What are the chances of a “normal’ cruise in South America next March?

crusinbanjo

Mrs Banjo and I are considering booking the Buenos Aries to Miami Fl next March, (2022).  I know. It is all conjecture at this point, but I am interested in CC members opinions on; if the cruise will go given the current CV—19 conditions in South America and under what restrictions?  We are also looking at the Venture for the Northern lights cruise, (same timeframe), and are wondering the same questions. 

There are, of course, no right or wrong answers, just your thoughts.  thanks in advance for the opinions

3 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

There are, of course, no right or wrong answers, just your thoughts.  thanks in advance for the opinions

Mr. SLSD and I are thinking that our first cruise may  be in the third quarter of 2022 . From what I have read, South America is struggling with the virus.  I would be wary.  Others may have another viewpoint on this.  We tend to be on the cautious end of the spectrum. We would not be booking the cruise you are considering. 

Outside of the US and the UK, the world is many, many months away from making vaccines available to all. Even a country like Australia is now openly saying it won’t complete vaccinations in 2021. And who knows, by then there might be mutations requiring everyone to get a booster shot... I’m highly sceptical about if and when the old normal ever returns. 

• Like 1

Brazil is clearly in a total mess, Covid-wise, perhaps the worst in the world at present, and that affects the stability of the country as well.  Probably half of your cruise involves Brazil so I would not be confident right now.

From my perspective, there are aspects of this cruise which do not appeal, though the Quest is my all-time favourite ship.  The itinerary does Brazil quite thoroughly but the two stops in Uruguay aren't that interesting and the Quest sails right past Suriname and Guyana which are seriously interesting.  In fact I'm eyeing up a Silversea trip in this region (Recife-Barbados) which covers everything but that's in April 2022 and I can't see it really happening.

I think the phrase is 'monitor the situation.'

We are scheduled to do the Antarctica trip in February 2022, from Santiago to Buenos Aires.  I am really hoping it is a go, even if they have to change the disembarkation location.  But the news for South America is bleak at best.  Sigh.