Not a big thing but may say something about the future. (Masks+flying)

sverigecruiser

Some of the current "thinking" is that the TSA mandate will be allowed to expire in September.  Given the legal status of the CDC cruise policies, suggesting that CDC exceeded its legal authorities, the mask mandate might also face that scrutiny since it is supposedly based on CDC recommendations.  Whether someone will challenge on that basis before its expiration date is a question.

The bigger question.....which of the major carriers will be the first to say "it's OK to fly maskless on our flights"?  There will be great pressure from flight attendant unions to keep company mask restrictions.  And which will be first to risk being called "irresponsible" by the fear mongers in the public and press?

Interesting dynamic on the FA pressure to keep masks on -- one the one hand, mask incidents are the greatest source of confrontation between crew and passengers.  OTOH, the mandate gives airlines reasons for service cutbacks, and is one more reason for crew to be draconian with passengers, which many seem to enjoy.  I remember a recent flight when FAs repeatedly barked over the PA system that failure to keep masks on at all times would result in being banned from the airline as well as federal criminal arrest and prosecution.    The message was given in an almost gleeful threatening tone.

And, FWIW, there is at least one Asian airline that allows passengers to remove masks if fully reclined in the sleeping position in business class.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

The bigger question.....which of the major carriers will be the first to say "it's OK to fly maskless on our flights"?  There will be great pressure from flight attendant unions to keep company mask restrictions.  And which will be first to risk being called "irresponsible" by the fear mongers in the public and press?

Interesting dynamic on the FA pressure to keep masks on -- one the one hand, mask incidents are the greatest source of confrontation between crew and passengers.

Do you have any inside i formation about this or is it just your own thoughts? I know that you know a lot about flying so I absolutely don't question that you are correct but my thoughts are the opposite.

Shouldn't the flight attendants prefer if no masks are needed now when many are vaccinated?

1. It's much easier to work without a mask.

2. They won't have to confront the passengers about it.

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Do you have any inside i formation about this or is it just your own thoughts? I know that you know a lot about flying so I absolutely don't question that you are correct but my thoughts are the opposite.

Shouldn't the flight attendants prefer if no masks are needed now when many are vaccinated?

1. It's much easier to work without a mask.

2. They won't have to confront the passengers about it.

No special "inside" info....just lots of reading on the public positions of airlines and employees.

The "pandemic" was a prime opportunity for both airlines and crews.  Airlines got to cut back on inflight service - all in the name of "safety" and social distancing.  Largely in illogical ways.  For example, a FA might serve you a can of soda, but to reduce "touch points" and interaction, she wouldn't serve you a can of beer.  FAs in first class provided service to passengers, but in coach it was cut back for "safety".  Even with all of evidence showing minimal to no surface transmission, the airlines and crews continue with their "cleaning and sanitizing" theater.  Just look at their incorrect glove procedure for proof.

FA crews got to like that they could use the pandemic to now make minimal interactions with passengers and could now spend most of their "work" day doing nothing.  If there's no real danger posed by the passengers (or even the illusion of danger), then they have to do their work.  Look at the public statements of Sara Nelson, the FA union head.  She wants to keep FAs doing minimal work and passengers to be corralled sheep (or self-loading freight).

Regarding confrontations -- I believe that there is a subset of FAs who enjoy their "power" over the passengers.  Instead of being glorified waitresses filling the request of the passengers, they now have the upper hand and can invoke "security" concerns at any time.

Is any of this fully documented?  Nope.  Just a lot of connecting the dots.  Do all FAs feel this way?  Probably not - but it's the ones at the top of the union and corporate hierarchies that make the decisions.

I really hope that I am wrong and just projecting.  But the tea leaves don't seem to support those hopes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have flown twice in the last 3 months, both trips with multiple airports and layovers.  I would not dream of flying without a mask on.  The one positive thing about it is the flights are very quiet.  No one is talking.  I like that.