Are US Passports required for US sailings in Caribbean?

Into Cruising

On 7/16/2021 at 9:56 AM, alyssamma said:

I guess the cruise lines disagree with you 🙂 As mentioned, I've known people who have done this - both in the Caribbean and for Alaska cruises that stop at Canada. I found the above article plus several others that this.

From Carnival's website about Martinique:

• For cruises that visit Martinique, guests going ashore are required to carry a valid, unexpired passport. .

There are some countries that require all passengers to  have a valid passport no matter if you plan on staying on the ship.  Most Caribbean ports, Mexico and Canada will allow you to use a certified birth certificate.

That being said, if you don't have a valid passport and you need to return to the US, even if you need emergency evacuation, the Passport card and your birth certificate do not work to board a plane right away until you go through many hoops/getting in touch with the local US Embassy.  I'm in the private air charter business and we deal with this weekly.  US Customs is very strict and all passengers have to be cleared before departure and have a negative COVID-19 test before they board our plane.  We submit our manifest to Customs 2 hours before departure and they run the checks for proper documentation. 

Spend the few extra dollars and get a passport.  Also think about travel insurance.  An ad hoc last minute emergency airlift from Aruba to Miami can cost over $25,000+ and must be paid up front.  I have a high limit on my Am Ex, but not enough to cover the air ambulance plus any other medical costs. 

4 minutes ago, eagletwo said:

There are some countries that require all passengers to  have a valid passport no matter if you plan on staying on the ship.  Most Caribbean ports, Mexico and Canada will allow you to use a certified birth certificate.

That being said, if you don't have a valid passport and you need to return to the US, even if you need emergency evacuation, the Passport card and your birth certificate do not work to board a plane right away until you go through many hoops/getting in touch with the local US Embassy.  I'm in the private air charter business and we deal with this weekly.  US Customs is very strict and all passengers have to be cleared before departure and have a negative COVID-19 test before they board our plane.  We submit our manifest to Customs 2 hours before departure and they run the checks for proper documentation. 

Spend the few extra dollars and get a passport.  Also think about travel insurance.  An ad hoc last minute emergency airlift from Aruba to Miami can cost over $25,000+ and must be paid up front.  I have a high limit on my Am Ex, but not enough to cover the air ambulance plus any other medical costs. 

Just to be clear...

a) No one is stating that *not* having a passport is a good idea. I think everyone agrees that *if possible* travel with one.

b) The OP was specifically talking about Caribbean. Nothing I've said applies outside of there (and Canada).

c) Travel Insurance for a cruise is also a good idea. The OP didn't ask about it, but I agree...everyone should purchase it.

Edited by alyssamma

5 hours ago, eagletwo said:

An ad hoc last minute emergency airlift from Aruba to Miami can cost over $25,000+ and must be paid up front. 

But why would you need an emergency airlift from Aruba????

While travel insurance is nice, it’s not always a must-have. 

8 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

But why would you need an emergency airlift from Aruba????

While travel insurance is nice, it’s not always a must-have. 

Well, odds are you wouldn't...but that's exactly why you get insurance. Not for the 99/100 times but for the 1/100 times.

But I agree with you...if you were on Aruba you'd just stay there. I think the poster really meant an airlift from the ship while you are in the middle of the ocean and not docked anywhere.

Odds are the ship can treat you, but again, you get the insurance for the times the odds aren't in your favor. Airlifts do happen and when they do they're expensive.

Insurance will cost you around 50 or 60pp and cover other things like missed/delayed flights, lost baggage, normal medical costs (secondary, but cover the deductible on your primary),

Or let's say a relative dies the day before a cruise or you fall and break your leg...insurance will cover you there also.

But hey, like so many other things, it's a personal choice. Many travel without it.

5 hours ago, alyssamma said:

But I agree with you...if you were on Aruba you'd just stay there. I think the poster really meant an airlift from the ship while you are in the middle of the ocean and not docked anywhere.

Odds are the ship can treat you, but again, you get the insurance for the times the odds aren't in your favor. Airlifts do happen and when they do they're expensive.

There are many cases in which people are air lifted to Miami from Caribbean islands because of a medical problem that needs more sophisticated medical care than available on the island. 

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

There are many cases in which people are air lifted to Miami from Caribbean islands because of a medical problem that needs more sophisticated medical care than available on the island. 

Yeah, it can happen, but I would suspect more rare than being lifted from the ship.

Regardless, we agree and are saying the same thing...but none of it has to do with the OP's question which was will a birth certificate be good enough if he stays on the ship.