Why??? Why is NCL.com soooo out of date

intrepid_guy

Hi I called NCL today to find out about excursions for July 16th

They told me that I would have to wait until May to find them out.

I did'nt have any other problems with NCL so far. They always seem

to want to help me. I do wonder why I have to wait so long to see

the excursions. It is a little upsetting to have to wait so long.

This is my first cruise and I am still wondering if we booked the right one?

I saw photos of the Spirit and think they are beautiful though.

Then I see things like this and I wonder if I made the right choice.

Guys what do you think? Thanks

Lady

NCL Spirit

July 16th 2006

Our first cruise.

We have not been on the Spirit.

Dawn 3-X's from NY

Jewel from NY

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

July out of NY must be wonderful....let us know:)

I agree they are so far behind in the times. Let's hope they do update their site in March. As for my frustration, I sent them this email and am still waiting a response (I did call them and to no avail as to answer from a live person)

When will you be updating this? I will be cruising in a few months on the Jewel and I have no idea what I can choose from. I am almost being forced into booking private tours.

The day after I emailed this message, they updated this on their web page!!! Coincidental?????

1. You see things like what? That people think NCL's website makes it hard to contact them? Or to complete transactions online? Or that the shore excursion options change so frequently that they don't "freeze" them until a few months before sailing?

2. You've booked, so the online transaction engine isn't the issue.

3. You've called them, so locating their contact info isn't the issue.

4. Why it is about this cruise that makes you wonder whether you've booked the wrong one? Are you trying to get to the Carribean, and this one is sailing the Indian Ocean? Just curious as to what is causing these doubts? Are you saying that even though you've done your research and are eager to sail to these ports, you might have a different opinion of the cruise based on which shore excursions the ship offers? Remember that you can ALWAYS book shore excursions on your own, and you don't have to use the companies that the ship is using. The difference is that you have to bring cash (or make other payment arrangements before leaving) as opposed to having them billed to your shipboard account, and there's no guarantee that the ship will wait for you if you're back late....but you're not stuck with whatever limited options NCL comes up with.

5. I haven't sailed on the Spirit (yet) but hear that it's a beautiful ship, and you should have a great time. So don't let the fact that some of us think NCL's website is out of date, hamper your enjoyment of your cruise.

Stephen

NCL is so far behind other Cruise Lines when it comes to their website. I wish they allowed actual pre-booking of shore excursions. Where you log in, see what shorex are offered for your cruise and are able to book and confirm right away (instead of pre requesting).

Discjoker and others,

Forgive me. What is the difference between pre-requesting an excursion vs actual booking? I have been on NCL 3 tiimes and pre-requested/booked excursions on each cruise, received an email from Shorex within several hours with the words "Shore Excursion Confirmation" splashed across the top of it. Although I have never had a problem, is it possible that I could be left out of an excursion, that is on my confirmation listing, for reasons other than the cruiseline has to cancel the entire tour due to some unforseen reason such as bad weather? Just wondering and thanks for the info.

5 weeks from today, NCL Jewel to the Western Caribbean

The excursions will appear prior to your cruise. Sometimes, they are simply getting everything set up with the operators of the excursions prior to publication.

May really isn't that long to wait; you are anxious because it is your first cruise. We all have had these feelings, and it will all work out beautifully.

Yes, you absolutely made a great decision. The Spirit is a beautiful ship, and wonderful to be on.

You will see negative and positive remarks on these boards about every aspect of each ship cruising on the seas. They are only opinions; not always factual.

Relax and enjoy your cruise. We were on the Spirit for our first cruise, and could not have been happier.

Good luck, and don't try to second guess your choice - it is a wonderful one!

Have a Great Cruise!:)

Discjoker and others,

Forgive me. What is the difference between pre-requesting an excursion vs actual booking? I have been on NCL 3 tiimes and pre-requested/booked excursions on each cruise, received an email from Shorex within several hours with the words "Shore Excursion Confirmation" splashed across the top of it. Although I have never had a problem, is it possible that I could be left out of an excursion, that is on my confirmation listing, for reasons other than the cruiseline has to cancel the entire tour due to some unforseen reason such as bad weather? Just wondering and thanks for the info.

5 weeks from today, NCL Jewel to the Western Caribbean

The difference is it is a fully automated process. You log in and see which excursions are available and which are not. You then select what you want and are instantly confirmed. Also, the layout is so much better and more user friendly. You are getting real time inventory of what shore excursions are available, it is nice. I am sure NCL will eventually move to a system like this...the key word is eventually though.

Also, other lines have a much more user friendly web customer service interface. I am a big fan of doing things myself, not a big fan of having to pick up the phone and call someone to accomplish things that could be done online.

None of that though is stopping me from cruising with NCL, it is just a small annoyance.

The day after I emailed this message, they updated this on their web page!!! Coincidental?????

No, it's not coincidental. And note that the shore ex documents were last updated in late January, so there's no excuse for them taking so long to get them posted.

It would be nice if they also posted the shore ex list for the transatlantics, at least one of which is taking place BEFORE the round-trip Barcelona itinerary for which excursions are now posted.

You know I am the one that started this thread due to my frustration at times with ncl.com, and all of you have responded as well sharing what you think needs to be changed. Now allegedly NCL is updating the website at the end of March, so we will have to wait to see what they upgrade and how good it is. Now I work for a large national company and we have a crappy website compared to other companies in the same field and customers complain and carry on about it and wonder why we can't "get a better website" in our case, the company dragged its feet for so long that now we have to spend millions to bring everything up to date including an online quoting and sales online... and it aint fast. So, on that hand I can see why NCL is so far behind and having a hard time catching up... the expense must be quite high especially if you want brand new systems like online booking of excursions. But with simple things like labeling photos correctly and updating photos and the deckplans... smacks of laziness.

~Intrepid

I am fairly new to Cruising. My upcoming Spirit cruise in June is only my 3rd cruise, and only the second one that we have planned ourselves. I do understand that it will be very expensive for NCL to update their website but on the other hand I really do wonder how much business they lose with the website that they have at present. Our previous cruise was on the Carnival Legend and there is absolutely no comparison, in regard to the websites. When I first booked this cruise, over a year ago, I found it on expedia, NOT NCL. When I did start going to NCL's website, I really couldn't believe my eyes. I mentioned it to my TA and she said, over a year ago, that NCL was going to be updating their website. I truly hope that at the end of March this will come to be. I think they have got to be losing business in a time where people rely so heavily on the internet. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

What I really wanted from their site was to be able to sign on with my reservation # and check the status of my "account"-things like when my balance was due, that my shore excursion reservations had been received (which they hadn't)-and links to any other important information concerning my sailing. Is that too much to ask? It is the one big flaw with NCL.

No, it's not coincidental. And note that the shore ex documents were last updated in late January, so there's no excuse for them taking so long to get them posted.

It would be nice if they also posted the shore ex list for the transatlantics, at least one of which is taking place BEFORE the round-trip Barcelona itinerary for which excursions are now posted.

I definetly noticed the January date at the bottom when I printed and wondered too why they didn't post them. Here I am checking every day for the update like a loonatic!! I think it was Norman that posted the webmasters email?? Try sending an email for your Transatlantic sailing. I never got a reply when I sent mine, but the site did get updated.

I'm sorry, it is noble for those of you who have defended NCL's website, but the fact of the matter is it is WAY behind the times. Another poster alluded to the fact that not labeling things correctly is pure laziness -- and it is. If you go to the Latitudes area, the "Hot Sails" section lists cruises that need to be booked with a deadline of the end of last year! It doesn't take a major investment in technology infrastructure to update that to current deals.

The Latitudes area should definitely have a feature similar to "my account" (one of you made this great suggestion in the first place). On Carnival, I was able to search for my number, and, after it found my number it applied my past cruise to the account. It even told me what cabin number I was in on that cruise!

I'm not just trying to bash NCL here. In fact the reason I (and I suspect many of you others) are so upset is because we like NCL so much, but we are upset at how they are lagging so far behind in the website department.

We know that decision makers read boards like this and the more suggestions we make, the better the website will be.

I'm sorry, it is noble for those of you who have defended NCL's website, but the fact of the matter is it is WAY behind the times. Another poster alluded to the fact that not labeling things correctly is pure laziness -- and it is.

Perhaps I may be accused of defending them, and I am not. I simply said to make huge changes or improvements costs vast amounts of money. I compared it to my own company - woefully behind the times when it comes to web based business. I think too, not a defense, an observation, many companies just did not believe the web would become this big or important... who knew (jsut a few years ago) people would start to move away from travel agents and book on the internet directly with the cruiseline (or airline, or hotel etc...) A few companies with vision, jumped on it at the beginning and have great websites (RCL, American Airlines, etc) while I believe others took a "wait and see" approach (NCL, USAir -though it is better than a few years ago) and now they are scrambling to get caught up. It does take time, but it is very frustrating for those customers that love that particular business. I (personally) love NCL - but they make me mad with that website. I am eagerly anticipating the revamped site and hope it will compare with other lines. If not, I will still use them , I certainly will not stop cruising with them due to their website.

Yes, not labeling things correctly drives me nuts. I noted in this thread when NCL updated the deck plans for the SPIRIT - but I checked the photos at ncl.com/hires and they still note Maxims and Taipan Bistro - etc... ARGH!!!:mad:

Still love you NCL!

~Intrepid

No help here -- I am wondering if I have made a mistake now that I have bitten the bullet and booked the Europe cruise -- not through the RUDE NCL agent, either. The itinerary was simply the best I could do with hubby's preferable dates, and the price was right. Let's just think positive -- let's just think that NCL's CEO reads this site and is just as concerned about fixing an outdated/outmoded website, and rude customer service as he is about fawning over THE Donald, since that little episode brought the line the worst possible PR.

No help here -- I am wondering if I have made a mistake now that I have bitten the bullet and booked the Europe cruise -- not through the RUDE NCL agent, either. The itinerary was simply the best I could do with hubby's preferable dates, and the price was right. Let's just think positive -- let's just think that NCL's CEO reads this site and is just as concerned about fixing an outdated/outmoded website, and rude customer service as he is about fawning over THE Donald, since that little episode brought the line the worst possible PR.

Never had a "rude" NCL agent:confused:

My telephone call yesterday to NCL was handled beautifully. I spoke with an articulate, well informed Customer Service agent, who was polite in every way. At the end of the conversation, she gave me her personal extension, with well wishes, and expressed that if any further service was needed, to please call her personally. What more could one ask for?

At least, once you have made your selection for the type of service you wish with NCL, you don't continue to get numerous automated responses with requests for you to enter another number, make a different selection, etc. You actually soon hear a friendly human voice.

I find banks, huge corporations, insurance companies, etc. much more difficult to deal with, as one is very likely to never reach a human - only more options with the automated phone.

I believe politeness is needed from the caller at all times, as well as the customer representative. Negative calls, from angry customers, must set a tone that would make it very difficult for the rep to maintain a completely cordial conversation going. This is human nature.

I find banks, huge corporations, insurance companies, etc. much more difficult to deal with, as one is very likely to never reach a human - only more options with the automated phone.

You can fight back!

Check out this guide here:

http://gethuman.com/us/

Where there's a will, there's a way. Don't fall to the machine's pray! :D

Cheers,

Norman

Cosmo,

Maybe the woman I talked to at NCL was just as frustrated as I was with not being able to get an answer to my question -- I just wanted to know what date you would fly out of this country if you used NCL's air to Europe. It just seemed to me that aprx 90 days out, NCL should know. There seemed to be a confusion because of what one of the major travel sites was posting regarding this. I must admit I can get abrupt in business situations when I cannot get answers to basic questions, so I probably precipitated her behavior.

Just noticed this- had to laugh:

If you go to the incredibly in depth "NCL Destinations" part of the NCL site and look for the average temperatures in the Bahamas and Caribbean you will see June through December only... Helpful? YOU BET!

I just wanted to know what date you would fly out of this country if you used NCL's air to Europe.
This has nothing to do with their web site but in my experience, having used NCL air to

Europe, South America and Asia, you fly out in order to get to the embarkation city on the day of sailing unless you buy a pre stay package.

Further illustration that NCL's web site is outdated:

The promotional video fro the Majesty states that the ship recently completed a "chop-and-stretch", yeah guys, in 1999!! :p

No WAY. That's the worst so far! You win/lose!

Not that I doubt your experience with a rude NCL rep (I've had my share of customer service telephone warfare), but I have had nothing but positive experiences on the phone with NCL over the past month. For my initial deposit, the rep was very patient and pleasant and answered all my neurotic questions. Second, there was an error on the Alaskan shore excursions website listings, which, by the way, I had booked online and received an e-mail confirmation within one day. I e-mailed the shore ex department and had a response the next day with a prompt solution. I even exchanged pleasantries with the e-mail rep and received a "it is truly my pleasure to assist you." Third, I noticed that a corner cabin (in the same category) opened up on my sailing. I called the reassignment desk and the wonderful woman spoke to her supervisor and called me back within 10 minutes to tell me that they moved me with no problem (even though that cabin was several hundred more than what I paid). Finally, upon making my final payment yesterday, the rep was extremely nice and asked several questions about my sailing.

So I apologize for going "off topic" but I want readers to hear about good experiences too! And if I have just been lucky in the rep roulette game, I hope it continues!

And for the record, as you can see from my signature, I am not an NCL loyalist/cheerleader, but may be on my way to being one god willing!

Archived