On board protocols at ports

watsonbeau

Not sure if already done but can’t find anything.

Appreciate ports have different rules re testing to disembark, excursions, independent trips etc.

However what is the protocol when you reboard the ship ? Are you tested before being allowed back, tested later on or what ? Do they do random tests on passengers onboard during the cruise ?

Can’t find anything on P&O site but it’s not always easy to find or I’ve missed it.

Any thoughts ? Apologies if already asked, if so please point me in the right direction. Thank you 

Edited by watsonbeau

I have been wondering this as well. If you go ashore on an excursion for example, do they test you to get back on board? Also, if people are being refused boarding because their coach transfer has a single positive case on it, what about shore excursion coaches? If someone subsequently becomes symptomatic and then is tested positive on board, does everyone on the coach excursion have to isolate and then be kindly led away to the nearest port?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bgees said:

I have been wondering this as well. If you go ashore on an excursion for example, do they test you to get back on board? Also, if people are being refused boarding because their coach transfer has a single positive case on it, what about shore excursion coaches? If someone subsequently becomes symptomatic and then is tested positive on board, does everyone on the coach excursion have to isolate and then be kindly led away to the nearest port?

At the moment non of the above. On Ventura now.

• Like 1

Assuming you have managed to get onboard after testing at say Southampton, in the event you decided not to get off at any ports at all, would that mean no testing whilst onboard ? Or will there be random checks ? Nobody seems to know and the cruise lines are saying - nothing.

1 hour ago, watsonbeau said:

Assuming you have managed to get onboard after testing at say Southampton, in the event you decided not to get off at any ports at all, would that mean no testing whilst onboard ? Or will there be random checks ? Nobody seems to know and the cruise lines are saying - nothing.

I think you would be far less likely to be tested in that scenario 

Unless there was a known significant  outbreak on board and/or there was someone who became positive on board (passenger or crew) who they could establish had been a close contact of yours on the ship

My parents sailed on Britannia last month on one of the last staycation cruises. They went to Liverpool and had to take an excursion to get off the ship (at that point they were still not allowed off independently) and they were not tested when they returned.

This is unrelated, but bizarrely the Guide informed them that they were not allowed to purchase anything from the Cathedral shop as P&O wouldn't allow items to be taken onboard due to the risk of spreading the virus...

5 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

and they were not tested when they returned.

But any test would be a waste of time. If you go ashore for three hours, no test in the world will determine if you have contracted Covid.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, watsonbeau said:

I am on Ventura at the moment no indication of any random testing.

A test is required if you wish to get off in Gibraltar