Contactless Current Vehicle Rentals?

SuzCruise

Has anyone used this new service from Current Vehicles?  It’s an on demand, app based way to rent a car from Current Vehicles.  I’m not sure what the rates are, other than they charge by the minute, 10 minutes or hour.  Has anyone use it that can shed some light on the cost and an opinion on the service?

TIA

• 2 months later...

I did not use the new app.

I did rent from them, more than once. Basically it was $99 per day, one day--up to 24 hours was the shortest rental period. But if you rented at say 3pm, you have until 3pm to return it the next day. There is a $30 fee to insure it, regardless of length of rental. 

It is great fun, easy to operate, and treated like a vehicle on the road. 

On 1/8/2022 at 1:04 PM, brzymom said:

I did not use the new app.

I did rent from them, more than once. Basically it was $99 per day, one day--up to 24 hours was the shortest rental period. But if you rented at say 3pm, you have until 3pm to return it the next day. There is a $30 fee to insure it, regardless of length of rental. 

It is great fun, easy to operate, and treated like a vehicle on the road. 

Could you give us more info on the rental/vehicle?  Where did you rent it (Dockyard)?  How long did the charge last?  2-seater?

You can go to their website for all the details. I picked up in Hamilton at the Princess Hotel. You can take ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton and from there it is a short walk to the hotel. I was staying on the island when I rented these, so I typically charged them at night (and the charging station s where I parked it for the night) but the charge always lasted more than one day, depending on how far you went with it. It has a gauge showing you amount of charge left and projected range left. The Twizzy seats two, with one behind the other. 

The vehicle is easy to operate. On the road it is treated as a vehicle by local drivers. I mention this because for many. many years I have rented scooters in Bermuda. Often tourists on scooters are not treated like a vehicle on the road. Local drivers pass, honk, and all this can make a nervous tourist even more nervous. Couple that with driving on left and the narrow, windy roads can make for a stressful experience. Much different in the Twizzy. More relaxing to drive and very easy to get around with. 

Edited by brzymom

19 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

Could you give us more info on the rental/vehicle?  Where did you rent it (Dockyard)?  How long did the charge last?  2-seater?

Current vehicles rentals are picked up as mentioned in Hamilton which also as stated is a quick ferry ride but there are other electric vehicles available for rent you might consider. There are four options. Gotobermuda has a list of options. The Tazzari can be rented at the Dockyard. 

https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/bermuda-car-rental-options

On 1/11/2022 at 12:14 PM, Charles4515 said:

Current vehicles rentals are picked up as mentioned in Hamilton which also as stated is a quick ferry ride but there are other electric vehicles available for rent you might consider. There are four options. Gotobermuda has a list of options. The Tazzari can be rented at the Dockyard. 

https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/bermuda-car-rental-options

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a good option if you wish to go exploring on your own and don't want to spend $$$ on a taxi.  The range of these vehicles, listed at 99KM, should allow you to go from Dockyard to St. George and back with a few extra stops added.

• 3 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 3:04 PM, philpcruiser said:

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a good option if you wish to go exploring on your own and don't want to spend $$$ on a taxi.  The range of these vehicles, listed at 99KM, should allow you to go from Dockyard to St. George and back with a few extra stops added.

Hay, it's Doug from our Summit roll call. Are you still planning to rent? I want to for two days, maybe three. I downloaded their app but have not signed on it yet. There is a need to put in a credit card info and DL scan (I think). I am waiting to get the virtual card thing working with my credit card first before I book anything.

It sounds like the new app is designed for very short term rentals, like an hour or so, We wanted to pick the Twizy up and keep it for 2-3 days. Logging onto the app each time we want to use the vehicle sounds like a PITA to me. I have emailed the fellow at Current and he is quick to reply, so I may go over some of my questions and concerns before I book it....either on the PC or through the app.

Please let me know how your booking goes if you still plan to do that.

Doug.

7 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Hay, it's Doug from our Summit roll call. Are you still planning to rent? I want to for two days, maybe three. I downloaded their app but have not signed on it yet. There is a need to put in a credit card info and DL scan (I think). I am waiting to get the virtual card thing working with my credit card first before I book anything.

It sounds like the new app is designed for very short term rentals, like an hour or so, We wanted to pick the Twizy up and keep it for 2-3 days. Logging onto the app each time we want to use the vehicle sounds like a PITA to me. I have emailed the fellow at Current and he is quick to reply, so I may go over some of my questions and concerns before I book it....either on the PC or through the app.

Please let me know how your booking goes if you still plan to do that.

Doug.

Since there are three of us, we'd need to rent two vehicles.  That's not going to work for us.  We might just hire a taxi and get a guided tour.  Or ferry to Hamilton one day, and ferry to st. George another day.  But, this hourly rental might sound like another option.  Pick up at dockyard?  

Edited by philpcruiser
Add text

8 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

Since there are three of us, we'd need to rent two vehicles.  That's not going to work for us.  We might just hire a taxi and get a guided tour.  Or ferry to Hamilton one day, and ferry to st. George another day.  But, this hourly rental might sound like another option.  Pick up at dockyard?  

The pickup at the Dockyard sounds like a good idea if it's available. Current's online (PC) web site still doesn't show a Dockyard pickup, so I don't know. I started my login creation on the phone/tablet app last night, but didn't finish it. I want to confirm a few things before booking, like where to pick up the Twizy, how their refund works if we have to cancel, and a few others I don't recall right now.

Cabs are expensive there, scooters are not for the over 50 crowd IMO, and buses are not as flexible, so I'm still thinking a rental will work for we two. I believe Bermuda also rents larger eCars, but I don't recall the company name, nor if they can carry three persons. Heck, at this point I'm not 100% our cruise will even operate! So much negative cruise stuff out there right now, hassles of testing, etc.

Doug

18 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

That app is meant for the local market. They are not dropping off vehicles. It is like the undocked bike rental or scooter companies in some cities where someone uses them for an hour and moves on. f you want to rent from Current Vehicle for a day or two you will need to pick up the vehicle up  in Hamilton. If you want to pick up a rental vehicle at the Dockyard then you need to rent from Bermuda Rental Car. https://bermudarentalcar.com/vehicles/tazzari  

There are no rental cars that can take three people. All are limited by law to two seats. 

26 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That app is meant for the local market. They are not dropping off vehicles. It is like the undocked bike rental or scooter companies in some cities where someone uses them for an hour and moves on. f you want to rent from Current Vehicle for a day or two you will need to pick up the vehicle up  in Hamilton. If you want to pick up a rental vehicle at the Dockyard then you need to rent from Bermuda Rental Car. https://bermudarentalcar.com/vehicles/tazzari  

There are no rental cars that can take three people. All are limited by law to two seats. 

Thanks Charles. What you wrote makes sense based on what I've seen on line and the YouTube video, especially the description of the Current phone app. Oddly enough, it was Current (via email) who said I ought to use their new app to rent when I emailed and asked about renting for multiple days. Their online site (not phone app) only allows me to rent for a day at $129. We want to rent for two days. I suppose I need to email him again and perhaps better explain my need.

Thanks for the link for Bermuda Rental Car, I will check that also.

Doug