Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

5 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

We used my Saphire points to book on Icelandair after Air Canada cancelled our flights. Some weird glitch with flights being booked through Jetblue on Icelandair - result is we cannot prepay for luggage or preselect seats. We're caught in the never-never land between two "partner" airlines whose system can't talk to eachother. Not very happy with that - but at least the cost was half of what we were initially paying for Viking Air (if paying in dollars) so that's a little consolation. Though using points for a budget airline is really a poor way to leverage their value.

I am assuming that you booked through JetBlue. Have you tried calling Icelandair with the reservation number from JetBlue? United partners with Lufthansa and we have had to call Lufthansa flying UAL with a LH segment for seating. 

1 minute ago, CatefromNH said:

OMG - We’re on the 7/24 sailing and just received the notice about tomorrow am. I wonder how difficult it is going to be to get into the site. Yikes!

What pencil pusher came up with this idea?

Hope their tech department did a stress test🤯

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

I think you were told that it's sold out by a customer service rep, and I was told 195 bookings by "tell us". Perhaps your rep was wrong. Perhaps my "tell us" was wrong.

And now I was just told by a customer sales rep that our cruise is completely booked, all 900 passengers. So I don't know what to make of it. My best guess is that it is only partially booked, and there are "dummy" reservations holding the blocked off cabins so that the system won't book them and will report full. Perhaps the reps don't know this.

9 minutes ago, CatefromNH said:

OMG - We’re on the 7/24 sailing and just received the notice about tomorrow am. I wonder how difficult it is going to be to get into the site. Yikes!

yay!!! Good luck.
I’m on the 8/3 and haven’t seen an email yet. I hope they don’t make us wait as long as they made the earlier cruisers wait.

1 minute ago, patchicago said:

I live in Chicago and I know for a fact that we do not have an accent.  🙂

We moved to Maryland in 2009 - and was kidded about my North-Side accent. I kept asking that winter when will it get cold? Wore short-sleeve shirts all year while they were wearing parkas. Now we are in the Shenadoah Valley in  Virginia. I don't sound like I'm from here either!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

I think you were told that it's sold out by a customer service rep, and I was told 195 bookings by "tell us". Perhaps your rep was wrong. Perhaps my "tell us" was wrong.

It's been sold out on the Viking web site for weeks and still says sold out.  My guess is you're right and they held cabins back.  Unfortunately they did not do so on the 17th ship.  I'm thinking of calling Viking Sales right now and see if I can switch.  Thanks!!

19 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

I am assuming that you booked through JetBlue. Have you tried calling Icelandair with the reservation number from JetBlue? United partners with Lufthansa and we have had to call Lufthansa flying UAL with a LH segment for seating. 

We did but the Icelandair agent said she couldn't do anything for us 😞 due to the systems not talking...

2 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

We did but the Icelandair agent said she couldn't do anything for us 😞 due to the systems not talking...

Sorry to hear that. They probably won't have the money to upgrade in the near future either.

1 minute ago, Heartgrove said:

Sorry to hear that. They probably won't have the money to upgrade in the near future either.

As long as we get there I'll have no complaints. I'm use to flyig to Australia so this trip is just a puddle jump in comparison.

16 minutes ago, patchicago said:

yay!!! Good luck.
I’m on the 8/3 and haven’t seen an email yet. I hope they don’t make us wait as long as they made the earlier cruisers wait.

I hope they don’t make you wait too long but I also hope they don’t add your sailing to tomorrow! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, id4elizabeth said:

It's been sold out on the Viking web site for weeks and still says sold out.  My guess is you're right and they held cabins back.  Unfortunately they did not do so on the 17th ship.  I'm thinking of calling Viking Sales right now and see if I can switch.  Thanks!!

Where are you hearing that the July 17th ship is sailing full? I'm trusting very few sources at this point.

15 minutes ago, id4elizabeth said:

Tried switching to the 13th - no luck.  According to Viking rep "regulations" require that Jupiter's 1st sailing in Iceland is no more than 50% capacity.  So you're a lucky dog foggyethan!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

As long as we get there I'll have no complaints. I'm use to flyig to Australia so this trip is just a puddle jump in comparison.

Yes, the ICE flight from BOS is about four hours and from IAD is just over five hours. We have been to Australia once and Australia-New Zealand once. I have a good friend in Melbourne. Strange how flying time LAX-SYD is longer than SFO-SYD.

11 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

No email for me 😩. I am on 8/3 sailing. Have seen posts from those of you on cruises up 7/27. Not sure if 7/31 sailors got notification

As of 4pm EDT, no notification for 7/31 sailing. 

8 minutes ago, emptyK said:

Where are you hearing that the July 17th ship is sailing full? I'm trusting very few sources at this point.

From two different tellus reps- the 2nd one a tellus@Viking "supervisor" named Josh who said 900 passengerd give or take.  Before that I was told 928 passengers.   I just talked to Sales to try and switch from 17th to 13th and he confirmed 900 on the 17th and 50% full on the 13th on Jupiter.  So that's 3 Viking sources in total.

2 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

I just got a call back from Viking after emailing tellus. She said that she looked at my sailing, July 13, and that it only has 195 bookings, give or take. So less than half sold. Yet the July 13th still doesn't have any shore excursions announced.

So this knocks down the hypothesis that we don't have tours announced because they went up to full capacity and can't get tour operators.

That is not quite 400 guests but the sailing date is Sold Out.  Now that supports the belief that Sold Out means all cabins released have been sold.  That is the first Jupiter sailing.  They may have intentionally held back cabins to give the crew a "break in" period with all the new protocols.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

My first 59 years (less my military years) were spent in Chicago. I still have my accent!

Just wondering how crowded they might be. We have sailed RT Hawaii on the Eurodam with six sea days each way and was fully booked. Yet never felt crowded and plenty to keep busy with. I enjoy sea days, takes me back to being in the USCG.  

Chicago?  We were born and raised in Chicago.  Moved to NJ for work in 1985.  I wouldn't say we have an accent, we just pronounce some words and vowels differently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, id4elizabeth said:

Tried switching to the 13th - no luck.  According to Viking rep "regulations" require that Jupiter's 1st sailing in Iceland is no more than 50% capacity.  So you're a lucky dog foggyethan!

[never mind -- I just read newer posts]

Just a reminder, though, that the rep I spoke to said my ship was at 100% capacity, and even double checked. So I think we have to accept that we don't know.

Edited by FoggyEthan
oops