on Zuiderdam with little obstruction in this category?  Thanks 

I was researching the Zuiderdam today also. The HAL cruise guru on TripAdvisor forum gives the OV obstructed a best value rating.   Go to TripAdvisor cruise forum and search Zuiderdam and the first or second entry will be that thread.   The guy does a great job of HAL cabin reviews.  

Edited by Mary229

I have booked both fully and partially obstructed staterooms on the Vista Class vessels and have been pleased with them. 

On a Panama Canal cruise, having a veranda makes little difference to me.  One needs to be "out and about" to see what is taking place around the ship.  One gets only a "slice of the action" if one remains in one's stateroom.  This is the same advice I offer for those sailing on an Alaskan cruise.  

We have sailed on Zuiderdam twice in cabin 4061 (category HH), and the view isn't bad (we picked it for the good price, and because it was at the end of a lifeboat and had a partial sea view.). 

There are three categories on deck 4, and, as you'll see from the deck plan, both H age HH  are largely behind a lifeboat (or its machinery). However, the G category cabins have windows that are smack between two lifeboats, so the view is better. 

These cabins all have windows that are floor-to-ceiling, and about six feet wide, so, even behind a lifeboat, there's plenty of light. Pick carefully, and you'll be rewarded. 

Also, unlike most other OV cabins, the bed is not directly in front of the window (it's sideways) so you can sit on the it and get a decent view, even if partially obscured. (Some cabins are directly behind a lifeboat, through, and the view's not much.)

One caution: there's a catwalk outside the window for maintenance, so don't be surprised to see crew there working. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kwb101 said:

One caution: there's a catwalk outside the window for maintenance, so don't be surprised to see crew there working.

And, the crew always seemed to be there in the early morning.  I learned to at least close the shear drapes before retiring for the night.  

But, if one forgets to do so, what's the crew going to see that they have not seen before?  😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

And, the crew always seemed to be there in the early morning.  I learned to at least close the shear drapes before retiring for the night.  

But, if one forgets to do so, what's the crew going to see that they have not seen before?  😀

I wasn't too concerned they'd see us, I was worried they'd laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1