Passport needed to reboard ship?

Only requirement would be your sail and sign card and your license. Never take your passport off the ship. That goes in the safe and stays there until your cruise is over.

Tropical 9/91

Ecstasy 9/93

Monarch 9/95

Sensation 9/96

Grandeur 9/97

Inspiration 9/98

Enchantment 9/99

Grandeur 9/00

Explorer 3/01

Grand 9/01.........Review!!

Victory 9/02........Review!!

Navigator 3/03....Review!!

Adventure 9/03....Review!!

Voyager 9/04

Email....Cruisinfanatic@AOL.COM

But if you read your passport closely it does state to make 2 copies of the passport ID page (1 for family) and the other to carry it with you in a place seperate from your passport.

I personally carry a color photo Copy with me when I travel abroad or on cruise ships (keeping the original locked in the safe in stateroom) and take it with me when I get off ship in a foreign port of call just in case. icon_cool.gif

But the above poster is correct that your Sail and Sign Card (and sometimes a photo ID) will be all that you need to debark end embark the ship.

Curtis..... waiting patiently for my ship to come in !!!

In order to board the ship at the beginning of the cruise they would have had to have proper identification i.e. Passport, or birth certificate and gov't. issued photo ID.

This is probably a silly question but if you put your passport in the safe and don't use it the whole cruise then what is the purpose of having one? I just applied for mine today and it cost me and my hubby $200. Was this just a waste of money? icon_frown.gif

Nancy

sailing Conquest 6/27/04

The topic of PASSPORT has been beat to death.... it is merely showing proof of citienship and sure is easier than having to carry birth certificates, marriage liscenses (that is a whole othe issue !), etc.... Passports just make life alot easier and for the minimal costs when you consider the length of time it is valid for, well worth the money for less stress and ease when boarding a ship or travelling abroad !

IF you miss the ship in some ports (like Mexico) you will want to have your passport with you. I have gotten bad about that and usually carry a recently expired passport and leave the current one in the safe in my cabin.

catwalk4.gif

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

catwalk3.gif

Actually - the ONLY thing Carnival requires for you to re-board the ship is your Sign & Sail card. As stated in the Welcome Aboard Brochure you receive with your docs, your S&S card IS your boarding pass from ports-of-call.

If you feel you need your photo ID, or copy of passport, etc., then take it with you. No biggie.

Curtis ~ Nancy is a newbie. She's just asking a question, so it doesn't matter HOW many times the question has been asked...and frankly, I haven't seen it beat to death here on the Carnival board. Maybe you've been on the other boards?

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Yo-

CAREFUL about that Carnival S&S ID only-

It's the local police or Federal folks outside the terminal that require the two ID's (drivers license and S&S card)to get into the terminal- then you only need the S&S card to actually board the ship - when you are just inside the door at the top of the gangplank-

This seems to be universal in USA - Canada and Mexico

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Fairsea'86-Mexican Riviera

Stardancer'88-Mexican Riviera

Crown Odyssey'00-E. Med

Dream'01-W. Med

Sky'01-Hawaii

Regal'02-Alaska

Norway'02-E. Carib

Norway'03-E. Carib

Elation'03-Panama Canal

Crown'04-Canada/East Coast

Norway "Royal Suite" 07/04/04-CANCELLED!!

Carnival "Spirit" 12/11/2004 Mexican Riviera

"We have never had a BAD cruise - some were just BETTER than others"

In response to Cottons' post... Nancy I sure did not mean to sound negative towards your question as there is never a silly question and please accept my apologies if it was taken the wrong way. But Cotton....Big Mike is correct in that the local authorities in MANY PORTS do require that you have a photo ID with you along with your Sail and Sign Card to pass thru their security (at least when I have visited these ports of call in the past 6 months) i.e. St. Maarten, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Casa De Campo.

Best Bet is to bring that Photo ID along with you regardless if the cruiseline advises/requires it or not. It can also come in handy when shopping if paying with travelers checks or even credit cards as many stores ask for photo ID, and that Sail and Sign Card just ain't gonna cut it Cotton !

Curtis...

Waiting patiently for MY ship to come in !!!

Curtis, oopsy. I DO recall having a MX guard (with gun! icon_eek.gif) ask for my ID when entering Cozumel. Thx for correcting me.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

icon_biggrin.gifIf he hadn't had that big broad smile on his face, I'd have been scared of that little dude!

Oh, and I will also make a copy of my passport to take ashore next cruise.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cruisinfanatic:

Never take your passport off the ship. That goes in the safe and stays there until your cruise is over.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then what's the point of having one? A Passport is for identification of self and citizinship (obviously). Does anyone really believe that "foreign" authorities really know what they are looking at when looking at a drivers license?

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Just went to Cozumel in march,had a 14 year old with me (my daughter),we had no passports just id hers was state issued that you get instead of license carried this off along with sail & sign cards were never asked for anything other than that except when leaving the shopping area they demanded to see reciepts for everything in the bags guess shoplifters are there too????

About taking the passport off the ship into ports with you, I think the answer is that we really should do this. After all, it is the proof of citizenship should you miss the boat, have an accident, be detained for any reason, etc. BUT since most of us spend our time in Caribbean ports sightseeing and swimming/snorkeling, we really don't want to run the risk of losing them, so we choose to leave them. It's sort of a calculated decision, that the risk of losing them ourweighs the risk that something bad will happen. At some point we may have to take them if the various Caribbean islands begin to require them for entry - there was quite a lot of discussion Barbados doing this, but apparently they are still waiving the requirement for cruise passengers.

you are told NOT to bring them off the ship. Its the first thing that comes out of the cruise directors mouth. If you lose it on an island you are screwed. You will not get back into the country easily after your cruise. It goes in the safe.

Tropical 9/91

Ecstasy 9/93

Monarch 9/95

Sensation 9/96

Grandeur 9/97

Inspiration 9/98

Enchantment 9/99

Grandeur 9/00

Explorer 3/01

Grand 9/01.........Review!!

Victory 9/02........Review!!

Navigator 3/03....Review!!

Adventure 9/03....Review!!

Voyager 9/04

Email....Cruisinfanatic@AOL.COM

Let me get this straight. I lock my passport in the safe on the ship, go ashore on my non ship booked tour. The tour bus breaks down way out in the boonies. Ship sails away without me. I'm not allowed to leave the country because I do not have a passport. I go the the American embassy to get a passport and am told it will take 3 to 7 days to get a temporary one. So I need all the names and addresses of those advising me to leave my passport on the ship so that I can sue them to pay for my expensives in the islands while waiting for a passport. Hmm did I get that right.

Archived