My First River Cruise after Covid - A Review

TravelinGert

Warning - I'm a terrible writer and my photos are no better. But I wanted to share a bit about my first post-pandemic cruise experience. We were originally supposed to do this cruise on the American Duchess in March of 2020, but sadly our cruise was the first week cruises were cancelled so we had to rebook for this year. My husband, Mother-in-Law, and I boarded the American Queen Steamboat Company Company April 25th Lower Mississippi cruise of the American Countess. We were so excited to be out and about now that we are all fully vaccinated.

We boarded in Memphis after the overnight our package included. We were so disappointed to find out we weren't at the Peabody as we'd originally been assigned, but we made the best of it.  The Sheraton was clean and comfortable, just very plain, and we did have a good night's sleep prior to boarding. We did end up heading over to the Peabody after finding out there wasn't really anything much available for lunch at the Sheraton, and we loved seeing the ducks and eating lunch there. One of the staff told us we got shifted because they had limits on capacity during that time. Here's hopeful with everyone getting vaccinated those will go away.

The boarding process was smooth and carried out well. They gave us all our bus assignments and room keys as soon as we showed our negative test results before we could enter the breakfast buffet. The buses were timely and so spotlessly clean! When we got to the boat they passed out champagne and we finally felt like we could believe this cruise was really happening!

20210426_094722.thumb.jpg.3987d067dec69c863ae9ce7db47a0b07.jpg

• Like 1

We joined those who had boarded before us in the Grand Lobby to sip our champagne and enjoy the view. 

998803374_ViewFromGrandLobby.thumb.jpg.f7149caa6ad8bd08caff9f83c186337f.jpg

After a bit of chatting with new friends we decided to have a walk around the ship. We got to see the beautiful Grand Dining Room all set for dinner that night.

271239017_GrandDiningRoom.thumb.jpg.5c74fc935ea0f4a3d75264b3b1e317fc.jpg

And the Theater was ready for our evening show.

Theater.thumb.jpg.8f7b56c261f1d3f486af1e548853eb23.jpg

I've posted more over in the American Queen Steamboat forum here. I do wish I was a better writer and photographer. Or at least had remembered to take some good photos of our cabin. If anyone wants any more particulars like photos of menus or our closet on the boat give a shout out.