Train/Bus combo in Skagway

Suzi66

We are on attempt number 3 to get to Alaska and this may be a once only trip (we are from Australia) so I am attempting to plan a lot of must sees.

We are planning on doing two excursions in Skagway and the second will be the train or a train/bus combo.
I know the train is just train up and back, no stops.
What I am wondering is if you do the bus combo, either the 3.5 hour or 4.15 hour do you have stops along the way for photographs (I know the 4.15 stops at the Red Onion at the end of the tour), or is it travelling in the bus the whole journey?

Because of doing 2 excursions in the same day my husband would feel more comfortable if they were with the ship but I think we have enough leeway if we do the shorter one to use a private company.

Am I correct that you're looking at round-trip excursions from Skagway to Fraser and return, one-way by railroad and the other way by motorcoach? The railroad itself is only now preparing its 2022 excursions. It seems that for 2022 it is offering motorcoach connections at Fraser only for through passage between Skagway and Whitehorse, and not for round-trip excursions from Skagway (it is offering such excursions to Carvross, but that is 8 hours return). Perhaps the railroad will add such excursions, but at least for now it would appear that such excursions are only being offered by separate tour companies. My understanding is that most tour companies schedule the motorcoach trip for two hours between Skagway and the train arrival or departure time at Fraser, with actual driving being about one hour, plus time as needed for immigration and customs. So that leaves some time for quick photo stops here or there, but likely not anything substantial (especially when traveling by motorcoach from Skagway to Fraser, and with the need to make the connection on-time, less time pressure on if traveling by motorcoach from Fraser to Skagway, as there is no connection to be met). But the details will vary depending on the tour company's choice of charter bus service to be provided.

We have done the bus up train down booked directly with Chilkoot.

The bus up (small van type) did make a couple of stops for photo's and easily did this due to their size. We had a wonderful driver, a life long resident of Skagway . That bus trip up was just great.

The train down got us back to Skagway right around noon...the timing was perfect.

Check out booking this directly with Chilkoot on their website.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

We did this in 2013 and booked direct through Chilkoot Charters I think it was called.  It was a great trip, a mini bus from Skagway to Carcross I believe.  The driver was great and stopped multiple times for pictures.  The train back stopped along the way for lunch and then continued back down to Skagway.  I would not hesitate to do this again.  

Just as a note- Chilkoot is currently only taking requests- they are waiting until things settle down and they know what they going to be able to do this summer. We booked from our cruiseline and also made a request with Chilkoot. Assuming that Chilkoot is able to offer their cruises we will cancel the cruiseline reservations. 

5 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Just as a note- Chilkoot is currently only taking requests- they are waiting until things settle down and they know what they going to be able to do this summer. We booked from our cruiseline and also made a request with Chilkoot. Assuming that Chilkoot is able to offer their cruises we will cancel the cruiseline reservations. 

Oops- Chilkoot is able to offer their excursions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marx said:

They are still only taking requests.  I was just put on their waitlist yesterday for a May 25th tour.

My attempt to correct what I originally posted made it worse- Chilkoot doesn’t offer cruises but rather excursions. And yes- we were also just put on their list for a late July excursion.

Does anyone know if it's better to take the train up at 7:30 with the train at the end of the 8 hour day or to take the train up at 9:30 a.m. and then conclude with the bus ride?  Also, just wondering if the ship might not just use Chilkoot tours for their tours or if they actually run their own tour?

2 hours ago, maureenk said:

Does anyone know if it's better to take the train up at 7:30 with the train at the end of the 8 hour day or to take the train up at 9:30 a.m. and then conclude with the bus ride?

It is the train that departs Skagway earlier in the morning, and with the bus departing Skagway later in the morning. The train is slower than the bus, so it needs to depart earlier, then the train and bus both get to Carcross around the same time, exchange passengers, with the bus getting back to Skagway earlier than the train.

• Like 1

Wow my apologies - I see I really mistyped my question. The 7:30 am is the train up and the bus back. The 9 am is the bus and train back down. If anyone has suggestions on the preferred way to do this I’d love to hear it. Thanks in advance!!

On 2/21/2022 at 11:27 PM, GTJ said:

It is the train that departs Skagway earlier in the morning, and with the bus departing Skagway later in the morning. The train is slower than the bus, so it needs to depart earlier, then the train and bus both get to Carcross around the same time, exchange passengers, with the bus getting back to Skagway earlier than the train.

On 2/23/2022 at 10:12 PM, maureenk said:

Wow my apologies - I see I really mistyped my question. The 7:30 am is the train up and the bus back. The 9 am is the bus and train back down. If anyone has suggestions on the preferred way to do this I’d love to hear it. Thanks in advance!!

Some say it can be foggy in the morning, so you may not get the best views from the train taking it first. Others say it may be clear early and foggy later. We took the bus first and train back and it worked out well for us. If you don’t want to be rushed in the morning, taking the bus first is the best option.

On 2/23/2022 at 10:12 PM, maureenk said:

Just an off hand view point -

Take the bus up and train back -

Foul cool morning weather will be taken care of in a warm sheltered bus -

The return trip will be perhaps when the weather has blown off and cleared.

Excursion time wise -

The train up - Bus back offers more shore visiting time after the excursion

although an earlier start -

Bus travels faster than the train 

Google Map - ZOOM in and follow the tracks or roadway to Carcross -

The train travels more miles and is grade limited in going over the Summit -

The bus is more direct.

Google Maps

Train and Bus share the same routing from Fraser to Chilkoot