Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 18

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, April 26 and Sunday, May 2.

Things are starting to open up a little bit more! Get out there and take pictures!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

As most of our trees are eucalyptus, we don't really have fall in Australia. Just autumn from 1 March-31 May.

So, was trying to be creative in a mid-late autumn shot and reflections. Then went to the Botanic Gardens and found this introduced tree showing off.

Fall2.thumb.jpg.dc052603d66048d44facaa6b2fa9f9b3.jpg

Fall3.thumb.jpg.864852046951704c349a5e89dbe3a7c9.jpg

Fall1.thumb.jpg.823df7c80e86b70a7cb4ea154b174a60.jpg

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 5

Ole Miss Rebel Baseball vs South Carolina Gamecocks last night. The sky was a perfect Red & Blue for the Rebels and we got the victory 5-1.  Perfect night for baseball! (taken with my Samsung Galaxy 5S phone - just doesn't do it justice)1350415542_SwayzeField4302021.thumb.jpg.04aafbf905ce1e4cae111fa8e965ff04.jpg

• Like 4

On our way back from a family visit, we encountered this rental truck that displayed an example of what logisticians refer to as 10lbs of manure in a 5lb sack. It struggled up the inclines and sped down the declines on the winding stretch of Interstate 5 known as The Grapevine and changed lanes enough that we kept our distance. Until we didn’t. It was an irresistible photo-op. I was driving, so Wonderful Wife “strongly suggested” that I preset my phone and hand it to Sister Tammy and have her fire away as I passed. This week’s entry was the best of several good shots and the first PAW collaboration. I may edit my Jeff Foxworthy calendar for May 1 and add “If you load 24’ of your stuff on a 20’ rental truck, you just might be a Redneck” Thanks for the assist, Tammy!

You Just Might Be...

1164310740_2021-18YouJustMightBe.thumb.jpg.ccd27bc94812d44567fb84a15f36c9ed.jpg

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I looked up at just the right time to see this in the sky this afternoon. It only lasted about 10 minutes, so I only got cell phone pictures. 

20210502_133043.jpg

20210502_133148.jpg

20210502_133226.jpg

Edited by PurpleHays
  • Like 6

Got in some broiling hot wildlife shooting at the wetlands again Saturday - temps in the mid-90s and humidity in the low 80s.  The winter birds will soon be leaving and the spring migrators are passing through heading north from South America...so there's still some good activity out there.

Black-throated blue warblers migrating through:

original.jpg

A least bittern chick, strayed out of the nest to await mom's return with some food:

original.jpg

This downy woodpecker craftily figured out how to retrieve not just one larvae from the branch, but half a dozen of them in one billful:

original.jpg

A purple martin flying around like a little jetfighter, snagging bugs out of the air:

original.jpg

This alligator was looking for some shade - these cold blooded reptiles love warmth, but even for them, it can get TOO hot - so they crawl into the shade, and open their mouths to vent excess heat:

original.jpg

This turtle found itself a nice perch on which it could rest its feet from carrying around that heavy shell all day, and looked quite smug with its choice:

original.jpg

Last week I shared a bunch of the baby birds as this is prime nesting season...one of the species I didn't show any chicks of was the tricolored heron.  The first nest of them hatched sometime in the last few days - so here they are, fresh from the egg:

original.jpg

• Like 6

My camera club ha an outing to Port Melbourne Sunday afternoon. I have posted a sunset (just before the rain) in the other thread.

But i thought these could be of interest. Anyone who had sailed on a cruise in or out of Melbourne will have been at Station Pier. Just to the west is the remains of Princes Pier. This is the one where so many ships carrying immigrants from Europe arrived.

The first 3 are of a memorial to the immigrants. The last is the remains of the pier.

Princes2.thumb.jpg.4dcdc8a1db4531cdc8eba9afcf931e7a.jpg

Princes1.thumb.jpg.4018bda160d2ef89c190fc84330f88c3.jpg

This is the other side of the Princes structure. Shows people on a ship and the family greeting them on the wharf.

Princes4.thumb.jpg.228f632a68347fe0f9aa076e7c9e1f95.jpg

It's gone.

Stumps1.thumb.jpg.d0618f6fe57976f97eb2a85f5d56cee0.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Stumps1.thumb.jpg.d0618f6fe57976f97eb2a85f5d56cee0.jpg

I have never seen these from "gound-level', only looking over from the cruise ships. You are the second person in a couple of weeks whose photo with a similar POV I have seen. I need to get back there to have a closer look I think ... 😉