First Cruise Ever - Queens Grill Questions

SouthWestBoy

On 1/24/2022 at 8:20 AM, I Fly said:

Thanks so much for your help.  I have another question related to dress.

We are taking a 13-night “Trans-Atlantic” from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona, so not the typical QM2 Trans-Atlantic.  It might be better called a repositioning cruise.  I understand the difference between Gala nights and the other nights that are more “casual” Cunard style.  Formal nights are pretty self explanatory, the informal nights are where I have a question.  I’m assuming in the QG, people may be dressier, and I’m certainly fine with that.  If dressing up were a problem, why would I sail on Cunard?  How dressy are the non-gala nights?  How many gala nights should we expect on our 13-night cruise?  It’s August and traveling from Florida to Barcelona.  Do they still do theme nights?  I guess I just want to get a feeling of what to expect from people who have sailed before on Cunard.  

Thanks again in advance.

I'm on that cruise (starting from SF)  but steerage not QG.  One thing you may want  to consider that the vast majority of people on that cruise will have to fly at one end or both. Regardless of which class they are on the cruise - men's clothing is bulky and  heavy - when restricted by  airline luggage limits.  My partner may bring a jacket for casual nights (on top of a suite for galas) - but it may not make the final cut when we are actually packing. Its a low priority as part of a much longer trip. 

Ah, how I remember posting the same questions as you have prior to our first QG experience.  It seems years ago, as does our most recent QG experience because of all this pandemic stuff.

From first to last, we've enjoyed every voyage, including a couple of upgrades to a Q1 which, sadly, crippled any chance of us ever going back to very smallest, most bijou accomodation.  But I can offer a few thoughts about what you have in front of you.

1. QG continues to evolve and as far as the old timers are concerned, will never be as good as the old days. Ignore this nonsense.  Even if caviar isn't as easy to get hold of as when it was served in a coal scuttle, the dining experience is still good.
  2. Yes, you can get almost anything in the restaurant.  There's an apocryphal story of someone asking for grilled elephant ears and the maitre d'hotel replied, "would that be African or Asian variety sir?"
  3. A good idea is to forego the captain's party (which on any ship at sea, isn't as spell binding as it sounds) and head to QG early that evening.  Normally, a-la-carte is suspended in the expectation of a hoard of people crashing in all at once, but if you beat the rush and especialy if you warn them in advance,  the wait staff and kitchen will be overjoyed to rustle up something special for you.
  4. Ask your head waiter and maitre d'hotel for suggestions and keep your eye on what fellow diners order.  There are some excellent off-menu items regularly made, especially the table side cooked dishes.
  5. When it comes to tips, you can be parsimonious or go full American overkill, it's up to you.  But send a little into the kitchen on your last night, you'd be surprised how appreciated it is.
  6. Baked Alaska.  Ask for a big one for two to share, not the little one served with cherries  Jubilee.  You won't eat it all but I guarantee the remainder will end up on a nearby table and you'll make at least two new friends.
  7. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Chunky2219 said:

From first to last, we've enjoyed every voyage, including a couple of upgrades to a Q1 which, sadly, crippled any chance of us ever going back to very smallest, most bijou accommodation.  But I can offer a few thoughts about what you have in front of you.

Thanks for your thoughts Chunky and I largely agree with you. I have found the PG accommodations to be something of the 'sweet' spot in terms of price, value, experience, etc. A lot has to do with expectations current and past. As the market evolves (like all markets evolve) the experience will shift to meet the middle. (Although I have no doubt some corners might be cut here and there). 

1. I was on the QE2 and for a partial of the World Cruise. It is hard to compare the QM2/E/V to that experience. It was 2007 and while the sale to Istithmar had not yet been announced, everyone knew the ship was on borrowed time and the end was near. It very much seemed like a nostalgia tour since the QM2 was slowly but surely supplanting the QE2 on the major routes. With that being said, it is what it is and you have to frame the experience in the here and now and what is in front of you. The QM2 is a wonderful ship and have never been truly disappointed in our experience even in the cheap seats. 

2. Perhaps it is a generational thing IDK but I never cared much for caviar nor do I necessarily equate eating it with any level of standard. I am not much of a seafood person broadly so posh plates of fish are less of an interest. I am not all that fussy of an eater overall. What sets apart the Grills for me is the level of service, the open seating plan, the physical set up of the restaurant (including the place settings), the ability to order custom meals, and getting to know the staff. Most of my meal requests have been easy to accommodate (both in cost and preparation) so the staff has always been wonderful to see it through. 

5. We tip the front life staff well including the maitre'd because especially in the Grills you will likely see these people again if you cruise regularly and it is worth an automatic extra when your recognize as a repeat. No need to be overkill but appropriate. I always remember to fill out the comment cards that are found in the cabins. I once left my business card in the envelope with the cash tip (always in USD in cash in person) with the maitre'd and he eventually replied several weeks later. 

6. I did Baked Alaska once and that was enough. It is not a bad dessert and it is cheeky to see the presentation once but thats it. If we want to enjoy a tableside dessert we usually go for Bananas Foster and maybe spiked with a little rum. 

I am not looking for perfection because 80% of it is going to be your level of expectation and attitude when it comes to the experience anyways. I focus on the bigger picture and that usually wins out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, mklions said:

We are sailing the QE on 6th Jan and it will be our first time in the Queen’s Grill. 
I have read that if available in the QG you can order ( if available) almost any food you like.

I’m particularly fond of mussels and wondered if they have been requested previously?

Also on the subject of a stocked bar, will it get replenished every day or is it a one time only situation.

My wife will drink gin and fever tree tonic (if available)  but me I don’t do spirits and prefer cider and ales, and the odd glass of red wine.

Will this be available or will we need to stick to a basic drinks menu.

Really looking forward to the QG experience, any other tips and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

kind regards,

mklions 

In a QE suite you are offered a 2 bottles of spirits or wine for consumption in your suite. Once the bottle is finished it will replaced with another of the same or something else of your choosing. 

I have to agree with a lot of other posters that sailing in the grills will spoil you for life. While I find sailing in Britannia class to be perfectly fine, it is a bit hit and miss when it comes to dining companions. However, I have always had a pleasurable dining experience in the grills not least because of the amazing food but also interesting and genuinely good natured company.

The mini bar in a Queens grill Accommodation has always been replenished when consumed, at least in all the times I have been in that category. Agree with others is that some butlers are better than others, but if you get a good one who enjoys entertaining as much as you do and who is proactive in their job then the voyage is made all the more special. For example, hosting a little get together for new friends made on board is a real perk of being in the Queens grill. For formal nights, having a butler can be hugely helpful when fixing a bow tie or securing cufflinks.

While the regular Queens Grill menu is incredible, I would always recommend ordering off menu at least once on your voyage. That said the minute that you have to think about ordering off menu it becomes incredibly difficult to decide what to order! But once you decide what to order, just mention it to the white staff at breakfast or lunch the day that you are wanting it for dinner and that night guaranteed it will appear on your plate, potentially after the white staff reconfirm your order and check any particulars about the way the dish should be made.

Perhaps the best part of sailing in the Queens Grill is the attention to detail, most notably in the restaurant. I am always amazed at the little things the white staff seem to get very quickly, usually after the first night. For example, how you like your coffee or if you prefer not to have bread with your meal or if you like ice cream with pancakes for breakfast! I remember one voyage where I had a craving for pancakes with maple syrup and vanilla ice cream. Well the white staff certainly found this somewhat unusual, they happily obliged. Later in the voyage I ordered pancakes again and even though it had been at least a week in addition to the pancakes and syrup out came a small bowl with two scoops of vanilla ice cream. I really only wanted one scoop but I took both because I would obviously have felt truly terrible since they had gone to the effort to acquire two scoops.

One warning, however. It is all too easy to gain weight when sailing in the Queens grill because the food is so first class and there is plenty of it.

4 hours ago, Austcruiser84 said:

I have to agree with a lot of other posters that sailing in the grills will spoil you for life. While I find sailing in Britannia class to be perfectly fine, it is a bit hit and miss when it comes to dining companions. However, I have always had a pleasurable dining experience in the grills not least because of the amazing food but also interesting and genuinely good natured company.

The mini bar in a Queens grill Accommodation has always been replenished when consumed, at least in all the times I have been in that category. Agree with others is that some butlers are better than others, but if you get a good one who enjoys entertaining as much as you do and who is proactive in their job then the voyage is made all the more special. For example, hosting a little get together for new friends made on board is a real perk of being in the Queens grill. For formal nights, having a butler can be hugely helpful when fixing a bow tie or securing cufflinks.

While the regular Queens Grill menu is incredible, I would always recommend ordering off menu at least once on your voyage. That said the minute that you have to think about ordering off menu it becomes incredibly difficult to decide what to order! But once you decide what to order, just mention it to the white staff at breakfast or lunch the day that you are wanting it for dinner and that night guaranteed it will appear on your plate, potentially after the white staff reconfirm your order and check any particulars about the way the dish should be made.

Perhaps the best part of sailing in the Queens Grill is the attention to detail, most notably in the restaurant. I am always amazed at the little things the white staff seem to get very quickly, usually after the first night. For example, how you like your coffee or if you prefer not to have bread with your meal or if you like ice cream with pancakes for breakfast! I remember one voyage where I had a craving for pancakes with maple syrup and vanilla ice cream. Well the white staff certainly found this somewhat unusual, they happily obliged. Later in the voyage I ordered pancakes again and even though it had been at least a week in addition to the pancakes and syrup out came a small bowl with two scoops of vanilla ice cream. I really only wanted one scoop but I took both because I would obviously have felt truly terrible since they had gone to the effort to acquire two scoops.

One warning, however. It is all too easy to gain weight when sailing in the Queens grill because the food is so first class and there is plenty of it.

Sorry but what are "white staff" if you mean waiters why dont you just say waiters.