Specialty Restaurants

Qwltngcruiser

RE Chef's Tables: As posted, not included in suite rates. It has been our experience that if one sells out quickly, it isn't unusual for a 2nd to be added. Semi special: the Rijkstaffel. Some cruises will have one, others don't. I think if enough passengers request one, they add it. I love a rijkstaffel, but on our two occasions on Azamara, they definitely were NOT worth the price. Food was meh, not bad, but one would expect with a huge Indonesian staff it would be a hell of a lot better. Honestly, don't waste your money. If you want a good rijkstaffel, start or end your trip in Amsterdam. The patio for dinner: we've never done it. It's mostly for lunch, and my problem with it is that the burgers are so damn good, as are the fries/chips, kabobs, and onion rings, I eat too much, and dinner becomes a problem. A big problem if they've got something wonderful on the menu. (Tacos are not wonderful as far as I'm concerned.) And the worst item on the MDR menu, each and every single night, without fail: escargot. Always fantastic, never a worry about vampires afterwards, and enough butter to make even Julia Child cringe. Leave your tie and jacket/cocktail dress or gown in the room for that one. I think they serve them to keep the laundry busy.  2nd worst: the MDR onion soup, which is light years better than the fancier version they pawn off in Prime C. If you want snails or onion soup, skip Prime C that night!  Final word: I brought a bottle of La Crema Pinot Noir on board one trip, we opened it up at a table for 6 one evening to go with the snails. Never had a pinot with snails before, and I'm not a big California pinot lover. Magic, best $20 investment I've ever made, and we had a table full of very grateful new friends. I've posted before, it's really, really hard to go hungry when you travel with Azamara. And as much as I love eating in the specialty restaurants as often as possible, it's almost impossible to go wrong in the MDR, in fact, some items are definitely better than what is served upstairs. Enjoy everyone, hope I haven't bored you to death! David

• Like 5

Just goes to show how subjective food is. I really enjoy the Rijsttafel. I've been to a few and they are always good fun and super food.  They are set it up in different ship venues. The Sunset Veranda, The Patio. I've even had one in the Drawing Room.  I'd definitely recommend trying it. They make such a nice effort with the Indonesian waiters dressed up in their local dress. And they are very happy to tell you about the dishes, what's spicy etc.  

My only advice?  Pace yourself right from the start as the food just keeps coming and coming!  If you are interested then ask when you board if they are planning one. 

Phil 

• Like 2

Yes.  Separate from everything else.  
Maitre’d at table outside specialty restaurants on embarkation day will have a list of available special dinners such as this and chef’s table to sign up for.  If not available on first day, people may request it and it may be added later.  Used to be offered almost every sailing I have been on, but I usually am onboard sailings longer than 7 days.

My advice is visit with the Maitre’d on embarkation and stay in touch with him.  They may add additional chefs tables and have different menus a day or two later.  Let him know your interests.  There is a table set up in Windows restaurant throughout the cruise on deck 9, also.

now, someday, if we choose to cruise Viking, can I pick your brain…LOL?

I will have lots of questions!

• Like 1

Viking bathrooms are wonderful. It is one of the main reasons we jumped up to CC Suite. 
What we don’t like is the  prepayment policy of Viking. It works for a huge amount of people. Cruises are showing sold out all over the place. We have paid 12-18 months in advance. We liked it when it was 6 months in advance. They are not flexible right now so I see this as ‘another door opens’.  

• Like 1