Aug 7th W-E-W Caribbean Edge Cruise - B3B

Ken the cruiser

On 8/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Just got back from eating lunch at Le Grand Bistro! Wow, what a deal for $20 per person! So from our point of view, here’s our list so far of the Best Buy for the buck.

1. Lunch at Le Grand Bistro ($20 per person)

2. Lunch/Dinner at Raw On 5 (a la carte, but will probably work out to around $20-25 per person)

3. Dinner at Le Petit Chef ($55 pp includes “plate” show and great food plus $15 pp for wine pairing package)

4. Dinner at Fine Cuts ($55 pp with a expanded menu to choose from)

5. Dinner at Eden ($55 pp - good food but minimal choices on menu)

Again, this is just our personal opinion. 😎

Thanks for all the great tips and insight.

I am curious as to why you rated Le Grand Bistro as number 1 of the speciality restaurants.

9 hours ago, Edward51 said:

Thanks for all the great tips and insight.

I am curious as to why you rated Le Grand Bistro as number 1 of the speciality restaurants.

Actually I believe I mentioned for us it was the “Best Buy” for the bucks. As far as the tastiest specialty restaurant that wowed us the most with regards to food and entertainment that would be Le Petit Chef. Now, this is only our opinion, as we otherwise would pick Luminae, and I know everyone has different opinions. That’s just ours. 😎

Went on the 4 hour Best of Cozumel Celebrity tour today and had a great time. We sampled some tequila, which was quite good, visited an organic chocolate factory and then stopped at a place where they had a bee apiary. For the price it was well worth it and had a couple of very informative tour guides! And, of course, I had to take snap shots of some wildlife along the way.

The bottom picture is of a bee hive unique to this area of Latin America which is home to some small stingless bees that produce only a liter of honey per year. But it is quite tasty!😎

3F135BAC-039B-4774-8E02-C71740DE00A0.jpeg

4CEBC8A7-EADB-4116-A76B-CDCF55CD62B5.jpeg

EAD345A4-016B-4F15-84F1-18D6098D902A.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 3

Hey, Ken, I know you are winding down, what a great trip!

Stlll no positive cases onboard? Could they have been handled quietly?

I thought for a long time that sustained transmission among the people that are sailing, even in the tight quarters of a cruise ship, is highly unlikely, maybe impossible unless the vaccine fails completely.

22 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I thought for a long time that sustained transmission among the people that are sailing, even in the tight quarters of a cruise ship, is highly unlikely, maybe impossible unless the vaccine fails completely.

Nope, still no positive cases that we’ve heard about. Just another fun cruise so far with no real drama to report. I must say I’m sure Celebrity is happy about this, especially after they had that embarkation fiasco when trying to give embarkation antigen tests as well as when they had to make the emergency detour on Aug 6th to Grand Turks Island because of the non-COVID medical emergency. 😎

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 5:37 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Looks like the Norwegian Gem is sailing out of Miami again as she joined us this morning in Roatan.

7A92B13C-02A9-4FB5-A7E9-0644A359D222.jpeg

Looks like you’re in a suite. By any chance do you have pictures of the room service menus? Or is it exactly the same as a regular menus. 

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Check out post #114 as I posted them there.

Lol thank you. Good memory. 

Your Roatan excursion looked nice. I’ve had two different once’s canceled there thus far. Leaving next Saturday and opted for a beach and snorkel but I may cancel and rebook yours. 

58 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Lol thank you. Good memory. 

Your Roatan excursion looked nice. I’ve had two different once’s canceled there thus far. Leaving next Saturday and opted for a beach and snorkel but I may cancel and rebook yours. 

Yeah, we’re in our late 60s and riding around in an AC bus, periodically stopping to checkout the wild life, is definitely our go to type of excursion nowadays. 😎

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

It’s going to be though getting use to crowded ships once this is over. Any word on how many passengers for the next cruise?

No, but my guess it will still be around 40%, but that’s just a guess. However, if you wait until the day after embarkation, CS will be more that happy to tell you that figure. 

Hi Ken, Enjoying reading all about your B3B cruises.  It helps to get the perspective on someone actually cruising and their experiences in the days of Covid.

One quick question...we are booked on our first Edge ship next year and are in a Suite.  Since Luminae is now not located close to the other restaurants, are you still able to order off of the Main Dining Room menus?  I understand that the dining rooms now have specific geographic cuisines, but we always enjoyed having the opportunity to order from the Main Dining Room if nothing in Luminae was to our fancy!  

Thanks so much!!

12 minutes ago, luvthebeach703 said:

Ken,

What did the both of you have at le bistro? We loved it and will be going again. Also, does Eden have their breakfast menu posted on the big board? Thanks.

I remember I had the French onion soup,  the mussels and had the fish entree of the day. On the downside my DW was not impressed with the desserts as they didn’t have any good chocolate ones. But can’t complain for $20. 

I posted a picture of Eden’s big board somewhere back around page 5 or so, but I don’t remember a breakfast menu per se. And we just checked the app and they only post their lunch menu. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CruiserFromSC said:

Hi Ken, Enjoying reading all about your B3B cruises.  It helps to get the perspective on someone actually cruising and their experiences in the days of Covid.

One quick question...we are booked on our first Edge ship next year and are in a Suite.  Since Luminae is now not located close to the other restaurants, are you still able to order off of the Main Dining Room menus?  I understand that the dining rooms now have specific geographic cuisines, but we always enjoyed having the opportunity to order from the Main Dining Room if nothing in Luminae was to our fancy!  

Thanks so much!!

Yes, you can order from the MDR menu as I overheard someone asking if they could. They were also advised the meal won’t be very hot when it’s delivered as they have to bring it from the totally opposite end of the ship. For us, we never even thought about ordering from a different menu as the Luminae options they offered were so tasty.

My DW just reminded me our butler when we first arrived offered to make us reservations in one or more of the MDRs. That might be an option if you do a little advanced research on the Luminae menus when you get closer to your cruise. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Yes, you can order from the MDR menu as I overheard someone asking if they could. They were also advised the meal won’t be very hot when it’s delivered as they have to bring it from the totally opposite end of the ship. For us, we never even thought about ordering from a different menu as the Luminae options they offered were so tasty.

My DW just reminded me our butler when we first arrived offered to make us reservations in one or more of the MDRs. That might be an option if you do a little advanced research on the Luminae menus when you get closer to your cruise. 

Thank you so much for your reply. That’s a great option to eat in one of the MDRs just to experience it.  We have a few in our party that are a little picky and some of the options in Luminae have not appealed in the past.  They can always eat a lukewarm meal if they want.  😉

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your cruise!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I was told there are indeed multiple symptomatic cases aboard, but it is just rumor. Not heard through official channels.  We heard they are contact tracing and testing. 

this is a shame because this has been a wonderful sailing and the best service I have received on a cruise ship ever.  Also first time on the Edge so it was been a real treat.  

Edited by beltsbear

Ken

I have said this before, you have been a mountain of information and interaction of experiences! Do you realize you have #421 now #422 post on this thread? 

You have been an outstanding cruise buddy and when we board on Saturday I will “try” to remember all you have shared. 

Enjoy your night and your last full day. 

We are with you being retired and able to cruise or do what ever we want to do! 🤣

Blessings to you and the DW! 

Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1