Assistance for DM76 at airport

KKB

She is flying SWA to meet me (I’m doing B2B)

Flies from OMA-MDW then MDW-FLL; 2 hour layover.

She gets around fine but gets a bit more winded since she hasn’t been out in her walks as much the last 5 months due to battling cancer.

If she finds the gate is quite far, can the gate agents call a cart for her? Can they do the same in FLL to get her to baggage claim? (For the life of me I cannot recall how far it is to baggage claim)

THX !!

Edited by KKB

13 minutes ago, KKB said:

She is flying SWA to meet me (I’m doing B2B)

Flies from OMA-MDW then MDW-FLL; 2 hour layover.

She gets around fine but gets a bit more winded since she hasn’t been out in her walks as much the last 5 months due to battling cancer.

If she finds the gate is quite far, can the gate agents call a cart for her? Can they do the same in FLL to get her to baggage claim? (For the life of me I cannot recall how far it is to baggage claim)

THX !!

Inform the airline that the passenger needs wheelchair/cart assistance.  Such assistance will be provided.  Even if one delays doing this until the day of the flights, such assistance can be provided.  That has been my experience when I have flown on Delta.  I have never flown on Southwest.  

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Inform the airline that the passenger needs wheelchair/cart assistance.  Such assistance will be provided.  Even if one delays doing this until the day of the flights, such assistance can be provided.  That has been my experience when I have flown on Delta.  I have never flown on Southwest.  

I did make a note on her reservation...

I'm worried they will be there w/ a wheelchair & piss her off, lol.

She is still fiercely independent. 

5 hours ago, KKB said:

Southwest does have wheelchair assistance (and wheelchairs if you do not have your own) but you should request it ahead of time for the best service.   

The wheelchair pushers can take you from ticketing to your gate, from your gate to baggage claim and/or taxis, etc.  They will stop by a restroom if you need to use it.   

The wheelchair pushers know exactly where your connecting flight is so there is no confusion regarding how to get there.  

You could also do a search on the same flights for the previous day to see what gate your arriving plane is expected to arrive at and the where the connecting flight gate is expected to depart from (subject to change, of course).  

The wheelchair assistance is very good and efficient.  Tipping the wheelchair pusher is common.  

The worst that can happen is if she does not want to use the wheelchair, just tell them you decided not to use their service.

Depending on the airport, they may have electric carts that transport passengers who need assistance or they may have wheelchair pushers.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KKB said:

It she is irritated, so be it!  Use me as a reference.  I am an independent person as well.  And, still am.  July, 2019, deplaning at Vancouver's airport:  that was when my awakening to the realities of my physical changes took place with regard to travel.  It's a hard pill to swallow for us independent travelers.  But, it's reality.  It's God's will.  Accept it; deal with it; or be "pissed off" for the rest of one's life.

What you have done in making the airline aware of her need is in her best interest.  You are being a Good Samaritan.    

• Like 3

On 7/22/2021 at 2:07 PM, rkacruiser said:

It she is irritated, so be it!  Use me as a reference.  I am an independent person as well.  And, still am.  July, 2019, deplaning at Vancouver's airport:  that was when my awakening to the realities of my physical changes took place with regard to travel.  It's a hard pill to swallow for us independent travelers.  But, it's reality.  It's God's will.  Accept it; deal with it; or be "pissed off" for the rest of one's life.

What you have done in making the airline aware of her need is in her best interest.  You are being a Good Samaritan.    

Yep; it can bit a bit of a hike at YVR to get off the plane to Immigration/Customs.  At least it's very attractive along the way on the elevated walkway; or did you arrive from Portland/Seattle and arrive at the old shed that is the E90 gates, which sadly isn't a great 1st impression.

15 hours ago, scottbee said:

Yep; it can bit a bit of a hike at YVR to get off the plane to Immigration/Customs.  At least it's very attractive along the way on the elevated walkway; or did you arrive from Portland/Seattle and arrive at the old shed that is the E90 gates, which sadly isn't a great 1st impression.

I arrived on a Delta flight from MSP.