Specialty Restaurants

Qwltngcruiser

Hi, sorry I’ve been asking so many questions lately. It’s our first cruise, so we’re just trying to navigate all of this. 

We have one specialty dining credit per our room. But we were wondering if we should go do the larger dining package and maybe even the chef’s table? Will we be missing out in the MDR, or are the specialty spots worth 6 out of 7 nights of the trip? I know we want to keep at least one night open for the white party, or is it better to eat at the restaurants instead of that night too?  Is there ever food with the Azamazing night, or do you eat separately? How soon do you find out which nights those events happen before the cruise?  I wouldn’t want to guess and book a restaurant for a night that would overlap those if they are truly worth the time. 

2 minutes ago, Qwltngcruiser said:

Hi, sorry I’ve been asking so many questions lately. It’s our first cruise, so we’re just trying to navigate all of this. 

We have one specialty dining credit per our room. But we were wondering if we should go do the larger dining package and maybe even the chef’s table? Will we be missing out in the MDR, or are the specialty spots worth 6 out of 7 nights of the trip? I know we want to keep at least one night open for the white party, or is it better to eat at the restaurants instead of that night too?  Is there ever food with the Azamazing night, or do you eat separately? How soon do you find out which nights those events happen before the cruise?  I wouldn’t want to guess and book a restaurant for a night that would overlap those if they are truly worth the time. 

We like the MDR just fine, but usually book a package that includes the Chef Table and 1 each of the specialty restaurants. The Chefs Table is fabulous. They are reimagining White Night, at least for the short term. Instead of the big bbq on deck, there will be multiple venues around the ship. I’m thinking cocktail parties, but who knows? Also, at least until spring 2022, the Azamazing evening will be an onboard event. It might show up in Shore Excursion with a $0 cost. Don’t know whether food will be served or not, but guessing no more than nibbles, if anything.

For our first Azamara cruise, I will also add that we enjoyed the MDR.  The tables for two were some larger than on the other cruise lines we use.  We enjoyed the variety of the menu and the service.  We didn't even attempt to make reservations in either specialty venue.

Our next Azamara cruise we will be in a club continent suite, where some specialty dining is included, so I will make some reservations (probably 1 each) in the specialty venues.  Though the way to make reservations is to get on board and go to the reservation desk.  Would be much more convenient being able to make them on line ahead of time.

In our last Azamara cruise we had unlimited specialty dining included so we tried each restaurant once.  We felt that the MDR was just as good (and we really enjoyed Windows Café on Indian night), and we like the variety of menus there better than going back to the same menu in a specialty (except maybe to Prime C for  rack of lamb).  The chef's table is really special, and we would do that again.

• Like 3

Here's what I'd do if a first time Azamara cruiser on a 7 night cruise. Use your one specialty booking that is included in your room and when you get onboard, have a look at chef's table option. Enquire when you board what night it is and what the theme is (there are a few). Ask to have a look at the menu and if it appeals then book it. If it doesn't then book one more specialty at the other one. That's all I would commit to on that short a cruise. 

The rest just let fall in to place. There is a buffet theme every evening. You may fancy one of those. As Jazzbeau says, Indian night there is great. The nice thing about the buffet of an evening is the tables are properly dressed with glasses and cutlery so you don't feel like you are eating in a refectory.  It's also really nice to sit outside at the Sunset Veranda. 

Leave one night to dine The Patio and you are done.  That's what I'd do. You can try the other Specialty next time if you don't do both. They are both good IMHO. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Here's what I'd do if a first time Azamara cruiser on a 7 night cruise. Use your one specialty booking that is included in your room and when you get onboard, have a look at chef's table option. Enquire when you board what night it is and what the theme is (there are a few). Ask to have a look at the menu and if it appeals then book it. If it doesn't then book one more specialty at the other one. That's all I would commit to on that short a cruise

I agree. Somehow I missed that it was a 7 night cruise.

I remember when I was asking those questions. First, I love the specialty restaurants. No crowds, better service (if such a thing is possible), great menus, and if you ask politely, they have many goodies that are not on the menu. Like lobster tails, dover sole, etc. For a 7 nighter, I recommend the 3 night special. That gives you plenty of time in the MDR, where the food is fabulous, and the atmosphere is a tad more bucolic. 4 nights is a bit much. Regarding the Chef's Table, I love them, DW is okay with them. We've done the Italian twice, and the food is better than what we get at home (lived in Italy for 7+ years, we know Italian...). French table twice, very good, but the wines were a tad eh. "Japanese" once. It was "Japanese" in the sense that we were approaching Japan. California style, no not worth the money. The big thing with the chef's table is the wine parings. If you are wine lovers, definitely do it, especially the Italian dinner. If you can take it or leave it, despite your room credit, I would say leave it, and have a good glass of wine with your dinners. Hope this helps. I love to report that I had one very bad dinner on our first Mediterranean cruise in 2010. It was called "Beef Stroganoff" and it was beyond ghastly, and it's really hard to do a Rasputin on a beef stroganoff dish. They did it. I believe the chef was keel hauled in shark infested waters afterwards. It was very reminiscent of Chinese restaurant take out Beef in Pepper Sauce. Red and Green peppers remain in my memory. It has never reappeared on any subsequent cruises that we've been on. Go for the 3 nights, make sure you have a hamburger poolside (best burgers on the planet, but don't eat too much because there will be dinner), and have a wonderful trip. Where are you going? 

• Like 2

Thanks. We’re not huge wine drinkers, so maybe that isn’t a venue for us. Not that we don’t drink wine, but we’re more of a “buy what you like” than the “this wine pairs with that” kind of drinkers. 

We’re going to Med on the Nov 12th cruise. Very excited! It’s our first real vacation together alone and our 25th anniversary celebration. Everything has always been about the kids and extended family. We even got married when we were in the Nvy during training schools, so we only had a day off to get married…..no honeymoon. So we are over the moon about this vacation!!! 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Qwltngcruiser said:

Thanks. We’re not huge wine drinkers, so maybe that isn’t a venue for us. Not that we don’t drink wine, but we’re more of a “buy what you like” than the “this wine pairs with that” kind of drinkers. 

We’re going to Med on the Nov 12th cruise. Very excited! It’s our first real vacation together alone and our 25th anniversary celebration. Everything has always been about the kids and extended family. We even got married when we were in the Nvy during training schools, so we only had a day off to get married…..no honeymoon. So we are over the moon about this vacation!!! 

You will have a wonderful time! If you do end up at a Chef’s Table, recommend forgoing before dinner cocktails. A LOT dog wine is poured at those dinners!

• Like 1

Just now, Mackdogmolly said:

You will have a wonderful time! If you do end up at a Chef’s Table, recommend forgoing before dinner cocktails. A LOT dog wine is poured at those dinners!

Um, not DOG wine! A lot OF wine - lol

• Haha 2

All our AZ cruises have been 11 or 12 nights and we always get the Chef’s Table plus two package and eat at Aqualina and Prime C once each. We like to try to do Chef’s Table early in the cruise because every time we have met fun people who we then spend time with during the rest of the cruise. Add in White Night, 

quick buffet dinner on the Azamazing evening, one dinner at Patio and it does not seem like too much time in the Main Dining Room for us because it doesn’t end up being six nights in a row so there’s variety. We enjoy Discoveries very much and one thing I like about it is the flexibility to show up at any time where with the specialties it’s a set time, also the ease of getting a table for two. That works for us because we eat on the “later” side which for AZ has meant around 8:00. On all our cruises Discoveries has been very busy from 6:30 - 7:45 so there can be a wait. But we’ve never waited longer than 15 minutes and enjoy having a drink in the bar so it’s all good!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Qwltngcruiser said:

I wouldn't get too hung up on the intricacies of dining.  It's one of the things I really enjoy about Azamara with the very relaxed approach here. No great need to plan. Have a basic framework and see how you feel. Azamazing Evening until we move through covid is different as it's onboard. Hopefully that will change. Normally the dining room is open earlier to eat before you go, but that doesn't suit me so I'll make sure to have something later in the afternoon (like at The Patio) and then wait until I get back and they lay on sandwiches and bites in the buffet. 

Phil 

• Like 3

I concur with everything posted after mine. You can stick to poolside and the buffet, trust me, you will NOT go hungry! Other than the Stroganoff horror show, I have not had a single bad meal on board. Oh, there was the North Sea cruise out of Denmark to Iceland a number of years back. No kippers in the main dining room for breakfast. How THAT happened in Scandinavia is beyond me. And let me reiterate about the Chef's Tables. If you aren't a big wine drinker, it's not worth the price. The wines are terrific, incredibly well paired (well, I've had a minor complaint or two and was very happily accommodated), and the food is wonderful. But the wines available with lunch and dinner happen to be very good, with rare exceptions they are the quality that I would serve at home, and if you want something fancier, it's always available. If you aren't "big drinkers", whatever that actually means, I've found that  my occasional top shelf drink before dinner never comes close to approaching the cost of the drink packages, and that's for the two of us. Have a wonderful time. Can we assume you are going next year? I found a Med cruise from Nov 12 2022 Rome to Athens, but not this year. DW and I are booked B2B from Civitavecchia/Rome to Barcelona and then on to Lisbon this November.  Just curious. David

1 hour ago, Dr H said:

I concur with everything posted after mine. You can stick to poolside and the buffet, trust me, you will NOT go hungry! Other than the Stroganoff horror show, I have not had a single bad meal on board. Oh, there was the North Sea cruise out of Denmark to Iceland a number of years back. No kippers in the main dining room for breakfast. How THAT happened in Scandinavia is beyond me. And let me reiterate about the Chef's Tables. If you aren't a big wine drinker, it's not worth the price. The wines are terrific, incredibly well paired (well, I've had a minor complaint or two and was very happily accommodated), and the food is wonderful. But the wines available with lunch and dinner happen to be very good, with rare exceptions they are the quality that I would serve at home, and if you want something fancier, it's always available. If you aren't "big drinkers", whatever that actually means, I've found that  my occasional top shelf drink before dinner never comes close to approaching the cost of the drink packages, and that's for the two of us. Have a wonderful time. Can we assume you are going next year? I found a Med cruise from Nov 12 2022 Rome to Athens, but not this year. DW and I are booked B2B from Civitavecchia/Rome to Barcelona and then on to Lisbon this November.  Just curious. David

Yes it’s next year. Couldn’t be more excited!  I’m sure we will have a blast. We did our research and felt Azamara really fit our personalities. 

• Like 2

Enjoy. Azamara has been pure elegance. In 2015 we were on a cruise with them, the last one prior had been 2 years earlier. The Matre'D recognized me on D1, and asked how my wife was. He asked by name, and in my book, that is impressive, and typical Azamara. The ships are small, forget something in your room, you can leave the main dining room, go back to your room, you are back at your table in under 5 minutes. It isn't a 3 mile hike, in each direction. The ship is elegant. No facilities for kids, so no screaming in the hallways. No rock climbing walls or water slides. Dress is business casual. You won't see torn jeans on anyone. You can dress as elegantly as you like. I pack a navy blazer and a tie, usually get to wear it once. There are some great videos on YouTube you might want to look at. And November is a great time for the Med. It will be warm, cool, but the heat of the summer is gone, as are the tourists (ah, if only...). Just keep planning and have fun doing it!

• Like 2

We have a CC Suite on hold for B2B next May totaling 15 nights. 
We very much enjoy good wine. It sounds like the Chefs Table is the best option for that with food pairing, but are the wines in that venue available in other restaurants to purchase or request if we buy the premium wine package? Also, does the menu change/rotate at the Chefs Table?

Now that voyages are likely to be weekly for a while this will create tremendous demand on speciality. I wonder if they will allow prebooking for suites as otherwise it may become an unusable perk.

My other dream would be for Dale to return for the first rotation of Onward as we never got the chance to thank him and say Goodbye 

53 minutes ago, procter said:

Now that voyages are likely to be weekly for a while this will create tremendous demand on speciality. I wonder if they will allow prebooking for suites as otherwise it may become an unusable perk.

I hope not.  On Regent we were up at midnight Central US time scrambling to book our one allowed pre-booked reservation, with an earlier booking date for bigger suites.  Azamara has always been first-come, first-served, as it should be on a one-class ship.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

I hope not.  On Regent we were up at midnight Central US time scrambling to book our one allowed pre-booked reservation, with an earlier booking date for bigger suites.  Azamara has always been first-come, first-served, as it should be on a one-class ship.

Totally agree.

Suites have unlimited use of the Specialty restaurants.  They (and often, we) do not need to also have first shot at general dining reservations.

My past experiences is that while the Italian and French "menus" are permanent entities, what is served does indeed change. I can't tell you how frequently. I just took a peek at Host Jazzbeau's link, and saw a Middle Eastern menu. That is new, I've never seen it before. As I posted previously, there was a pseudo-Japanese table that was really nouveau California, with a weak Japanese accent, if you can imagine such a thing. Food was good, wines were all California, but it weren't Japanese by a long shot! There had been a formal California menu, but our attitude was we didn't spend thousands to get on a boat to eat steak and avocadoes.  Regarding reservations, I've never been to a Table that wasn't fully booked. Plan on making your reservations upon arrival. We have never had trouble getting dinner reservations at Aqualina or Prime C, certainly not if you book on arrival or the day before. Keep in mind that these ships don't carry 4,000 passengers at a pop. You might not get the time slot you want, but you will get a seat. Or two. The Chef's Table wines come from their cellar, and while I've not tried to purchase a bottle elsewhere, I have no doubt that if you really like something, it will be made available to you. One thing I've found with Azamara, just because it isn't on a menu or a pull down, doesn't mean it's not available if you ask. We had dinner in Aqualina one night, and I wanted lobster for an appetizer. Not on the menu, anywhere. I asked, and the reply was "How many". The Maitre'D was not happy when I said "Two". I got four tails, and he insisted I take a fifth. Sandie got the fifth. Along with her Dover Sole, when was taken off the menu a few years earlier. Final wine point, for now at least. Azamara allows you to bring your own alcohol on board. If you can carry it, it can come in your suitcases. There is a modest corkage fee for opening your own bottle in any of the restaurants, and they go out of their way to accommodate. No fees or charges for drinking in your own room. I brought a bottle of dynamite Chardonnay with me one trip, and actually introduced the sommelier to Fogerty winery. Told me he couldn't drink while on duty, I check, no one was around, told him sampling isn't drinking. He loved the stuff, and had never heard of Fogerty Winery (I think it's a Palo Alto address), and that he would look into it. No, I have no attachment to the place, other than I consider it to be a semi-religious pilgrimage every time I visit my brother and family in Cupertino.  So as I love to say, keep planning. If we happen to bump into each other, you owe me a drink upstairs.  David.