Question For The Fellow Cruise Geeksters

mikeblum

IF we are booked in a balcony room do we do the sail away from miami up on pool deck with the rest of humanity or in the peace and quiet of my own balcony sipping a bottle of martini and rossi asti with my loving wife of 20 plus yrs...???????!!!!!!!!!

i think it's going to be the balcony...head there right after the fire muster (emergency drill before sailing) and start a week of sun in the paradise...no kids...no phones...no crabby customers...just my sweety and me...and the jewelry stores in st thomas...

Nope, they are all wrong. Enjoy the sailaway on one of the upper decks and enjoy the company of your fellow cruisers. You've been married for 20plus years. You can see your wife anytime and will undoubtedly see her often on the cruise. Get out there and meet some new folks!!!

Depends on what side your balcony is on. The best view in my opinion is the view facing due North as you leave the Port of Miami. The view due South is pretty as you look West, but as the ship continues to exit the port, I think the truly memorable view is that facing North. Due South, you will be looking at the cargo port, huge cargo ship cranes, and the somewhat less interesting Fischer Island.

Of course, once you exit the ship channel, the best view will be looking due West at the Miami and Miami Beach skyline. Not knowing where your balcony is situated, I cannot tell you if you will have full access to the best views.

Depends on the mood you are in time to relax or time to start your party... I've done both. Balcony is great to just take those few mins to sit down and let it sink in yes I'm on vacation and everyone else is in the middle of a snowstorm (hey it was Novemeber and when we got on the plane it had been about 10 degrees and it was lightly snowing and that karma got back at us as we went home in the middle of snow thankfully safe without any delays) On deck you have to get your foo foo drink, grab a good seat (rail area) early, and get ready for the fun. (Is it March yet I want to be back on a ship :D )

The one time I'd pick the balcony everytime is coming back into Miami between 4-6 AM it is so tranquil and pretty. I don't think it would be the same up on deck... I would have to put real clothes on instead of being out in PJs and I think it would ruin it.

Although most replies are opting for the balcony, my limited experience is that very few people were on their balconies when I once had the opportunity to go watch the Radiance and Explorer set sail. But the rails on the sun deck were lined with exurberant people cheering and waving. I can't wait to be in the middle of that party! (38 days to go)

We take in the best of both worlds. We start out on our balcony, then go up for a walk around deck and enjoy the music and party atmosphere, then back to our balcony to let it all sink in. Can’t wait ‘til April = aft cabin! :D

Looking forward to our next cruise . . .

Constellation Oct. ’06 – Western Caribbean

Brilliance of the Seas April ’06 – Panama Canal

Jewel of the Seas Oct. ’05 – Bermuda and Caribbean

Dawn Princess March '05 - Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess '04 (C752 Cabin off back of ship) - Eastern Caribbean

Island Princess '03 - Panama Canal

Star Princess '03 - Mexican Riveria

Grand Princess '02 - Western Caribbean

Enchantment of the Seas '98 - Eastern Caribbean

lots of good feed back...totally forgot that if your on the wrong side of the ship then yop are looking into cargo ships...really depends if the captain does the turn around when coming into port that morning...crago ships aren't my cup of tea either so i would opt for the top deck or the sky lounge...but coming back to miami is a real treat at about 5-5:30 in the morning with the whole skyline lit up and the ship going along at about a creeps pace to not get into port toooo early...very very quiet out on the balcony in my sleepware...little chilly...but still warmer then minneapolis...

Sailaway was so late in San Juan ( at night) that it didn't have the same impact as sailaway during the day. Not to say it wasn't as fun, it was just a different experience. We went to deck 12 first - and then headed down to our balcony to enjoy the rest of it privately :)

This is the first time we've got late dinner, so we can relax after muster, let the kids have a swim and enjoy a drink or two. On deck for us, as we like to mingle and I like to keep an eye on Canucks 3&4....

Now the north view out of Miami...those homes :eek: ....wow!!! I was told a lot of the Miami Vice water scenes were filmed in and around there. Is that true?

Archived