Flash...RSSC goes all inclusive

NHcruisers

lmao.

and leeanne, seems to me if you can't distinguish between sevruga and oestra, then you couldn't possibly have an educated palette. ;) :rolleyes:

Hasn't that already been established? Heck, I can't even tell REAL food from FAKE food! Although I must admit, I once tried to eat a grape from a display in a hotel lobby, and the darn thing did taste a bit like rubber. Then there was that time I ate a tail...I think it was white, but maybe it was black...oh never mind. :D

LeeAnne

Forgive me for changing the subject, but, I got tired of waiting for the winner of the caviar battle to be determined, and decided to butt in with a comment about all inclusive cruising I haven't heard expressed. We often cruise with other couples, or meet other couples on board, and it is wonderful to have no awkward battles over the check when ordering a drink. We all know a guy who tries to pick up every check, and one who avoids it at all costs. Having everything included completely solves the problem. And, I am sure we drink no more on an all inclusive cruise than we do on a pay as you go cruise, which I would guess is true for many of the posters here, none of whom finish off the free bottles in their room just because they are free. So, being all inclusive will be a definite plus in our decision on what line to cruise next.

LOL! Merryecho, I hate caviar, so that's one battle I won't be fighting! I'd rather argue the more objective issues! Your reasons for preferring all-inclusive I have heard many times, right up there with the aggravation of signing chits every time you have a drink whether or not with friends. RSSC has taken a big risk with this changeover. The other side of the argument is that non-drinkers sometimes feel like they are subsidizing the others. I for one subsidize the people who go to shows every night and eat 5 course meals!

"The other side of the argument is that non-drinkers sometimes feel like they are subsidizing the others. I for one subsidize the people who go to shows every night and eat 5 course meals!"

SO true JHP! I had never thought of that. We never go to shows, and like to eat light. And I agree, the constant battles over caviar on the luxury line boards goes right over my head. I will never forget the day Silver Sea suprised us with a huge plate of complimentary caviar, delivered to our room in the afternoon. But that afternoon we were off the ship until just before sailing, so returned to a big pile of warm, melting fish eggs that was beginning to smell enough to put me off caviar forever. What a waste!

Good afternoon everyone,

A quick reminder... PLEASE lets stay "on-topic" with this thread. Please no flames, off-topic posts, name calling etc. I know that none of you like threads pulled, and personally I don't like pulling them. There is only so much time in the day to "clean up" threads. I think this is a VERY interesting topic, so please. lets play nice. :rolleyes:

Host Dan

Merryecho, let me know the next time you are cruising, so I can follow you around and eat the caviar you leave behind before it goes to waste. :D :D :D

Oops...back to talking about our favorite subject--- FREE BOOZE!

I wanted to register my wholehearted agreement with the concept that not having to sign chits for drinks removes that potential moment of discomfort when the bill arrives. One possible downside to AI, tho...it eliminates one entire avenue for romantic flirting, as men can no longer buy a drink for a lady!

LeeAnne

To try to return to shedding light, instead of the heat I generated a couple of days ago:D , let me remind all that some mass rarket lines are set up so that DRINKERS are actually subsidizing NON-DRINKERS. It's no secret that many "ala carte" lines set their fares below the "break even" point, and then make it up and make a profit on other "profit centers" including (but not limited to) the bar.

Thanks,

Richard

I think the point is that RSSC is MORE expensive than any other cruise

Okay trying again here with no commentary:

7 day Baltics cruise lowest verandah on each

Silver Sea $6,115-6,835 (no air included)

Voyager $5,546 INCLUDING FREE AIR

Alaska- Silversea not even going there in 2007

Norway - 14 nights on each (each line does one cruise)

Silversea $12,076 (no air included)

Voyager $8,997 FREE AIR INCLUDED

British Isles 10 nights on each (each line does one cruise)

Silversea $9,715 (no air included)

Voyager $7,345 FREE AIR INCLUDED

Mediterranean

7day Silver Cloud Aug 9-16 $5,996 Early Booking Veranda Suite

7day Navigator June 2-9 $4546 Early booking with Free Air Credit to neutralize no air on Silversea

JHP, thanks for that! I think it is VERY important in this thread to discuss what, if anything, we think the new AI is going to cost us, in terms of fare changes. Clearly Radisson has increased some fares, but for anyone (especially someone in the industry, such as...say...a TA) to come on here and claim that Radisson is now more expensive than the other luxury lines, and in fact is the the most expensive cruise line of ALL, is misleading to the many CC members who are reading this. Many cruisers haven't yet cruised RSSC and may be considering them, so it's important for them to see some FACTS that disprove that Radisson is the "most expensive cruise".

My personal opinion is that AI has had little if anything to do with the fare increases that we have seen. Remember, there is this whole rebranding that is currently going on, including the name change, going to AI, etc. It's not unusual at all for rebranding to result in price changes. But the good news is that I am still seeing Radisson cruises that, while they might be a little higher than in the past, are still well within the affordable range, and are NOT higher than the other luxury lines. Yet I'll be getting a similar product...even closer now that they're going AI. Yay!

LeeAnne

I must agree with jhp. I just compared a SS and RSSC Venice to Istanbul cruise for 2007, including the single supplement.

Silverseas - $15,800 - plus air.

RSSC - $7764 - free air.

No question about which line to sail with these prices.

JHP and Betty,

Thank you for taking the time to post REAL numbers as IMO the numbers tell the tale. It is very easy to espouse generalizations with no back up so thanks for debunking those.

In my case unfortunately I can only travel in the summer months, which for the cruise industry is peak season so 2007 prices are at this point out of reach for me. But I'm hopeful that down the line we will see some isolated specials especially on Navigator which will make them more palatable.

I have the complete schedule and pricing and, it may be all inclusive, but you/we are going to be paying for it BIG TIME.

I need to do a bit more work on this, but it seems like the prices are higher than Seabourn and Silversea.

[and]...What I do know is that RSSC is now priced at the very top of the market.

[and]...I think the point is that RSSC is MORE expensive than any other cruise line

Yes, I too am happy to see these misstatements disproved with the facts! Thanks so much for all your work! :) It's always better to move forward with our cruise decisions armed with truth, rather than misinformation. Now that I know that Radisson is not in fact the most expensive cruise line, I'll go ahead and start planning for my '07 cruise itinerary, knowing that I'm still getting a great cruise vacation for a competitive price. (I wish they were cheaper, but then, I wish that Ferrari I've been eyeing was cheaper as well!)

LeeAnne

Betty, thanks for pointing out the differing single supplements. On RSSC, they seem to be across the board 40% which was upsetting to me that they raised the prices as well as the ss, except for being lower on crossings 10% (perhaps other cruises, I haven't seen them)

On Silversea, they vary somewhat, for example, on the comparisons I made above:

Med MC to Barcelona 100% ssupp.

Norway 75%

Baltics 50%

British Isles 50%

So for a single passenger, these supplements really need to be compared as they seriously affect the bottom line.

I'd be curious what the thought process is behind having the single supplements so low on the crossings? Granted the cruise fare itself is lower because they are less desireable itineraries, but I'm just curious why the ss is so significantly lower.

LeeAnne

Because there is less demand for them! For the November combo, when combining a week cruising the Med (40% for just that itin.) and then doing the crossing as well, the "package" rate for both has a 25% ss. Very good per diems, compared to many other cruises.

Yeah, I guess now that I think about it, a crossing by oneself, with so many sea days, isn't nearly as desirable as a cruise with ports where one can fill the days with excursions, etc.

I'm seriously considering that cruise -- either the crossing itself, or maybe both (although it's almost identical to the cruise we did last year).

LeeAnne

LOL! Merryecho, I hate caviar, so that's one battle I won't be fighting! I'd rather argue the more objective issues! Your reasons for preferring all-inclusive I have heard many times, right up there with the aggravation of signing chits every time you have a drink whether or not with friends. RSSC has taken a big risk with this changeover. The other side of the argument is that non-drinkers sometimes feel like they are subsidizing the others. I for one subsidize the people who go to shows every night and eat 5 course meals!
and that's exactly the point. I might be subsidizing the drinkers (my drinking is confined to a glass of wine with dinner, which was already included) but I LOVE caviar.

I haven't seen any flames in here. I've seen an interesting discussion about Radisson going AI, and how we believe this might affect us, either via cost, or other impacts (both pro, such as eliminating having to sign chits, and con, such as eliminating an avenue of flirtation!) The only flame I ever saw in this thread had to do with someone snidely questioning my ability to detect fake foods from real, but that was wisely removed! :)

There have been lots of us doing price comparisons, here and elsewhere, and nobody else seems to be coming up with the same numbers as you. Perhaps you're getting your information from some secret source we don't have access to? ;) Do share!

Oh, and I would also suggest that perhaps there's a misunderstanding of the term "flame". As I understand it, disagreeing with someone, or pointing out that their information is inaccurate or incorrect, is not a flame. I realize that nobody likes to be disagreed with, and most like being proved wrong even less, but most of us are interested in facts here, as it pertains to pricing. And of course a discussion about pricing should be based on accurate math.

LeeAnne

Going back to the original concept of all inclusive alcohol and pricing:

I compared my Monte Carlo to Dover cruise 2006 upcoming with the exact cruse, brochure price, and it was only different by $300. - not much change. And in 2006 there is a fuel surcharge - in 2007 the fuel charge was included. So I do not see a difference in real cost. and 2006 is not AI.

I hope TerryandElizabeth can contact me off board - my email address is in my profile.

I must agree with jhp. I just compared a SS and RSSC Venice to Istanbul cruise for 2007, including the single supplement.

Silverseas - $15,800 - plus air.

RSSC - $7764 - free air.

No question about which line to sail with these prices.

I may well not be seeing the wood for the trees,but in Silversea's 2007 programme I do not see a Venice to Istanbul cruise listed.

There are 9,and 10,night cruises listed for Istanbul to Venice,but even with the single supplement I do not match the quoted cost.

More details would be appreciated.

Thanks.

English Voyager

I stand corrected in that Silverseas is offering a 2007 Venice to Istanbul. You are correct. It is Istanbul to Venice.

Their cruise leaving Istanbul on July 20, 2007, in the cheapest room with a balcony is priced at $7,871. I did choose a level with a balcony since this automatically comes with a RSSC Voyager cabin. Adding a 100% single supplement you are once again correct. It is not $15,800. It is $15,742. If I had added in Port charges and Handling Fees of $275 per person, the total would be $16,017.

I am truly sorry if I mislead you or anyone else.

Archived