Laundromat

floridababa

19 hours ago, floridababa said:

Is there a laundromat at the Civitavecchia port? Doing a B2B and would love to wash things. Also do we bring change or euro bills?

A quick google brings up a couple in Civitavecchia town.  You will not find any in the port area.

https://lavagettone-elettrolux.business.site/

https://lavanderia-superpulito.business.site/

They probably use 1 and 2  euro coins (if that is what you mean by 'change') but I am sure that the would give change of 5 or 10 euro notes.  Do not use euro notes larger than €50 as they are not widely accepted.

I will give the OP some hope.  A few years back we had this same discussion here on CC and a few of us mentioned there was a laundromat in Civitavecchia.  I know of one that was located about 2 blocks from McDonalds (near the port entrance adjacent to the fort) but my info is more then 5 years old.  Given how many things in Civitavecchia have changed over the the past few years and what may have happened during the COVID mess I no longer feel my info is reliable for present day.  Since none of us have been in Civitavecchia for over a year I doubt if any cruiser has current info that one would call "reliable."    I have done a little research and have found the place still existed into at least 2019.  Since it would violate board rules to steer you to other social media sites all I can do is give you an address:

Via Zara 21

00053 Civitavecchia

Italy

I should tell you that my DW would say, "there is no way I am spending a port day doing laundry!:  There are times when we just bit the bullet and let the ship do our laundry.

Hank

Just now, Hlitner said:

I will give the OP some hope.  A few years back we had this same discussion here on CC and a few of us mentioned there was a laundromat in Civitavecchia.  I know of one that was located about 2 blocks from McDonalds (near the port entrance adjacent to the fort) but my info is more then 5 years old.  Given how many things in Civitavecchia have changed over the the past few years and what may have happened during the COVID mess I no longer feel my info is reliable for present day.  Since none of us have been in Civitavecchia for over a year I doubt if any cruiser has current info that one would call "reliable."    I have done a little research and have found the place still existed into at least 2019.  Since it would violate board rules to steer you to other social media sites all I can do is give you an address:

Via Zara 21

00053 Civitavecchia

Italy

Keep in mind that there is no longer a shuttle bus to the fortress entrance and depending on your docking position it could be over 1 mile from your ship to the Fortress.  The free shuttle buses drop you at a different part of town which is still a hike from the downtown area near the Fortress.  I am not aware of another laundromat closer to the shuttle bus stop but it is sure possible that something else is in that neighborhood.

I should tell you that my DW would say, "there is no way I am spending a port day doing laundry!:  There are times when we just bit the bullet and let the ship do our laundry.

Hank

9 hours ago, floridababa said:

Thank you.  When I told my husband he said I think you can splurge and have laundry done on ship

That is called 'OBP'  Onboard Brownie Points! 😉

We find laundromats in Europe to be a social event.  We typically throw our clothes in and then find ourselves having a coffee or wine across the street with some other couple who are doing the same.  Did exactly that in Civ, Florence, Palermo, Riomaggiore etc.    A must for us because we only travel with carry on.   We are typically doing six to seven weeks of land travel prior to taking a cruise.

We use the ships laundry service when we are on board however if we are departing from Civ we would typically visit that laundromat the evening before.   There is often a bunch of locals doing the same who are greatly 'interested' in strangers and are more than happy to watch your clothes while you go for lunch, dinner, etc.  In many places there is a service.  You drop them off, pick them up two or three hours later.  Washed and pressed as appropriate.

In Palermo, the owner turned out to be a retired fisherman from Boston who had returned to his homeland.  Wonderful man.....but DW said the local women in the shop seemed very interested in her knickers that were in the wash.  Go figure.

Edited by iancal

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Via Zara 21

00053 Civitavecchia

Italy

Hank

Well, it still exists according to google street view!  (And I am with your DW - no laundry days in port for us.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0907105,11.7935303,3a,75y,152.05h,90.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ7bqShkGXca9bYE1JpFqBw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited by marazul

So I will sum up our philosophy about doing laundry while on a cruise and/or trip.  Years ago we would go the laundromat be it on a ship or on land.  But then it occurred to us that we were generally spending over $500 per day (averaging out the cost per day of a trip) to be traveling and for that price we are not going to waste 2-4 hours doing laundry.   We are now fortunate that we get free laundry services on about a dozen cruise lines  (because of our loyalty status) and when we don't get free laundry we just figure we would rather spend the money then our time.  That being said we have just this situation with our upcoming trip to Greece.  It starts with a 14 day cruise on a ship where we do not get free laundry, and then we will spend another week island hopping on our own.  So I guess we will pay to have needed laundry done on the ship.

Hank

3 hours ago, marazul said:

Well, it still exists according to google street view!  (And I am with your DW - no laundry days in port for us.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0907105,11.7935303,3a,75y,152.05h,90.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ7bqShkGXca9bYE1JpFqBw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Yes, but that street view is from August 2018.  Fingers crossed it's still there.

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So I will sum up our philosophy about doing laundry while on a cruise and/or trip.  Years ago we would go the laundromat be it on a ship or on land.  But then it occurred to us that we were generally spending over $500 per day (averaging out the cost per day of a trip) to be traveling and for that price we are not going to waste 2-4 hours doing laundry.   We are now fortunate that we get free laundry services on about a dozen cruise lines  (because of our loyalty status) and when we don't get free laundry we just figure we would rather spend the money then our time.  That being said we have just this situation with our upcoming trip to Greece.  It starts with a 14 day cruise on a ship where we do not get free laundry, and then we will spend another week island hopping on our own.  So I guess we will pay to have needed laundry done on the ship.

Hank

Try the "bag of laundry" service. It's a good deal. But it seems that pretty soon you may qualify for the free bag perk.

• 1 year later...

On 6/1/2021 at 1:49 PM, marazul said:

On 6/1/2021 at 4:58 PM, euro cruiser said:

Yes, but that street view is from August 2018.  Fingers crossed it's still there.

Does anyone know if this place still exists? We are doing a back to back in October, 12 nights and then a 15 night transatlantic. We do get free laundry on the ship, but we will need to wash some other items that we don't want to send to the ship's laundry. We thought we could go here on the turn around day. Any info on whether it is still there would be appreciated!