Cruise Approvals Picking Up Speed

KennyFla

The CDC has approved port agreements for 22 ships, with 6more in the works.  Hopefully MSC has their 3 ships included in there.

Of interesting note, The CDC has only had 2 requests for fully vaccinated cruises.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25145-cdc-is-quickly-approving-port-agreements-homeports-and-test-voyages.html

• Like 2

I read that article too and was a bit frustrated. Why so cryptic? Just tell us already 🙂

I can't keep up with which line is doing what. The article reads: In addition, the CDC said it has approved or provisionally approved four requests to conduct simulated voyages with six more requests under review.

Disney has one cruise ship approved for test voyage and Royal has three. Do you know which other lines are going the test cruise route to resuming? It is highly likely those are the cruise lines that won't require 100% vaccination (otherwise, why run a non-revenue generated sailing?).

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I read that article too and was a bit frustrated. Why so cryptic? Just tell us already 🙂

I can't keep up with which line is doing what. The article reads: In addition, the CDC said it has approved or provisionally approved four requests to conduct simulated voyages with six more requests under review.

Disney has one cruise ship approved for test voyage and Royal has three. Do you know which other lines are going the test cruise route to resuming? It is highly likely those are the cruise lines that won't require 100% vaccination (otherwise, why run a non-revenue generated sailing?).

Carnival has been approved, and Bahamas Paradise, the small cruise line out of Palm Beach I think.

This was filed as part of the suit Florida has against the CDC for the CDC to prove Florida is not being hurt financially by the cruise industry being shut down.

Do I have this correct?

Carnival, Royal, and Disney are all going with test cruises (yes the bahama paradise was approved too). This likely means they will not be requiring vaccination for those sailing because if they were going to sail 95% vaccinated they could do revenue generating and skip the test cruise entirely.

Celebrity and NCL are both doing vaccinated only cruises (at least for the time being) beccause they are sailing from the USA with revenue generated cruises.

No one knows what MSC is doing from the USA.

We all think that Florida's Governor's requirement will end in compromise, but that is still to be determined also.

Do I have this right?

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Do I have this correct?

Carnival, Royal, and Disney are all going with test cruises (yes the bahama paradise was approved too). This likely means they will not be requiring vaccination for those sailing because if they were going to sail 95% vaccinated they could do revenue generating and skip the test cruise entirely.

Celebrity and NCL are both doing vaccinated only cruises (at least for the time being) beccause they are sailing from the USA with revenue generated cruises.

No one knows what MSC is doing from the USA.

We all think that Florida's Governor's requirement will end in compromise, but that is still to be determined also.

Do I have this right?

That's the way I understand where we are right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

This was filed as part of the suit Florida has against the CDC for the CDC to prove Florida is not being hurt financially by the cruise industry being shut down.

It's incredibly frustrating that this is how you choose to interpret Covid's impact on the cruise industry. Do you honestly believe, please take a moment for honest self reflection, that the CDC doesn't believe that the "no sail" order hasn't financially hurt the Florida cruise industry? The CDC exists to control the spread of disease, hence their name. Financial issues, vacation plans, foggy glasses, etc. are not their main concern... stopping the spread of a disease that has killed 595,000 US citizens is their concern. Nearly 37,000 Floridians have died from Covid. that's like the Divina and Meraviglia sailing seven night voyages for more than a month filled with nothing but dead bodies.

Of course there's been financial impacts; that's been felt everywhere from small communities all the way to global economies. The CDC, governments both federal and local, and the cruise corporations need to work together to make sure cruising is safe. No one wants to be on a plague ship because procedures in the USA were rushed or not well thought out.

The CDC is not some cartoon villain twisting their mustache menacingly while anxious cruisers wait to get back onboard. Please try to keep in mind that human life is slightly more important than pleasure cruising on a big floating city filled with thousands of people, some of which had questionable sanitary practices before the pandemic.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, optimusprime82 said:

It's incredibly frustrating that this is how you choose to interpret Covid's impact on the cruise industry. Do you honestly believe, please take a moment for honest self reflection, that the CDC doesn't believe that the "no sail" order hasn't financially hurt the Florida cruise industry? 

I don't want to get this thread deleted, but.....

The point was that if not for Florida's lawsuit against the CDC we would not have seen the movement we have seen in the last 3 weeks.  Just an amazing coincidence that the CDC is rapidly approving test cruises now so they can file that against the lawsuit.

It's not as if NCL applied for approval for a totally vaccinated cruise back on April 3rd and only recently heard back.

31 minutes ago, optimusprime82 said:

The CDC is not some cartoon villain twisting their mustache menacingly while anxious cruisers wait to get back onboard. Please try to keep in mind that human life is slightly more important than pleasure cruising on a big floating city filled with thousands of people, some of which had questionable sanitary practices before the pandemic.

I sure hope that your loyalty placed in the CDC holds up better than the trust most of the nation placed in Dr Fauci.  The information coming out now about him is extremely bad.  

If you want to believe what the media feeds you, more power to you.  I absolutely do not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Getting my popcorn 🍿 ready for @KennyFla's response...

I'm not really expecting to change his mind, it's pretty clear what is and isn't important to him.

Just a quick side story from earlier this week that feels appropriate to share here...

On Tuesday, my wife and I went to a "Celebration of Life" (aka a belated funeral) for the wife of her closest cousin who passed away last August from cancer, she was in her mid 40s and worked in the healthcare industry as pediatric RN. The event was held in a suburb of Columbus, OH and was relatively well attended by family and friends despite her passing nine months ago and her and her family having lived in Texas for more than a decade prior to her passing. 

Anyways, the event was held at a church. Of the one hundred or so people there I was the only person wearing a mask (I'm vaccinated and so is my wife and her parents). My wife did have her mask with her but chose not to wear it since she is vaccinated and many there were her family. I stepped away for a few minutes to visit the men's bathroom. While at the urinal I heard a man in one of the stalls having a very loud "bathroom experience" which I can only assume was a #2 based on the grunts, wheezes, and mutterings on top of the other noises you usually associate with taking a big poop. When I finished my activities I sidestepped over to the nearest sink and began washing my hands, at that point a large man exited the stall and proceeded to walk directly past the sinks and left the bathroom. Outside in the gathering area I saw him shake hands and hug numerous children, teens, adults and senior citizens.

What does this story have to do with Covid procedures and cruises resuming you might be wondering? Well, during the hopeful tail end of a worldwide pandemic I attended a "funeral" where I was the only person still willing to wear a mask to not only protect myself and but others. I then "firsthand" witnessed a large maskless man take a labored poop and proceed to not to take even one minute to wash his hands before potentially spreading fecal matter to his family and friends.

Yep, I can't wait to get back to the buffet, touch the elevator buttons, use those Swarovski crystal handrails, and to get some chocolate soft serve ice cream from the machine. I bet we're ready... no... I know we're ready,

You make an interesting point.  

We are now back to normal as I see Norovirus ruining your cruise is a greater concern.  Thank you for confirming.  And I won’t even have to wear a mask to protect myself. 

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl
  • Like 1