Flash...RSSC goes all inclusive

NHcruisers

Sorry all:

It looks like I jumped the gun a bit with my angst about Radisson fares. I think I know why the '07 fares looked so high to me. My last "non-Paul Gauguin" Radisson cruise was actually in '04. Though we did go on the PG in '05, we have not booked anything on Radisson for '06. So when I saw the '07 fares, my immideate point of reference was the '04 Voyager cruise and the '05 Paul Gauguin cruise. Clearly not a fair "apples to apples" comparisson and view of the matter! Principally, my mind immediately turned to our most recent cruise on the Paul Gauguin -- compared to which "sticker shock" at the '07 fares on the other ships is understandable. But again, not a fair comparisson. Two years difference. And, for reasons unknown, the PG has carried a lower per diem than Radisson's other ships for the past few years.

And to all in Raedisson's management, I appologize for my comments. Actually, it appears that the actual "apples to apples" '06 to '07 fare increases ARE just about the right amount to account for the lost revenues from open bar, the "roll in" of the fuel surcharge, and reasonable inflation. I hope management will understand that much of my angst was due to the fact that the '07 fares (however justified) are very near to my maximum price point. In other words, I am on the verge of being priced out of the Radisson market. And I wouldn't care if I didn't truly like cruising on this line.

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks Richard.

A lot of times we see comments and when they find out they gave wrong information they just stop posting.

Yes, and we just saw that happen right here in this thread! :D

Richard, I'm glad that you went back and took another look at the prices. And I really respect you for coming back in here to post your revised opinion!

I know what you mean about Radisson coming close to our max price point. That's pretty much where I'm at too -- which is one of the reasons I have yet to cruise Silverseas or Seabourn, because I haven't yet found one of their cruises that fits the bill. Unfortunately I can't take the Radisson cruises that I would REALLY like to take (I would kill to be on that Capt. Dag 50th b-day Norway cruise) but there are enough itineraries elsewhere in 07 that I can afford. And of course I have my upcoming 18-day Mariner cruise in 06. I just WISH they would move going all-inclusive up by one month, so we could enjoy it on this cruise!

LeeAnne

Richard, I never felt that you owed an apology to anyone. You were only expressing your opinion based on what you perceived as the facts and never have you "flamed" anyone. Oh boy, have I disagreed with you from time to time! When we plan our own cruises, if we are smart (as everyone on here is) we "sharpen our pencils" so to speak and get down to what it is going to cost US for a particular cruise. So you certainly do not have any "responsibility" for this as we go about that task.

For singles, it may be one hugely different price between lines (thus the importance of looking at single supps if booking)

You and I have had our share of disagreements and agreements on the boards over several years. There is always one thing that is constant in your threads, and that is never having an agenda for one cruise line or another. You are just a passenger like me. You are also graced with humility, a quality that is totally lacking today when people are in conflict! Worry not, your advice and experience on this board will far outlive a couple of days of "sticker shock" that you had not experienced on a regular RSSC for a couple of years!

I think sticking to the FACTS has made this thread quiet! ;) And Richard, ditto what JHP said -- no apologies necessary -- you are always a gracious poster, passionate about cruising, and I've learned a lot from you. :)

Aloha Richard!

Just as we posted over a month ago just how much "we have valued your posts over the year, we find your post today very special. You didn't make any major mistake and we were not upset with you. We simply felt that the "flames were being fanned" by others with faulty data.

The truth is that we have made just about every mistake there is to make and seldom have we had the "statesmanship" to admit it unlike you Sir. For that; we commend you.

Since the adult beverages soon will be all compted on RSSC voyages (thanks to you in part), we would like to buy you and Ruth a cocktail on a future '07 cruise! LOL!

Richard,

Please, no apologies are necessary. As I said in another post I would never in a million years blame you for anything real or perceived that Radisson did regarding their pricing.

Thank you for clarifying your analysis. I look forward to your posts and I wish you happy cruises!

jhp and all:

I do realize that, for the single cruiser, the "math" is quite different than those of us who cruise with double occupancy. Different lines have far different "single supplements", and that can make all the difference in the world.

I recall a strange experience regarding single supplement on Radisson. In July, '03, we cruised the Diamond/Caribbean on that particular cruise when it was both open bar and "kids sail free". It so happened that one of our daughters who is single, and a nephew of mine who is single, also wanted to go --- in separate suites, of course. To get the SSS discount, and the Amex Platinum credit for them, we charged all suites on our AMEX. When I got the final bill, there was NO single supplement for the daughter or the nephew! My TA advised I keep my head down and moutn shut, so I did. But it certainly made a big difference, sompared with what we had planned for.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard, around that time, I took a cruise with my then 19 yr. old daughter on the Diamond, and there were cruises that had a $99 single supplement! I took advantage, and booked us 2 suites side by side! Best time she ever had! We got the extra Amex reward of two single credits of $225 each, rather than one cabin credit of $300. I think having two cabins set me back about $40. Best idea I ever had! She could be messy in the cabin, and I could get up in the a.m. without bothering her! We would lean over the balcony each morning with our room service breakfasts and say hello! Maybe you got that, and never noticed the little extra it cost you!

Editing to say that we were not on one of those "kids sail free/open bar" cruises. I will never forget the reports from those cruises! Perhaps you were on one of the bad ones and they just didn't bother with the ss!

Archived