Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

48 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Also, Joost on Viking TV last week said there’s only one tender port in Iceland.

When it comes to docking vs. tendering, the ship is at the mercy of the Harbor Master. Regardless of what we are told in advance of sailing -- on the Guest Statement or on a Viking video -- the Captain will do what the Harbor Master tells him to do when he arrives.

Our statement says to expect tendering in three ports

image.png.0acb089aabe81b00856f0c414b5ffa38.png

So that's my plan expect three -- but hope for one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

You’ll be wasting your time and energy getting tested before arrival in Iceland. Moderna is accepted. Just look at the government website!

Yes, I've seen the Iceland information and know that Moderna is accepted, however, it is not listed on the Delta website and they are the ones who will or won't let me on the plane.  If it's not in writing on the Delta website/information, I'm not willing to take that risk.

42 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

I put the shore excursions into a spread sheet so you can visually see how they would mesh together. I know times may be different for our cruise - but at least when they post I will have at least put together a potential game plan. All times for the free tours are in dark green. Hoping people will find it useful. I do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness so use with that in mind. Based on July 3rd sailing.

VikingTours.xls 42.5 kB · 11 downloads

Thanks; awesome.  And by the way, in case anyone's interested for pre-planning purposes: I emailed Viking yesterday to make sure that if a person wanted to do the Eldfell Mountain Hike extension, it's the Heimaey on Foot included excursion that must be taken. The answer was yes - Heimaey on Foot, not coach included excursion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKexplorer said:

I put the shore excursions into a spread sheet so you can visually see how they would mesh together. I know times may be different for our cruise - but at least when they post I will have at least put together a potential game plan. All times for the free tours are in dark green. Hoping people will find it useful. I do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness so use with that in mind. Based on July 3rd sailing.

VikingTours.xls 42.5 kB · 19 downloads

OMG My husband will love this. A spread sheet! His favorite way of organizing things. Thanks

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AKexplorer said:

I put the shore excursions into a spread sheet so you can visually see how they would mesh together

This is a fabulous piece of work, thank you so much for setting it out like this. 

Obviously each of us will have to double check times against our specific schedules, once shorex have been released but this is a great way to see the options, or perhaps more accurately the lack of them. 

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'd love the answer to those questions too.  I'm not sure anyone knows, or has booked two for one day and/or noticed how much of a gap there had to be. As for your dinner question, however, I would think that 45 minutes between the two times would be OK.  Of course, occasionally a coach excursion will get back a little late - but usually not a whole lot late. And unless there are a number of excursions getting back at the same time, it normally doesn't take a lot of time to get back on the ship - maybe 10 minutes max?  I don't think there's any system tie-in between dinner and excursion bookings, so whatever you're comfortable with will likely work unless there's a real hiccup with the afternoon excursion you're on.  But with some luck, maybe someone else can give more specific info.

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Clay did a post awhile back (sorry I don’t have the link) that said he was having trouble booking a tour due back at 5:00 pm because for various reasons his MDR reservations had to be at 5:45 pm and the system wouldn’t let him complete the reservation. I think he got it fixed by Viking.

Also, Joost on Viking TV last week said there’s only one tender port in Iceland.

There is definitely a tie between the excursion system and the dining system. Linda is half right, we booked our dining reservations as late as was available by the time I got the issue resolved so the three of us could dine together (this is the issue Linda says Viking helped resolve) which ended up being waaay too early for us at 5:45. 

When excursions opened up for us, I wasn’t able to book one of the included tours as the morning one was scheduled to get back 30 minutes before the start of an optional one we wanted. The afternoon one was scheduled to get back at 5 but it wouldn’t let me book it either as it said there was a calendar conflict. We are hoping maybe we can resolve that onboard....or better yet, move our dining reservation to something a little (but not too much) later. #FirstWorldProblems

• Like 2

It’s has been reported Viking has said that all cabins will have equal access to shore excursions once they are released. 

Obviously they are late releasing them but once they are released “happy hunting”

5 minutes ago, NancyinRuralPA said:

Does anybody know if Viking is giving the larger cabins earlier access to shore excursions?  Or, because of the short timeframe, does everyone jump in at once?

For the July 10th cruise, they appeared with no prior notice to everyone on board. I learned of it via a post on here early one evening and had to make my Mother-in-Law miss her favorite Hallmark show in order for us to get booked. 

Professionals have suggested to reserve and pay for each excursion in priority order before moving on to your next excursions.  Otherwise the one you have moved to your cart May disappear before you reserve all of them and get them paid for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Well, port in Seydisfjordur now has all Viking ships (Sky & Jupiter) assigned to a berth. 

Not quite. In the Port of Seydisfjordur Viking Sky will be anchored (tendering) on July 14; August 4, 25; and September 1, 8. Viking Jupiter will be at the pier on all Seydisfjordur  port calls. 

The literal translation for Stranderbakki is "beach shore." Akkeri translation is "anchor", and Bjoifsbakki is "(something) shelf."

• Like 1

I received a Viking email today with “Important Travel Requirements.”

this is copied from the message:

Pre-Cruise Timeline Summary:
1. At least 14 days prior to departure, be fully vaccinated with a FDA/WHO approved COVID-19 vaccine. 2. 72 hours prior to departure, fill out a pre-registration form for visiting Iceland.
3. When you travel—be prepared to show proof of your vaccination and valid passport.

I see nothing about bringing proof of a negative Covid test with you. 

Edited by Delhi Ocean Cruiser
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

For the July 10th cruise, they appeared with no prior notice to everyone on board. I learned of it via a post on here early one evening and had to make my Mother-in-Law miss her favorite Hallmark show in order for us to get booked. 

Professionals have suggested to reserve and pay for each excursion in priority order before moving on to your next excursions.  Otherwise the one you have moved to your cart May disappear before you reserve all of them and get them paid for. 

The same for the July 3 shorex.  No advanced warning, no cabin priority booking.  It was first come first served.  

It was a disaster and I hope that some of the delays subsequent sailing are facing is to fix these issues, especially the communication issues.  

• Like 3

I got a call from a "supervisor" at Viking this evening by the name of Josh.  No good news to report. 

The new excuse / reason for ShoreX delays for mid-July and later sailings is no longer "world events in Europe" but "worldwide pandemic".  No logical reason for why the worldwide pandemic has been overcome for the 1st 3 sailings close to 4 weeks ago but not for later except he did say something that alarmed me.  That was that each sailing is different.  And that Viking absolutely stands by their one included excursion in each port.  Optional excursions were different and they were doing their very best to come up with them but they might be totally different than the 1st sailings.  This did not leave me with a great deal of comfort.

Next topic is number of passengers.  He told me all cabins were sold out.  Of course they could be holding some cabins back and showing sold out.  I pressed for a number of passengers on our particular sailing of 7/17.  He put me on hold for a while and came back with the number 900 or so.  So this (and my guess is subsequent) sailings will indeed be packed.  I'm trying to imagine tables farther apart in dining rooms, every other row in busses, missing lounge chairs, missing places to sit in the Wintergarten, etc with 900 + passengers on board.  This jibes with the 928 figure I was given earlier if there's been a few cancelations.

So, packed ship with few ShoreX so even more people onboard, no place to sit in public areas, awkward dining times due to spread out seating, inability to get into the public capacity controlled "spa" area - - not setting up to be a really fun trip so far.  Oh and not to forget wearing masks in public areas - that's if you can find a seat.

I've decided to give up contacting Viking as it's just too frustrating -- I'll just keep trying MVJ and if ShoreX become available and we get some decent ones, great -- otherwise we'll wait to the last minute and cancel.  That way the ship won't be so full for those that gut it out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We are on the June 26 cruise.  Just got this from Viking.  Answers many of our questions, although it seems we will no longer have to be tested at the airport.

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210524-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Iceland-US.pdf

Well, I hope we won’t have to be tested at the airport in Reykjavik ( really would like to do the Blue Lagoon on the way into town ) but as of now, that is not a certainty. It looks good, but I will wait until it becomes official hopefully on 15 June before I do the Happy Dance 😉

• Like 1

I look at testing as worst case scenario, and what we signed  up for.  Anything else is gravy!  But fingers crossed.  I do think this is getting easier. Can’t wait to go.  I think you are going early.  Keep us abreast!

• Like 1

Last night I spotted on MVJ that Viking had posted my flights from London on BA arriving into KEF at 9:10am on 31/7  An early start but as it’s only a 3 hr flight from London it means we will be Iceland nice and early, which got me thinking. 

At what point do you join the Viking bubble? 

Could I get Viking to look after my luggage and transfer it to the ship, whilst I organised a full day Golden Circle private tour starting from KEF and was dropped off at the ship later that same day to be tested by Viking.

This would appear to be same situation as those organising there own air and arriving a few days earlier but would have the added advantage of somebody else looking after luggage. 

It is also dependent on Iceland’s entry rules are at the time but maybe by 31/7 proof of vaccination (tick) is all that will be needed to gain entry. 

Any thoughts welcome? 

22 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I look at testing as worst case scenario, and what we signed  up for.  Anything else is gravy!  But fingers crossed.  I do think this is getting easier. Can’t wait to go.  I think you are going early.  Keep us abreast!

Absolutely , just the worst case scenario. We can live with it if this is how it has to be. We have travelled on 6 trips ( all international except 2 ) since July 2020 and each one has gotten easier . It certainly is not going to be as dire as some make it out to be.  We are going 2 days early and will let you know how it goes. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Last night I spotted on MVJ that Viking had posted my flights from London on BA arriving into KEF at 9:10am on 31/7  An early start but as it’s only a 3 hr flight from London it means we will be Iceland nice and early, which got me thinking. 

At what point do you join the Viking bubble? 

Could I get Viking to look after my luggage and transfer it to the ship, whilst I organised a full day Golden Circle private tour starting from KEF and was dropped off at the ship later that same day to be tested by Viking.

This would appear to be same situation as those organising there own air and arriving a few days earlier but would have the added advantage of somebody else looking after luggage. 

It is also dependent on Iceland’s entry rules are at the time but maybe by 31/7 proof of vaccination (tick) is all that will be needed to gain entry. 

Any thoughts welcome? 

If you have a private tour, just ask for a vehicle large enough to hold your luggage. It sounds you're doing Viking Air so you have a transfer, so you could find the Viking rep in the airport and explain, I'd imagine.

It's an interesting question of when to board, because you won't be allowed back off again that day. Do you make the most of the day? Or settle in and eat free food? 8-)

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

When it comes to docking vs. tendering, the ship is at the mercy of the Harbor Master. Regardless of what we are told in advance of sailing -- on the Guest Statement or on a Viking video -- the Captain will do what the Harbor Master tells him to do when he arrives.

Our statement says to expect tendering in three ports

image.png.0acb089aabe81b00856f0c414b5ffa38.png

So that's my plan expect three -- but hope for one.

As always, Peregrina you are 100% correct. The itinerary we receive is nothing more than a plan, completed by the Operations Dept.

Whether the ship docks or tenders, and if docking, the actual berth is at the discretion of the port's Harbourmaster. Cruise Lines can book a specific berth, but it is subject to change, based on local conditions.

In many ports, we never knew which berth we were going to, until the Pilot boarded. In some ports, it changed, even after the Pilot boarded. I have also experienced ports where we anticipated docking, only to find a berth wasn't available, resulting in all hands being called to prepare tenders. 

• Like 2

I see in id4elizabeth's post that the Viking rep seems to have confirmed what I suspect.  Full capacity sailings (900+) for the subsequent cruises has probably become a challenge for shorex planning.

6 hours ago, id4elizabeth said:

So, packed ship with few ShoreX so even more people onboard, no place to sit in public areas, awkward dining times due to spread out seating, inability to get into the public capacity controlled "spa" area - - not setting up to be a really fun trip so far.  Oh and not to forget wearing masks in public areas - that's if you can find a seat.

I get your disappointment, but hopefully it won't carry over to your enjoyment once you board the ship.

I am beginning to think that the reason that shore excursions are not showing up for our cruises is that Viking is having difficulty lining up vendors. It appears that cruises subsequent to the first 3 are sailing at much higher occupancy. Although they are guaranteeing access to their included excursions, they are not guaranteeing access to the optional tours. Ugh!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

For those of you who have been able to book shore excursions, do you have to enter your credit card when checking out or does it automatically get charged to the credit card used when booking cruise?  Will it save time at checkout to pre register my credit card?

If you book an optional excursion on line, it goes into a shopping cart . You must enter a credit card number to pay for the items in your shopping cart in order to pay for and confirm your optional excursions.  I can’t answer  about whether or not pre registering a credit card would speed up the process as I never do that. 

• Like 1