What am I missing? Just checking before I make a final payment…

Evilmuffin

Good morning all.    I am booked on a B2B trip on the Eurodam, 5 - 15 Dec and then 15 - 22 Dec.   The first cruise was a rebooking in Feb from a cancellation of a Dec 2020 cruise.   About two months ago, I decided to book the 2nd cruise.   The final payment dates are 6 Sep and 12 Sep.   I have already made the final payment for the first cruise and am about to make the final payment for the second cruise.   In the past few months, i have been reading many discussions regarding issues like medical coverage,  travel cancellation/interruption coverage, etc in both the case of COVID and of a separate medical issue.   I am Canadian and it is very apparent that getting medical coverage for COVID is difficult if possible and forget about travel cancellation/interruption as a result of COVID.   From my understanding, the coverages can be obtained for issues not related to COVID.   Since Holland Amercia has a special program in place for cruises that sail before 31 Dec 2021, insurance for  COVID medical or travel interruption is not required.   (Keeping in mind that I would still be advised to obtain medical insurance, etc for other medical issues).   Also, one can cancel up to 30 days prior and receive 100% refund in FCC, and after 30 days, it applies if it is related to COVID.  Or if one wants a $ refund, you have to purchase one of their plans (Standard or Platinum).   I am trying to figure out if there is any downside to this and what issues could be the reason to cancel.     If anything, given the Worry Free Promise and COVID Protection Program being provided, I would think this would be the best opportunity.  Especially since getting COVID medical and travel interruption insurance is difficult if not impossible for those coming from Canada.   I am trying to figure out a scenario that could possibly arise that I am not preparing for.   FCC vs $ refund is not an issue, I will just use it later.    If required to quarantine in the hotel for any period of time and HAL is providing, it’s definitely not an issue.    My HAL PCC has confirmed that HAL will provide the necessary PCR test for my return to Canada.    

If my cruise was after 31 December, I would be certainly considering cancelling if the same program is not available.  

So, am I missing anything that should be considered that isn’t with the HAL programs for cruises prior to 31 Dec?   

Here is the site for the Standard and premium cancellation plans.  You don't need a reason.  Just cancel 24 hours before departure and up to departure time for the premium.  We always get the standard because who knows what might occur just before whatever happens that might require cancellation.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan.html.  They have to be purchased by the time final payment is due, I believe.

10 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Strongly recommend that you consider HAL CPP Platinum under the  current circumstances. You must select prior to final payment deadline.

Perhaps for cancellation coverage but not medical. 

@KirkNC  @NavArch64

if it was after 31 dec, I would agree.   For the cancellation coverage reason only as I would still have to get separate medical coverage as $10,000 under the Platinum plan is nothing.    

However, the only difference if I get either the Standard Plan or Platinum plan, I would get a $ refund vice a FCC as a refund.   They are asking approx $982 for the Standard plan and $1500 for the Platinum Plan for the first cruise.   They are asking $498 for the Standard plan and $686 for the Platinum Plan for the 2nd cruise.   

Under their Flexible Cancellation program for cruises up to 31 Dec, I can cancel for any reason before 30 days prior to embarkation and receive 100% FCC.   After 30 days prior, it would be 100% FCC if because of 

COVID.  I don’t care if it is FCC.   Otherwise, I’ll take the $, spend it on something else, and then still want to cruise later.   The only way I plan not to go is if it is COVID related.   It will be the last 30 days only that would be an issue if it was something other than COVID.   I’m 56 and relatively healthy so it is worth the $1500?   Hard decision.   I have until the 6th for the first cruise, and 12th for the 2nd.

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You must be in a Neptune suite for the insurance to be that high or your cruise is very expensive.  I think mine was around $6 or $7 hundred for a two week cruise and my cruise was pricy.  I definitely want money instead of a fcc.

Pinnacle Suite for the 10 day, and Neptune Suite for the 7 day.   I am on the waiting list in case whoever is going into the PS after me, cancels.   

• Like 2