LAX to Long Beach hotel transportation question

Luckysll

I’m flying into LAX and will need transportation to the Hotel Maya in Long Beach. This is not until next February, I would just like to have time to figure out what to do.

In the past, I’ve booked Supershuttle online, but I understand they are no longer available at LAX.  I’ve never used Lyft or Uber anywhere before and I’m seeing prices that are well above what Supershuttle used to charge for a shared van ride.  I found Prime Time shuttle, but they, too, seem to offer vehicles, not shared vans.  Does anyone know of a company that uses shared vans from LAX?  Or are they a thing of the past?

I will use Lyft or Uber, if that’s all there is of course, but the other problem is that I do not usually carry my cell phone when I travel to the US (my Canadian cell phone plan charges an arm and a leg if I cross the border).  I use my iPad when I travel.  I can download the Lyft and Uber apps but they need my cell phone number for confirmation. That’s okay while I’m here in Canada, but what if I don’t have my cell phone when I get to LAX?      

I know that the ride shares, etc. are located in a separate area at LAX now.  Do you need your cell phone to locate/call your driver once you get to this area?  Or is it something that you can arrange online and just print out the confirmation info with how and where to find your driver? If I have to take my cell phone, I will, but I’d really prefer not to just to use it this one time. 

Super Shuttle is out of business...but PrimeTime, Roadrunner, Karmel and others still exist to my knowledge (we just haven't had reason to use them for about a year now...

I think the "no shared shuttle" issue may be a Covid-related thing...During the Pandemic, it may be that they don't want to put six strangers in a van and risk one of them infecting the others...That likely also accounts for higher prices...The shared ride thing spreads the cost...

Even with that, we rarely use the shuttles of late.  I find the Uber/Lyft thing to be a much better experience...You don't wait around for the ride...and you don't waste time picking up others or making additional out-of-the-way stops.  Typically, we've also found Uber fares very reasonable...but they do vary depending on traffic, demand, etc.

You CAN use your iPad (or cell phone) if you can get WiFi...it doesn't work by phone call, rather by internet link...

With the new pick-up area, it's not hard to find your car/driver.  The Uber app tells you the license plate number, type and color of car and driver's name...and, at LAX, it tells you which lane of the pick-up area to go to.  The Uber app also lets you track the car, so you always now how far away they are (in minutes).  Once you start using it, you get to like the many features.

Thank you for the info.  I didn’t consider that the no shared rides might be Covid related, but that makes sense.  As a single female who travels solo, I try to have as much planned out in advance as possible, just for my own safety and peace of mind.  Not worried about using Lyft or Uber, it  just helps knowing what to expect.

On 4/5/2021 at 5:44 PM, Luckysll said:

If I have to take my cell phone, I will, but I’d really prefer not to just to use it this one time. 

I would also look into an international plan with your carrier. For example, with Verizon in the US, I can pay an extra $10 per day only for the days that I use it, to have unlimited calling and data in Canada (and many other countries). The days you are on the ship and your phone is off-- you aren't charged for it. 

I have to imagine there is a similar plan in Canada (without knowing your carrier). 

9 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I would also look into an international plan with your carrier. For example, with Verizon in the US, I can pay an extra $10 per day only for the days that I use it, to have unlimited calling and data in Canada (and many other countries). The days you are on the ship and your phone is off-- you aren't charged for it. 

I have to imagine there is a similar plan in Canada (without knowing your carrier). 

I will be checking with my plan carrier, but I’m pretty sure something like that is available.

I normally have a Canada/US cell phone plan but because of Covid I suspended it until we can go to the US again.   You should be able to get a SIM card so you can use your phone in the states just like here, check with your provider perhaps.  And there are apps available also.   I travel solo a lot and would not leave my phone behind.

The airports all have wifi just not sure how far their coverage extends at LAX.

• 3 weeks later...