For those who have sailed both Gem and Jewel...Tell me why I will like Jewel more :-)

Red-Sol

I realize both ships are very similar and currently I have only sailed on Gem....I'm hoping to learn about any little quirks that people who have sailed both know about Jewel and if there are reasons they might prefer it over Gem (or vice-versa)

We've sailed on the Gem four times and the Jewel twice.   While there are differences in decor of course, they are nearly identical ships in terms of deck plans, dining, amenities, etc.  They both have the wonderful Great Outdoors, the Spinnaker Lounge, and the promenade deck.

There are some differences, though.  The Gem has a Bridge Viewing Room (forward, Deck 11), while the Jewel does not.  That's what you have referred to as a "quirk," and imho it's a plus for the Gem.  Another difference is that on the Jewel, the shops are in the stern on Deck 7, while that space, on the Gem, is the Bliss Ultra Lounge.  The Bliss Ultra Lounge on the Jewel is midship on Deck 7. 

They are both great ships.

Edited by Turtles06
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We've sailed on the Gem four times and the Jewel twice.   While there are differences in decor of course, they are nearly identical ships in terms of deck plans, dining, amenities, etc.  They both have the wonderful Great Outdoors, the Spinnaker Lounge, and the promenade deck.

There are some differences, though.  The Gem has a Bridge Viewing Room (forward, Deck 11), while the Jewel does not.  That's what you have referred to as a "quirk," and imho it's a plus for the Gem.  Another difference is that on the Jewel, the shops are in the stern on Deck 7, while that space, on the Gem, is the Bliss Ultra Lounge.  The Bliss Ultra Lounge on the Jewel is midship on Deck 7. 

Ah Yes..The Great Outdoors is such a great setup and feature...it's really a shame that some of the newer ships couldn't incorporate something similar. (I know they made some different types of attempts..but never the same) Thank you very much for the info! (It will also be great to get back to the Spinnaker Lounge!

11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

There are some differences, though.  The Gem has a Bridge Viewing Room (forward, Deck 11), while the Jewel does not.  That's what you have referred to as a "quirk," and imho it's a plus for the Gem. 

The JEWEL does have a Bridge viewing room port side passageway forward deck 11 - - -

It is just not showing on the cruisedeckplans Deck 11 although there are plenty of little camera

icons to click on. 

FYI -

The JEWEL and the JADE are of the same configuration - gift & duty free shop deck 7 aft

and Bliss lounge mid-ship deck 7 -AND- have the missing Bridge Viewing room on deck 11.

The GEM and PEARL are the same Bliss lounge Aft deck 7 - gift & duty free shop mid-ship deck 7.

and have the Bridge Viewing shown on cruisedeckplans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The JEWEL does have a Bridge viewing room port side passageway forward deck 11 - - -

It is just not showing on the cruisedeckplans Deck 11 although there are plenty of little camera

icons to click on. 

Thank you for correcting me.  It's been more than four years since we were on the Jewel, and while I was pretty sure there had been a Bridge Viewing Room back then, I checked NCL' s own deck plan before I posted above, and NCL's official deck plan does not show it.   But I will assume that's an error on the deck plan, so thanks for the correction! 

A random quirk (that most may never see) is that on the Gem in the spa, the coed area has a hot tub, heated loungers, thalaso pool, showers, etc. On the Jewel, the coed area only has the heated loungers and a thalaso pool. There is a hot tub in the men's area and another in the women's area, but there is not a coed one. 

• Like 1

Well when I first asked this question I was ready to pull the trigger on a Jewel Cruise out of Miami in November...based on all of the latest announcements from NCL it is no longer happening 😞 Back to the drawing board.