Muster drill question for those who have recently been on Meraviglia.

Heather1972

What’s the muster drill process on Meraviglia right now? Is it just watch a video in my cabin at my leisure and then check in with my muster station? Trying to figure out if the muster drill is during a certain time frame as I have a zoom meeting I should attend at a certain time on embarkation day.

24 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

What’s the muster drill process on Meraviglia right now? Is it just watch a video in my cabin at my leisure and then check in with my muster station? Trying to figure out if the muster drill is during a certain time frame as I have a zoom meeting I should attend at a certain time on embarkation day.

There was a certain time and watched on TV. Than called a number to verify you watched.There is a location on card on back of cabin door. Than you go to visit location. Ours was "J"  for example.

Edited by thepla
add 'j'
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thepla said:

There was a certain time and watched on TV. Than called a number to verify you watched.There is a location on card on back of cabin door. Than you go to visit location. Ours was "J"  for example.

This is exactly correct. I will just add all you do is walk into your location and then walk out. Everyone wears tracking bands so I guess RFID or something lets them know you got there.

As a matter of fact, I saw the last 10 sec of the TV and just called the number.

• Thanks 1

As mentioned, watch the video at a certain time, call the number, then go to your muster station to check in.  If you miss your check in, they have a second time on Day 2 (I think it was 11:00 am) that you just go to the theater to watch the video and check in. 

I had the impression from watching some YouTube vlog posts from recent Meraviglia cruisers that they still had a set time when the horn/alarms sound and everything shuts down for muster (as in the past). At that time, everybody has to go to their muster station to be checked in (as described above). I am a little concerned because my travel companion has mobility issues, and I have read that the elevators shut down and the stairs must be used. My intent was to consult someone when I got on the ship, but maybe you are clearing it up for me. Is there still a mad rush to the muster stations (be it ever so briefly)?        (I understand the part about watching the video and dialing the number from your cabin)

1 minute ago, TnTom said:

I had the impression from watching some YouTube vlog posts from recent Meraviglia cruisers that they still had a set time when the horn/alarms sound and everything shuts down for muster (as in the past). At that time, everybody has to go to their muster station to be checked in (as described above). I am a little concerned because my travel companion has mobility issues, and I have read that the elevators shut down and the stairs must be used. My intent was to consult someone when I got on the ship, but maybe you are clearing it up for me. Is there still a mad rush to the muster stations (be it ever so briefly)?        (I understand the part about watching the video and dialing the number from your cabin)

Yes, the official muster drill occurs at a specific time and everything is shut down.  As far as mobility - we had the same issue - my mom is on a walker and we had 2 in our party who cannot walk down stairs. They did shut the elevators as well - our section guardian was not granted permission to allow us on the elevator. He called down to guest services and instructed us to wait for someone to come up and check us in.  Unfortunately, that never happened . . .  it was the very first (Aug 2nd) cruise and I think the new systems caused them to be a bit overrun.  He called down numerous times and then suddenly the muster drill was over and all the crew were instructed to return to their normal duties.  He stuck it out and did not want to just leave us, but it became apparent that no one was coming.

So, we got "the letter" that we'd missed muster and we were instructed to go the next day.  When we walked into the theater, we explained that we'd attended but could not get to the muster, we told them our location and that we had visited it as well as watched the video and called the specified number, and they checked us off as having attended. 

Having been on MSC with special needs issues in the past, I feel confident that they will have a better process on subsequent sailings.  Like I said, ours was the very first 🙂  Still, might not be a bad idea to let your cabin steward or guest services know prior to the drill if you're able. 

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, tlmaule said:

Yes, the official muster drill occurs at a specific time and everything is shut down.  As far as mobility - we had the same issue - my mom is on a walker and we had 2 in our party who cannot walk down stairs. They did shut the elevators as well - our section guardian was not granted permission to allow us on the elevator. He called down to guest services and instructed us to wait for someone to come up and check us in.  Unfortunately, that never happened . . .  it was the very first (Aug 2nd) cruise and I think the new systems caused them to be a bit overrun.  He called down numerous times and then suddenly the muster drill was over and all the crew were instructed to return to their normal duties.  He stuck it out and did not want to just leave us, but it became apparent that no one was coming.

So, we got "the letter" that we'd missed muster and we were instructed to go the next day.  When we walked into the theater, we explained that we'd attended but could not get to the muster, we told them our location and that we had visited it as well as watched the video and called the specified number, and they checked us off as having attended. 

Having been on MSC with special needs issues in the past, I feel confident that they will have a better process on subsequent sailings.  Like I said, ours was the very first 🙂  Still, might not be a bad idea to let your cabin steward or guest services know prior to the drill if you're able. 

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Thank you! In the past, I have been known to find a watering hole somewhere on the same level as my muster station and park there at least 30 minutes before the drill. That way elevators can be used and stairs aren't involved.

However it works out, it is just a speed bump on the way to a fantastic week!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TnTom said:

In the past, I have been known to find a watering hole somewhere on the same level as my muster station and park there at least 30 minutes before the drill.

You are a wise cruiser!  And, the stampede after the drill is over, a similar plan would be a good idea as well.  

• Like 1

I was on the first back Aug 2nd sailing for Meraviglia. I believe the "Muster Drill" was at around 5:30pm. You watch a brief video in your cabin. 

Then you enter a 3-digit code on your cabin phone. 

Then you must take the stairs (no elevators) to your muster station just so they can swipe your cruise card to verify you completed the drill. But you can take the elevators on your return. 

On my sailing, there was a lot of late arrivals and sail-away was even pushed back to around 9:15; so therefore they had a 2nd Muster Drill the next day for those that missed. 

But best Muster Drill ever.