EU SIM card?

kayjaypea42

Hi all! So I will be doing a 3-night pre-stay in Rome, then a 7-night cruise going to Naples, Florence, Barcelona, Palma de Majorca, and Marseille, and possibly a post-stay at Capri.  I'd like to get a SIM card that I can use on land (I assume that the same overage charges would apply on the ship as with a traditional Verizon sim, so I'll keep it on airplane mode on the ship).  I'd want one for the sake of Google maps, messenger services (to make sure the pup is ok while I'm gone), and general web searches.  Has anyone used this before?  https://www.airalo.com/europe-esim  Is the data speed sufficient for say, walking directions or translation services, or just in general loading a web page?  I probably won't be doing too much streaming, but one never knows... 

If it's not, is there another pre-paid SIM that you recommend that could work in all those ports (or at least in Italy)?

Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kayjaypea42,

FYI, Google maps (and translate) now work offline, but you must download them before ahead of your trip so that they're available on your device when you arrive and are ready to use them. 

To send texts or make calls, yes a SIM card works well. I don't know Airalo, it's new to me but I'll check it out later, looks interesting. If you're able to switch a SIM card into your phone, this is an easy way to use your phone while overseas. Just buy a card, pop it in and then you can usually top up as needed on the website of whomever produced the card you bought. 

There are a few SIM card providers, popular ones are Vodafone, 3 (Three), TIM, and WIND. In Italy I have used 3, worked well, no problems whatsoever. Others here have used Vodafone (you can do a board search for the term Vodafone) and people with T-Mobile can use their phones as they are, no card required I believe. 

Good luck! If you use the app, let us know how it worked out 🙂 

On 8/2/2021 at 6:45 AM, kayjaypea42 said:

Hi all! So I will be doing a 3-night pre-stay in Rome, then a 7-night cruise going to Naples, Florence, Barcelona, Palma de Majorca, and Marseille, and possibly a post-stay at Capri.  I'd like to get a SIM card that I can use on land (I assume that the same overage charges would apply on the ship as with a traditional Verizon sim, so I'll keep it on airplane mode on the ship).  I'd want one for the sake of Google maps, messenger services (to make sure the pup is ok while I'm gone), and general web searches.  Has anyone used this before?  https://www.airalo.com/europe-esim  Is the data speed sufficient for say, walking directions or translation services, or just in general loading a web page?  I probably won't be doing too much streaming, but one never knows... 

If it's not, is there another pre-paid SIM that you recommend that could work in all those ports (or at least in Italy)?

Thanks so much!

I am not familiar with the one you mentioned, but for several years prior to our last cruise in 2019, I was using the Orange Holiday Sim Card that you can buy on Amazon.  It is good for 14 days at a time, and you can recharge it for around 20 Euros for another 14 days if you need it.  If you recharge it every 6 months, you can keep using it forever as far as I know.  We never got close to running out of data, and I think we were buying 10 GB at a time.  It worked perfectly for having live maps, or to search for restaurants or ATMs, for communicating with friends and family by email and by WhatsApp, etc.  We would also put the phone on airplane mode when on the ship, for the reason you note.  My understanding is that now, if you buy a Sim card in an EU country, at least in general it will work in all EU countries (and sometimes in additional countries, as well).  The Orange Holiday Sim Card (and other Sim Cards I have purchased in Costa Rica and in Israel) are physical Sim cards that you would put in your phone in place of your regular Sim card (or in our case we brought along an old phone and used it in that phone instead).  Airalo sounds simpler since you are not actually changing the Sim card, and I may check it out.

Tom & Judy

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, kayjaypea42 said:  I'd like to get a SIM card that I can use on land (I assume that the same overage charges would apply on the ship as with a traditional Verizon sim, so I'll keep it on airplane mode on the ship).  I'd want one for the sake of Google maps, messenger services (to make sure the pup is ok while I'm gone), and general web searches.  Has anyone used this before?  https://www.airalo.com/europe-esim  Is the data speed sufficient for say, walking directions or translation services, or just in general loading a web page?  I probably won't be doing too much streaming, but one never knows... 

Thanks so much!

@kayjaypea42 Hi Did anyone reply to your question about quality and usefulness of the airalo esim ? It sounds useful for cruisers and if your below 20G the price is decent.

@ColdCruise  No bites yet, alas.  But if you do try it, please let me know how it goes! I won't be going until May of next year, but if I try it before you do, I'll let you know! Although, buying a physical sim card and putting it in the old S8+ might be a better option for me.  Safer in that there's no confusion between it and Verizon. 

• 2 weeks later...

I assume the OP is aware that their phone must be "unlocked" in order to use anything other then the Verizon SIM.  

For us life is much easier since we have T-Mobile which simply works everywhere.  And upgrading it to LTE outside the USA only costs $50 a month.

Hank

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi 

have a look at this you can buy a card 

https://www.traveltomtom.net/destinations/europe/italy/best-prepaid-italy-sim-card

My recommendation

Traveltomtom recommends buying a Windtre prepaid sim card on arrival at Rome Airport. For €20 you get 20 GB data.

Keep in mind that if you buy a sim card at Rome city center, you can get 100 GB for €20, just saying... check out my complete guide for buying a sim card in Italy for more info.

I am sure you will be able to do the same at other airports or cities