BOGO airfair. Buyer Beware

SkeeterPilot

We were 120 days out when we got notification, but not from ncl, the airline..they had a change as we were flying out of Orlando with stop in North Holland, the connection was originally only an hour and they switched us to Judy over 2 hours layover.  It was also with klm, not AA as I had assumed!  Not sure about checked baggage, doesn’t give us the option at this time, so I might have to train hubby to pack lighter!  I was able to go on  and preselect seats at no charge (just joined their loyalty club for free).  I could have upgraded to more legroom or economy comfort seats for a fee, but didn’t bother as we are both under 6 feet (me by a lot) and hubby doesn’t care..of course, this far out they may change!

also, I couldn’t have come close either by price or peace of mind right now with ncl bogo prices for us to Europe!

Edited by Hadacareer

9 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Thanks, just got my assignment - exact flights hat i assumed . How do you choose seats on Iberia & BA flights? I was able to do AA, can't figure out the others.

They usually will assign you a record locator number for your reservation, which you can then use to access the reservation on the airline's website. However, if you are traveling on multiple airlines, you may have several record locator numbers. How soon is your cruise? Our initial booking had us on American down to Miami but Delta on the way back, flying out of Fort Lauderdale. We had 2 record locators,  one for AA and one for Delta. But they changed the reservation and we are now only on American, with just one record locator. We've flown BA and Iberia and gotten multiple record locators before, it's not uncommon. If all else fails, you can call the airline and get the number.

Your situation definitely sucks and can be used as a valuable lesson to others. Most airlines charge for luggage now, and since Southwest kind of does their own thing, I think it’s best to expect to have to pay. As for Basic Economy, I hate that concept and don’t think it’s right for a company selling a package to stick their customers with it. If a person wants to choose it on his/her own, have at it, but otherwise, I think regular economy fare should be the default.

If you keep your current flights, at least you’ll have the benefit of many back-up flight options across the major airlines. I’ll never forget the Southwest Airlines reality show episode I watched years ago where someone missed his/her flight or it was canceled or something, and he/she asked to be rebooked on another airline and was told no because Southwest doesn’t partner with others. That person went to another airline to check the last minute fare, and it was outrageous; I can’t remember for sure but seems like it was $1,500 or something. Personally, I’d rather pay a little more to fly a major airline with a wide range of partner airlines; to me, it’s insurance. 

I wish you smooth travels and an awesome cruise!

42 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Your situation definitely sucks and can be used as a valuable lesson to others. Most airlines charge for luggage now, and since Southwest kind of does their own thing, I think it’s best to expect to have to pay. As for Basic Economy, I hate that concept and don’t think it’s right for a company selling a package to stick their customers with it. If a person wants to choose it on his/her own, have at it, but otherwise, I think regular economy fare should be the default.

If you keep your current flights, at least you’ll have the benefit of many back-up flight options across the major airlines. I’ll never forget the Southwest Airlines reality show episode I watched years ago where someone missed his/her flight or it was canceled or something, and he/she asked to be rebooked on another airline and was told no because Southwest doesn’t partner with others. That person went to another airline to check the last minute fare, and it was outrageous; I can’t remember for sure but seems like it was $1,500 or something. Personally, I’d rather pay a little more to fly a major airline with a wide range of partner airlines; to me, it’s insurance. 

I wish you smooth travels and an awesome cruise!

We had a family cruise scheduled in August 2017 with 6 people scheduled on a Southwest flight on a Friday morning for a Saturday cruise departure.  Flight was cancelled due to weather.  To be fair Southwest wasn't the only airline canceling flights.   They were able to rebook 4 of the 6 on a later flight.  They couldn't get the other 2 on anything until after the cruise would have sailed. We even checked other airports within a 2 hour radius.  I was able to get the other 2 on my flight (Delta) at the cost of $1350 for 2-one way tickets.   We haven't flown Southwest since then.

We LOVE Southwest and would never think of dropping them. Their fares are great, you get 2 FREE checked bags and their flight attendants are fantastic. Never a single problem with them but to each his own.